my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Our Galaxy.......   » General Discussion   » German School Shooting

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: German School Shooting
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 04-26-2002 03:22 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
See, we aren't the only nation with kids who get fucked with enough to kill:

18 Killed in German School Shooting

By JOCHEN WIESIGEL
.c The Associated Press

ERFURT, Germany (April 26) - An expelled student dressed in black and carrying two guns opened fire in his former school Friday, killing 17 people before fatally shooting himself as commandos closed in, police and witnesses said. It was one of the deadliest school shootings.

During the rampage, a handwritten sign reading ''HILFE'' - ''Help'' - was pasted to a fourth-floor window, and behind it a girl could be seen in the room. Police who later searched the Johann Gutenberg Gymnasium - which had students from grades five through 12 - said they found bodies strewn in hallways, and even bathrooms.

''We found a horrible scene,'' police spokesman Manfred Etzel told N-TV television. Officials said the 19-year-old gunman killed two girls, 13 teachers, a school secretary and a policeman - one of the first to charge into the building after a janitor reported the shooting around 11 a.m.

The death toll matched that of the 1996 shooting at an elementary school in Dunblane, Scotland, where 16 children, a teacher and the gunman died. Fifteen people, included two teen-age gunmen, died in the April 1999 shooting at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colo.

In Friday's rampage, the gunman opened fire with a handgun and pump-action gun, police said. Several weeks ago, the unidentified teen had been kicked out of the school in Erfurt, a city in the former communist eastern Germany.

''I heard shooting and thought it was a joke,'' said 13-year-old Melanie Steinbrueck, choking back tears. ''But then I saw a teacher dead in the hallway in front of Room 209 and a gunman in black carrying a weapon.''

Students flooded out of the school, which has a total of about 700 students and 53 teachers. But some 180 students were trapped inside. After the first burst of fire, shooting continued intermittently for about a half hour, until police commandos entered the building.

The gunman retreated to a classroom, where he shot himself as police closed in, Etzel said.

The remaining students were evacuated and, after searching the building, police discounted initial reports of a second gunman.

Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder led German politicians in expressing shock at the bloodshed. ''We are stunned in the face of this horrible crime,'' Schroeder told reporters. ''All explanations we could give right now don't go far enough.''

It was the second school shooting this year: In February, a 22-year-old German who recently lost his job killed two former bosses and his old high school's principal in a rampage outside Munich.

Interior Minister Otto Schily said it appeared the gunman was motivated by anger over his expulsion. It was unclear where the gunman got his weapons. Like most European countries, Germany has tight gun control laws. But there are millions of legal weapons in Germans' homes, registered for use in sport and hunting.

''Whether something like this could have been prevented is an open question,'' Schily said.

Erfurt, a city of 220,000 about 150 miles southwest of Berlin, has been economically struggling, though is better off than other cities in what used to be East Germany and is not known for crime. Erfurt, with a medieval castle in its old city, was for a time home to Protestant reformer Martin Luther in the early 16th century.

The 11-year-old Johann Gutenberg school - named after the inventor of the printing press and housed in a 1908 building - has a high academic reputation.

Shocked students described the gunman barging into a classroom.

''The guy was dressed all in black - gloves, cap, everything was black,'' said Juliane Blank, 13. ''He must have opened the door without being heard and forced his way into the classroom.''

''We ran out into the hallways. We just wanted to get out,'' she said.

Sixth-grader Martin Streng said he was in math class when he heard gunfire coming from a classroom down the hall. As he and other students filed into the hallway to flee the building, they saw a man with a gun down the corridor behind them, Streng said.

Outside the school, a police officer with a megaphone urged parents to register their children's names before leaving the scene. Groups of dazed and shocked students huddled in the street, hugging and crying. Ambulances and police cars massed in front of the school.

Schily, the interior minister, and other officials expressed concern that Germany may not have taken an increasingly aggressive climate in its schools seriously enough.

Teachers ''must confront the challenge of violence'' in society, said Ludwig Eckinger, head of a national association of teachers.

In what may be the deadliest mass killing at a school, a farmer angry about his tax bill set off dynamite at a school in Bath, Mich., on May 18, 1927, killing 43 people and then himself.

Copyright 2002 The Associated Press.

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 172.137.205.28
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 04-26-2002 04:46 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I tell ya, teachers don't get paid enough. I swear they need hazard pay...

...but this is ridiculous. Don't get me started, but... I used to think TIGHT gun control was the answer. Now I am leaning toward arming everyone and having mandatory classes on gun usage and target practice, sheesh. At least then everyone would be able to defend themselves when something like this happened, and perhaps less people would get killed in the long run.

*Thinks of the old west, heh, since it would seem the global community is heading back to their earlier roots.*

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 64.12.106.41
Padme of Hidden Lake

Really Nice Member

Member # 107

posted 04-29-2002 08:28 AM     Profile for Padme of Hidden Lake   Author's Homepage   Email Padme of Hidden Lake     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah - it all goes back again to ignoring the problems till they explode - peopel need to deal with the violence that can run rampant in schools BEFORE people die - that seems to be a taboo issue over here though we are talking more about it at home at least in education classes...

--------------------

A friend once told me "The Turtle Moves" I think we should all remember that right now...
Don't dance to live, live to dance!

Posts: 319 | From: Wandering the planet | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 193.52.64.54
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 04-29-2002 02:05 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Talk all you want about the problems and issues... for some reason the world just doesn't operate on solutions. I mean, our government appears to be trying to solve issues without stepping on a bajillion toes, no small task there. But half the problem goes beyond governmental auspices: it's the attitudes people the world over seem to be developing toward themselves and each other.

The way I see it, we're destined to never be the true global community I would love to see happen... witness the rise of society's dark side (all self-oriented, all escapism oriented)... it's like the main problem is not only too big to tackle, it's entirely too big to see clearly.
Everyone has a "solution..." but no one's would work without offending SOMEBODY SOMEWHERE.

I say: keep up the space program and get me the heck off this sorry planet. It's gotta be better somewhere else out there!

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 64.12.101.152
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 04-29-2002 02:11 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
And really, after more consideration... I think the true problem is simply human nature and the fact that there are just too many of us crowded on this world. It's like rats: put rats in a closed environment, and all is hunky-dory until the population gets too big for that environment. Then they get weird, exhibiting abnormal "breeding" behaviors, fighting with each other, killing each other, and eating each other. And this was straight from "Standard Social Psychology 101," folks....

Guess we really do need an alien invasion or a major world war to shake the chaff from the wheat and get things going again, maybe this time on the right foot. (But if the latter, it had better be a doozy, and hit up every landmass both major and minor. Even sacrosanct Antarctica, or that will be the last stronghold everyone would be squabbling over in the end....)

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 64.12.101.156
Padme of Hidden Lake

Really Nice Member

Member # 107

posted 04-30-2002 11:30 AM     Profile for Padme of Hidden Lake   Author's Homepage   Email Padme of Hidden Lake     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well with the way policies and politics are going over here and our war on terrorism and the Isreal/Palestine thing combined it could be read that we are on our way to WWIII - and there are people beginning to predict that we will see it in our life times - at least over here they are...

But yes society is majorly degrading as people start to depend less on each other and more on themselves and technology to survive we are seeing degradation of even the most basic social untis - Families and startlingly high rates now - I wouldn't be at all surprised if it does boil down to major war, but the lord help us all if it does.

--------------------

A friend once told me "The Turtle Moves" I think we should all remember that right now...

Posts: 319 | From: Wandering the planet | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 193.52.64.54
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 04-30-2002 01:12 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Like I said... get me off this sorry planet...!

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.195.192
Steindogg

Member # 87

posted 04-30-2002 08:39 PM     Profile for Steindogg   Author's Homepage   Email Steindogg     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
tickets are being sold to go into space....

[ 04-30-2002 08:40 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Steindogg ]

Posts: 46 | From: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  Logged: 64.216.217.112
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 05-01-2002 12:23 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah... anyone have about $20 million I can borrow??? Hehe....

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.198.38
Padme of Hidden Lake

Really Nice Member

Member # 107

posted 05-02-2002 09:18 AM     Profile for Padme of Hidden Lake   Author's Homepage   Email Padme of Hidden Lake     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
GS - finish your book and sell it - I'm sure it will make at least 20 mill. That's my plan anyway...

--------------------

Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 05-02-2002 03:07 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
20 million to the author for a book? Plan on writing the Great American Novel?

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 172.134.65.232
Padme of Hidden Lake

Really Nice Member

Member # 107

posted 05-03-2002 09:49 AM     Profile for Padme of Hidden Lake   Author's Homepage   Email Padme of Hidden Lake     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well if you take the money you actually make then carefully invest in high returns CD's and Bonds - a few years after publication it could very well be 20 mill - you just need the patience to do that - resist the temptation to spend it all at once... Of course if my now FINISHED!!!! Book were to become the Great American Novel I wouldn't complain one bit...

--------------------

Lord_Andromeda

Member # 184

posted 05-12-2002 11:04 AM     Profile for Lord_Andromeda   Author's Homepage   Email Lord_Andromeda     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
to get back on the subject of the topic - i also think that life is getting worse.
Posts: 68 | From: Matleth | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 213.48.235.75

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05