my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Our Galaxy.......   » General Discussion   » statistics

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: statistics
Padme of Hidden Lake

Really Nice Member

Member # 107

posted 09-03-2002 11:05 PM     Profile for Padme of Hidden Lake   Author's Homepage   Email Padme of Hidden Lake     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ok jsut a question for all you science minded people out there...

I have a huge project to do in which and for which I must use Research journals - now the subject matter I can understand just fine but the statistics with all thier numbers just lose me I have no idea how to interpret them as I have never been taught...

Any suggestions or ideas where I could find a statistically help guide to navagate all those strage symbols and give the numbers some meaning???

--------------------

A friend once told me "The Turtle Moves" I think we should all remember that right now...
Don't dance to live, live to dance!

Posts: 319 | From: Wandering the planet | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 204.168.82.9
Mara1Jade

Expanded Universe Goddess and Corran Obsessor

Member # 68

posted 09-05-2002 09:52 AM     Profile for Mara1Jade   Author's Homepage   Email Mara1Jade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, I'm not particularly science-minded, but I have done alot of stuff in reference to research statistics. It would be helpful if you mentioned what sort of research and statistics you are looking at.

--------------------

Small minds think in small terms!
~~CMH, creator and writer of Shayla Petrolu, Erik Kartan, Shawn Petrolu, Terrin Danner, Jasyn Lancaster, Matt Stanza, Aaron Barnes, And Taylor Garrison~~

Posts: 972 | From: Jacksonville, FL, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  Logged: 66.20.157.94
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-05-2002 12:16 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Is this a normal research paper where you just collect information and translate it into a paper, or the kind where you are winnowing out your own hypothesis, then setting up your controlled experiment (hypothetically speaking: ie, what you would do), and then presenting the data
"obtained" in a statistical report? If the latter, then you should be at a collegiate level in your education, and ought to be under the auspices of a Ph.D advisor who will assist you. If the former, is it merely the interpretation of the resources you are uncovering that seems to be the problem?

I agree with Mara1: we need more information from you if we're going to be able to help you at all.

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.209.6
Padme of Hidden Lake

Really Nice Member

Member # 107

posted 09-05-2002 07:04 PM     Profile for Padme of Hidden Lake   Author's Homepage   Email Padme of Hidden Lake     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
it's the first - we have to research a pressing issue in elementary education as part of our practum work and then incorporate what we find into our classroom, to do this we need to use professional research journals to find teh "experts" findings - and they all write thier results in statistical form which I don't understand at all. All the .00394's and >'s and <'s and the other bizarre symbols only deepen my confusion (I never was one to understand numbers easily) Is there an "easy" code "key" for interpretting all of these?

--------------------

A friend once told me "The Turtle Moves" I think we should all remember that right now...
Don't dance to live, live to dance!

Posts: 319 | From: Wandering the planet | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 204.168.82.9

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05