my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Our Galaxy.......   » General Discussion   » Bush the Imperialist

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: Bush the Imperialist
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 06-06-2002 10:04 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
As I watched CSPAN today, some democrat from Ohio brought up a good point that has until now, been ignored. Of course, it's still ignored by the press....

The argument was that the President doesn't have the right/ability to withdraw the US from any treaty, without approval from one or both houses of the congress. The proof for that statement is this:

quote:
Article 6 of the Constitution
This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land;...

That means that the ABM treaty was the supreme law of the land. Why does the President get to break the law and none of us can?

Republicans argue this: Tha ABM Treaty says in it that in order for a nation to leave the treaty, 6 months prior notice must be given to the other parties. 6 months notice was given, and therefore it's ok. And since the ABM Treaty was aproved by the Senate, they knew that's what it said, and it's allowed.

But then I say that there is this other document that basically says, "Hold Up Bitch." I see is like this. In order to remove the nation from a treaty (the law of the land), approval is needed, or else it's breaking the law, and you ought to be arrested. See, in order to withdraw from the treaty, you must give Russia 6 months notice (due to the ABM Treaty), then you have to approve the action via the congress (due to the US Constitution).

It's kind of hard to explain, but what do you think?

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 172.164.189.230
Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 06-07-2002 09:10 AM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Totaly agree with you...If all requirments arent met, it is breaking the law, you got yourself a really good point there....

--------------------

"Insert Snappy quote here"

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.225.96.13
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 06-07-2002 09:54 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmmm...do we have another Palpatine in the making here?

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.198.156
Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 06-07-2002 10:00 AM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
are you comparing Bush to palpatine? hrmm, well, they would actually look quite simeler should bush wear the black robs and don the black hood...you could be right, attitude is kinda flowing two.... oh well, we will have to just find out wont we?

--------------------

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.225.96.13
Big Evil Tree

unregistered

posted 06-07-2002 03:22 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nah, Bush isn't like palpy, he doesn't look like him anyway, not rinkly enough, he looks more like a chimp and with some of the statements i've heard him make and his IQ he's got the intelligence of a chimp aswell (slight over exagiration).

You complain about Bush breaking laws that your country has depended on for many many year to hold it together but you've got to understand, no matter how perfect ANY country looks, they aren't, under the mask there's a web of lies and deciet, what you see is just ONE of the laws that your goverment has broken over the years, some you see some you don't, either way laws are broken by goverments so they can justify alsorts of things, from spying on people secretly, to selling the drugs that they capture to gain whats called "Black Funds" and commiting the terrorism that they are so opposed to on other contries. Now i'm not saying England is perfect, hell, our goverment is one of the worst for holding secrets from its citizens!

[ 06-07-2002 03:25 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Big Evil Tree ]

Logged: 62.30.0.2
Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 06-07-2002 03:57 PM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ok, while you do have an excelent point(and bush does look like a chimp but thats besides the point) one of the gratest lines ever made was "Ignorence is bliss" so it only matters when we notice something go wronge :P but really now, i think the best move for the Good ol' us of A is to elect someone that has an iq of over 30 as presedent for once(bush is closer then clinton, but still, no sagar) Perhaps all the kingdoms of the world need to unite, this perspective may not make sense, and my reason wont make sense either, but it has worked well for the world in books i have read. If we all treat eachother like brothers, we should be good. but then again, im just a poor little teenager, with views dictated by the books i read...

--------------------

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.227.22.76
TheKnot

Member # 213

posted 06-07-2002 04:19 PM     Profile for TheKnot   Author's Homepage   Email TheKnot     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
President Bush is violating the Constitution! Why the hell won't Congress or the Supreme Court or SOMEBODY in the federal government point this out?

I never liked 'Dubya' ever since he ran for President...he's been nothing but a weenie ever since...

(Extra!: This is COMPLETELY irrelevant to the discussion here, but I swear, when I was watching the Lord of the Rings movie when it came out, the dark lord Sauron somehow reminded of G. W. Bush! Freaky, huh? Maybe I need medication...)

[ 06-07-2002 04:26 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by TheKnot ]

--------------------

Take President 'Dubya' Bush and cut him in two. On the left side, there will be nothing right and on the right side, there will be nothing left.

Posts: 204 | From: Maryland | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 68.50.185.134
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 06-07-2002 11:56 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Big Evil Three, I know the government breaks laws, but when something is this obvious, and the law is unnecessarily broken, someone has to say something. He easily could have gotten approval to pull out of the treaty, but his administration didn't do it the legal way.

Entaris, your idea wouldn't work. People are different and they tend to stick with people who are like them, afterall, we're al humans, we already that in common. It's nationalism that separates most of us.

Knot, write your congressperson and senators, the more the hear us bitch about it, the more likely they are to do something about it.

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 172.136.82.247

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05