my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Our Galaxy.......   » General Discussion   » Here's one for ya....

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: Here's one for ya....
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 08-21-2002 01:09 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OK, it has come to my attention that there are a lot of people out there (not necessarily on this site alone) who truly believe that there is a Force.

Thoughts... opinions... feelings, anyone?

[ 08-21-2002 01:09 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.197.189
Taehun

Dark Jedi

Member # 290

posted 08-21-2002 03:26 PM     Profile for Taehun   Author's Homepage   Email Taehun     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmm...that's a tough question to answer, but I'll try it...

Do I believe there is a force, as described in the star wars universe? No, not really.

Do I believe that some of the effects of the force are capable by humans? Yes, I think so. My main 'theory' is that many things that happen in the star wars books/movies, etc., that are attributed by the force, would be possible if our brain was used at full capacity. Supposedly, only 10% of our brain is used at peak capacity, so if our entire brain was being used to focus on one thing, I think we might be capable of telekinesis, 'mind tricks', or superhuman feats.

Remember "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon"? I know that some of the stuff, like flying around was a little ridiculous, but there are several Asian movies that depict actors doing stunts like these. That's because there are several ancient Asian texts that refer to people who train themselves enough in Martial Arts to be able to control their bodies in such a manner that they have absolute control over what their body can do. For example, in the 'final' level of Hwoarang-do, the predecessor of Tae Kwon Do and Tang Soo Do, one should be able to heal themself of almost any wound by concentrating on it. If humans can do that, and I believe that we can, then it is almost impossible to tell what else we are capable of.

Anyway, those are my thoughts.

--------------------

All in all it was just another brick in the wall,
all in all you were just another brick in the wall.

Posts: 248 | From: USAFA, CO | Registered: Jul 2002  |  Logged: 198.81.17.182
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 08-21-2002 06:00 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Raises finger to make a point....

Ahh-- I wish to point out a small descrepency, which is actually a misconception most people hold. We DO use all of our brain, primarily for memory storage. The fact is that on the average we are only using about 10% of it at any given time. There are no "unused portions" laying about, shrouded in mystery and waiting to be used.

Perhaps if we could use more than that 10% at any given time, we'd make faster neural connections, and connect more disparate portions of the brain, and thus come to conclusions faster regarding inputting data. IE: we'd be better at brainstorming, and perhaps then could figure out how some really strange things do happen... which I believe they do, but only by means we perhaps are not able to test/measure and thus justify/explain as yet.

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.197.176
Taehun

Dark Jedi

Member # 290

posted 08-22-2002 12:55 AM     Profile for Taehun   Author's Homepage   Email Taehun     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, my exact words weren't that we only use 10% of our brain, but perhaps I could've worded what I was saying a little better. What I meant was that around 10% of our brain is used more often and more actively than the rest of the brain. If we used our brain as a whole as actively as we use those other parts, maybe we could be capable of doing some weird stuff...

--------------------

All in all it was just another brick in the wall,
all in all you were just another brick in the wall.

Posts: 248 | From: USAFA, CO | Registered: Jul 2002  |  Logged: 198.81.16.162
Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 08-22-2002 02:12 AM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok, a few of you might have heard me in chat rambling about my crazy friend? well, heres what me and him believe, and thats why i was rambling abotu killing him, because heres how it works, in our beliefes at least, not to disagree with anyone elses:

The Life force, or Chi, some refere to it as Ki, is an energy sorce that flows through every living thing, and in this life force, all things are living, including rocks, trees, anything that is apart of nature, has Chi within it, making up its intire being. now, this said, lets move on to the question at hand...

Some, are born from birth witht he natural ability to Menipulat this life force, like my friend, and myself, these people, have natural strength in different area's of the life force, Such as my friend, has the ability to manipulat psycic energy, IE seeign the future, reading minds, that kinda stuff, I myself, am in touch with the "heart" which is basicly empathic energy, or feeling what others feel.
there are also many other aspects of these abilities, and some that while not born with the ability to use this life force, can indeed learn to use it with a little time, and effort, all in the universe are capable of using it, but its only those that strive for it, to seek enlightenment, rather then to just have a cool power, that can actauly reach and and grasp the CHI

anyway, ya, these are my personal beliefs, if this helps anyone out there, maybe opens an eye or something, im glade i could be of help, but, if anyone thinks this is the most BS piece of writing i ever could do, well, you are certainly as welcome to your opinion, as i am to mine, so go to it, and please, let me hear your thoughts, im eager to learn

--------------------

"Insert Snappy quote here"

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.227.22.30
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 08-22-2002 10:58 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Once more George Lucas's entrancement with All Things Eastern is clearly evident, for you have described his "Force" to the proverbial "T." Chi/ki is the basis for eastern philosophy... and that's all I'm going to say about THAT.

Whether or not it actually exists, I'm reserving judgment on that until the data come in, folks. "Psychic" abilities may or may not truly exist; while the majority of such phenomena have been explained away in the light of science, I DO say "majority."

"There is more to heaven and earth than was ever dreamed of, Horatio..." to sadly misquote.

But as far as being "naturally-geared" via one's "chi" toward being empathetic; well, that might just be due to how one has been raised. All the data one has inputted into one's own personal system, and so on. More like: the environment controls us more than we think, rather than us always having such a firm grip on the environment.

Don'tcha just love philosophy? There are no right or wrong answers... just beliefs... and that's the crux of the matter, folks.

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 64.12.96.79
Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 08-22-2002 12:46 PM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ya, philosiphy is fun... my firmist belief is to state simply "Mind over matter" if you truly believe somethign with all your heart, it becomes reality, and thats how i say "every religion is correct" inlcuding lack there of, if you dont believe in god, then god does not influance your life. if you do, then god does.
as for what you said graysith, "they way you were raised" that is true, but perhaps not in the manor your implying, I was raised to believe in the "super natural" and the "meta-physical" so, i recognize somethings that happen as clearly that... for example, just knowing that you will see someone you havnt seen in a long time today, or something like that. being able to lift a 5 ton truck because its required, that superhuman "motherly" strength that parants seem to get when there children are in trouble, its all apart of your mind-set.

to put it in a wonderful little quote. "the world is a dream, a dream that is changed by your every thought, all things are possible in a dream, and so to are possible in reality"

the main theory to my beliefes are, that you have "physical" limitations, that are imprinted in your mind, but, to quote the main man himself, "try not, DO, there is no try" basicly, when you stop trying to do somethign, and simply do it, it can happen...

--------------------

"Insert Snappy quote here"

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.225.96.95

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05