my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Our Galaxy.......   » General Discussion   » Gravitons

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: Gravitons
Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 08-22-2002 11:33 PM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok, in accordence to all the scientific discussions that have been happening of late, what are you peoples opinions on "gravitons" do they exist? or is it just a scientist got bored and decided to start an epic quest?

i personaly believe they do, if its been proven wronge sense the last i heard, well, yell at me...and if no one knows what a gravaton is...ill explain, im not sure if this has been publicly decleared as a theory yet. so i donno i just remember i learned about the suposide little buggers, and it really interested me

--------------------

"Insert Snappy quote here"

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.219.72.206
Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 08-22-2002 11:36 PM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Entaris is on fire....
Posts: 1163 | From: Ardmore, OK | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 66.156.195.99
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 08-23-2002 11:24 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hehehe....

Ahhh, yes: the elusive and teeeeeeeenty-weenty graviton. Small beastie it is purported to be, and when finally tracked will be the mightiest critter to come down the pike.

For this particle has been proven mathematically to exist. (Hey, this is what cosmology is all about, folks: hypothesizing, theorizing via mathematical proofs, then the hunt for verifying factual evidence begins....) The big whoop-de-doo about it is that so far gravity is the only "unknown" force in the Universe (to our knowledge, heh.) So far we can only measure it and study it via the effects it has on mass. All other forces and their behaviors have been linked to particles; but not gravity.

So when the elusive graviton is found, this will act as the verifying proof to substantiate what physicists call the Grand Unifying Theory: that ALL forces in the Universe act in accordance to the behavior of itty-bitty particles... er, waves... ummm, wavicles, that is....

[ 08-23-2002 12:17 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3908 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.209.6
Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 08-23-2002 12:01 PM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
its a shame we dont have that one crazy dude that discovered the number of newtons wonderful "G" heh, of all the scientists i've learned of, he's the coolest one...i cant remember his name though! started with a P...graysith who was it? the dude that realized newtons "G" in his gravity law was the number 6.785 x 10 to the -11 power, or something close to that...damn freaken small number...

anyway, ya, i think this could be big! heck, if we learned enough about gravitons, we could actauly learn to make gravity drives and be able to move through the universe at extremly fast velocity's...just imagin...

--------------------

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.227.22.216
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 08-23-2002 12:14 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OK Entaris, you HAD to ask, grrrrr....

Runs to find physics book with the answer in it... this might take awhile....

Meanwhile, did you know NASA has an entire department currently devoted to nothing but brainstorming means by which the speed of light limitations may be, ummm, "by-passed?"

--------------------

Posts: 3908 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.209.6
Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 08-23-2002 10:05 PM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hmm...faster then the speed of light...that presents a bit of a problem...i mean, i just realized this, but, if one was to be moving faster then the speed at which light moves, i would imagin, that the complete lack of light that that would mean, would screw your eyes up bad, i mean, even in utter darkness, we still have some light...but moving faster then it can reach you, that could wack your eyes up, how would you pilot the ship anyway? i mean, you couldnt disactivate it, because there would be no light to find the switch...

and also, could it be possible, that moving that fast would cause light to actualy act as if it had mass? like, you turn on a light while in this speed, and the light particals tear through you, and the shuttle...

hmm...oh well, guess we'll have to find out...

--------------------

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.227.22.46
Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 08-23-2002 11:26 PM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I just noticed how much switch sounds like... SANDWICH...

[ 08-23-2002 11:26 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Loban ]

Posts: 1163 | From: Ardmore, OK | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 66.156.195.99
Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 08-24-2002 12:51 AM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
umm...ya loban...and people wonder how these discussions get out of context...

--------------------

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.219.72.12
Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 08-24-2002 01:08 AM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I apologize... domo origato for the heads up...
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 08-24-2002 01:43 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Entaris: we cannot go faster than light in the "normal" sense of thought. Instead, we are going to have to "by-pass" the limitations by warping spacetime somehow. (Actually there is a theory that looks promising; only problem is the ship would have to carry more fuel than it could, and the amount of fuel necessary in this theoretical situation increases exponentially with velocity, or something like that. But it's a start.)

And the questions you pose about "going faster than light and wouldn't it be dark?" -- well, that's where relativity steps in. Light travels 300,000 km/s NO MATTER WHAT. Independent of the observer. Even travelling at lightspeed, light still comes to you at lightspeed.

Something's got to give, however... time slows down instead. Hehe; weird, huh?

Oh yeah, THIS is proven as well! Not at velocity's approaching lightspeed, but at more mundane airspeed velocities. Extremely sensitive clocks that are TIMED EXACTLY with stationary counterparts were put aboard a plane and sent around the world against the world's rotation. Time slowed in the flying plane, for the clock onboard was a couple millionths of a second behind the one that stayed on the ground when they were compared.

Hehehe... I just love this stuff!

--------------------

Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 08-24-2002 01:46 AM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
...and what about ludicrous speed? sorry, I couldn't help it...

[ 08-24-2002 01:48 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Loban ]

Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 08-24-2002 01:54 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Groans mightily... and kicks Loban upside the head with a reverse roundhouse for being impertinent....

[ 08-24-2002 01:55 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 08-24-2002 01:58 AM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
point taken... Lo-Ban gets up and slowly walks out of the room... ....

... ...

... ...

[ 08-24-2002 02:01 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Loban ]

Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 08-24-2002 03:41 PM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ya, i was told about the whole time slowing down thing...heh, this was the senario given to us.

Everyone in the classroom has a watch, the teacher is at the head of the classroom, everyone is still, all watches are working exactly the same, but, as soon as the teacher starts walking around the classroom, his watch works differently then everyone elses, because for him time is slowling down.

course, at that slow a speed, its not noticable, but its there... hmm...isnt physics fun? gotta love those concepts that make you stop and think "hmm...thats strange..."

--------------------

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.227.22.30
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 08-24-2002 03:46 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
But the best part about it is that it's not merely a "concept...."

IT'S A FACT!!!

--------------------

Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 08-24-2002 03:50 PM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
heh, ya...Facts that make you say the first time that you hear them "umm...and you mastered in this subject did you?" and then the teacher say's "well, this is how it works" and you go "oh...wow...amazing..." then you go home and tell your parants and they say' "umm...is this teacher smokin crack?"

that was always my favorite part, telling my parants, thats the only subject i ever bothred to tell my parants what we did in class.

--------------------

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.227.22.30
Padme of Hidden Lake

Really Nice Member

Member # 107

posted 08-27-2002 09:07 PM     Profile for Padme of Hidden Lake   Author's Homepage   Email Padme of Hidden Lake     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ah the Theory of Relativity - I loved that part of physics!!!!!!!!!

BUT GS you couldn't have told me BEFORE I left about the plane thing - it would have made my longer to get back than get there flight a tinsy bit less scary if I knew that I was in the air for even the tinsiest bit less time than that which passed on the ground - considering my feeling about planes and heights in general that is....

--------------------

A friend once told me "The Turtle Moves" I think we should all remember that right now...
Don't dance to live, live to dance!

Posts: 319 | From: Wandering the planet | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 204.168.82.9

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05