my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Our Galaxy.......   » General Discussion   » America

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: America
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 08-17-2002 10:41 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think all of us that frequent this place are Americans, so I can ask this question. I was wondering, in your eyes, what makes America great, or, bad, whichever you think of it as.

I'm being serious now, so don't say the women.

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 12.220.189.75
LumbiaSith

Padawan

Member # 250

posted 08-17-2002 10:43 PM     Profile for LumbiaSith   Author's Homepage   Email LumbiaSith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I believe what makes it good, as we all know is the freedom. The freedom of speech-but we do have limits, which keep us civilized. What makes it bad is certain people. Certain people are evil, and hideous, and alot of them are at the top. Thats the simple way of seeing it, but alot fo times the good beats out the bad, and the bad beats out the good. It's barley balanced...if you ask me

And why does it matter, we are the best place in the world, and all are ciztens know it-even though their is alot of bad....but as I said above, the good beats out the bad alot of the time.

[ 08-17-2002 10:44 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by LumbiaSith ]

--------------------

"I am here to redeem myself. See, The Fate of the universe lies in my hands! I will take up the challenge!"

-Lumbia Whitfield

Posts: 1143 | From: In space... | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 12.213.76.134
Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 08-17-2002 11:55 PM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
umm...the thing that makes this nation great, is that while sometimes, we war with ourselvse a little, you know, PvP stuff, a lot of anger towards eachother, and towards the goverment, BUT when it comes down to it, we stick together when theres a need, we can go from "You dirty good for nothing naber" to "EARL GET YER KIDS! WE GOTTA GET OUTA HERE! DID YA SEE THE KNEWS! WERE GONNA BE BOMBED! YOU FIRST! ILL HOLD OF THE GERMINS AS LONG AS I CAN BUDDY!"

and why is this possible? because of, as lumbia said, freedom, freedom to do whatever we want as long as its not hurting anyone, or breaking a law(and yes, there are tons of laws, but that keeps the idiots alive, which is another great thing about our nation)

oh, and dont forget, were the only nation that fond a need to put a warning on the end of a gun baral that say's "warning, objects exit from end of barle at extremly high volicities" which in itself might not make sense(if your looking at the warrning its not gonna do you much good as its at the end of the baral) it is at least in good heat... oh ya, and uncle bens rice bowls warn that the food will be hot, gotta love it@!

--------------------

"Insert Snappy quote here"

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.219.72.226
TheKnot

Member # 213

posted 08-18-2002 12:01 AM     Profile for TheKnot   Author's Homepage   Email TheKnot     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree with Lumbia; America is made great with its sense of freedom, with limits on it to prevent chaos and anarchy. Especially since this country managed to prosper from simple colonies from foreign lands...

Ah, but there is one, small nagging little thing: America, 'the best place in the world.'

I have to admit it, we are the strongest country in the world, but I'm basing that on a military perspective. To be the 'best country in the world', I think that would have to depend on how people feel overall about the country and its policies like with crime, pollution, its own government, and our relationship with other countries which, I hate to say, really isn't looking too good right now...(Middle East, Asia, etc.)

'All our citizens' probably do think highly of this country, but don't forget some of these citizens are part of this new wave of child kidnappings and child molestations in Churches that just happened recently. Sure, its on evil intentions, but these people still have lived in the US long enough to think they can screw over the system.

But, thats not what I think makes America bad, since we all know those things are evil anyways. What makes America bad, in my opinion, are people who have let their pride or beliefs of this country blind their reason and their ability to see the truth, and unfortunately that kind of people are on top. The truth is: We need help. Badly.

--------------------

Take President 'Dubya' Bush and cut him in two. On the left side, there will be nothing right and on the right side, there will be nothing left.

Posts: 204 | From: Maryland | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 68.50.185.134
LumbiaSith

Padawan

Member # 250

posted 08-18-2002 02:06 AM     Profile for LumbiaSith   Author's Homepage   Email LumbiaSith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Child Molestation/Kidnapping has going on for years on end, its a thing that wont be stopped, only surpressed by awaring kids as we do now. This year is the less out of the three previous year, so its just that we are seeing it on the news much more, and the media is paying attetion to it, much more..

--------------------

"I am here to redeem myself. See, The Fate of the universe lies in my hands! I will take up the challenge!"

-Lumbia Whitfield

Posts: 1143 | From: In space... | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 12.213.76.134
Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 08-18-2002 12:28 PM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
bah, it can be stoped... give kids guns and tell then to shot anyone that does anything bad to them...that'll teach the damn sick bastards...

--------------------

"Insert Snappy quote here"

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.227.22.192
TheKnot

Member # 213

posted 08-18-2002 02:25 PM     Profile for TheKnot   Author's Homepage   Email TheKnot     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
LOL Entaris

--------------------

Take President 'Dubya' Bush and cut him in two. On the left side, there will be nothing right and on the right side, there will be nothing left.

LumbiaSith

Padawan

Member # 250

posted 08-18-2002 03:04 PM     Profile for LumbiaSith   Author's Homepage   Email LumbiaSith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What if the kids is one of those people that raide school, or hate school. They'll end up jumping in school with a Desert Eagle, or a Glock, firing at everyone-knocking them to the ground like a bunch fo idiots.

Dumb punks...

--------------------

-Lumbia Whitfield

TheKnot

Member # 213

posted 08-18-2002 07:24 PM     Profile for TheKnot   Author's Homepage   Email TheKnot     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You mean like 'gangster'-like school shootouts or emotionally crippled school shootouts?

--------------------

Taehun

Dark Jedi

Member # 290

posted 08-18-2002 07:35 PM     Profile for Taehun   Author's Homepage   Email Taehun     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What makes America great?

Well, I think it can be summed up in one point:

Only in America can you protest something by burning the nation's flag. I'm not saying I agree with flag burning...I actually detest it, but as Americans, we have the right to do what we want, and that includes protesting our government's actions.

[ 08-18-2002 07:36 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Taehun ]

--------------------

All in all it was just another brick in the wall,
all in all you were just another brick in the wall.

Posts: 248 | From: USAFA, CO | Registered: Jul 2002  |  Logged: 198.81.17.37
LumbiaSith

Padawan

Member # 250

posted 08-18-2002 08:43 PM     Profile for LumbiaSith   Author's Homepage   Email LumbiaSith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheKnot:[QB]You mean like 'gangster'-like school shootouts or emotionally crippled school shootouts?[/QB]

A gangster would jump in the school shotting people. They wouldn't do it at all. Im talking about kids with emotional trouble, and cant handle being made fun of so shoots at someone.

--------------------

-Lumbia Whitfield

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05