my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Our Galaxy.......   » General Discussion   » YIKES!!!!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: YIKES!!!!
Padme of Hidden Lake

Really Nice Member

Member # 107

posted 04-26-2002 08:46 AM     Profile for Padme of Hidden Lake   Author's Homepage   Email Padme of Hidden Lake     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OK the situation over here is quite scary - I'm sure you have seen on the news what happened with the first tour of the election over here... Well it's getting worse I'm starting to hear and See calls for Revolution - just downright kick the gov out Revolution - NOT COOL!!! So if everyone could just pray beg whatever whatever diety or nondiety you believe in that first off Chirac wins the election - that MIGHT quiet things down a bit and if these Revolutionaries STILL want to go through with it that they wait just 5 weeks so I can get the heck out of here first - esp since my last Week will be in Paris where all the Revolutions seem to like to start - this could be bigger than the 68 student's uprising at the Sorbonne if things don't cool off quite a bit SOON!!!

--------------------

A friend once told me "The Turtle Moves" I think we should all remember that right now...
Don't dance to live, live to dance!

Posts: 319 | From: Wandering the planet | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 193.52.64.54
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 04-26-2002 10:07 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ICK. Run... don't walk... to the nearest US Embassy and make arrangements to come home NOW. Class be damned; you got what you need out of it. What's a grade anyway? In the grand scheme of things, nothing. Trust me. (Speaking from the other side of the coin in that matter.)

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.199.156
Padme of Hidden Lake

Really Nice Member

Member # 107

posted 04-26-2002 10:49 AM     Profile for Padme of Hidden Lake   Author's Homepage   Email Padme of Hidden Lake     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Unfortunately I can't - our Embassies are already blocked off can't get near them (there is one in the town I'm in) the school they "run" is the only thing open right now and the trains are not where I want to be before this election... Quite scary!!! School seems to be the only safe place at the moment...

--------------------

A friend once told me "The Turtle Moves" I think we should all remember that right now...

Posts: 319 | From: Wandering the planet | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 193.52.64.54
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 04-26-2002 02:55 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
WHAT!?! You're in a town with a US embassy, and they won't let you go??? INTOLERABLE. PICK UP THE PHONE AND CALL THE EMBASSY. They can't stop you from doing that, can they?

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.206.181
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 04-26-2002 03:17 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Are they closed because of terrorism, or because of the discontent with that the French people seem to be having with the government?

I really do think the french have a fetish for revolution, what will this be? The 5th? 6th? in the past 215 years. Jeepers.

You're there, I'm not, but I can say coverage here is pretty minimal. I heard about crazy riots about the election, and the guy who wants to beat Chirac got ketchup in the face, but that's all. So, why is everyone over there upset?

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 172.137.205.28
Padme of Hidden Lake

Really Nice Member

Member # 107

posted 04-29-2002 08:41 AM     Profile for Padme of Hidden Lake   Author's Homepage   Email Padme of Hidden Lake     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
GS - The Embassies have ALL been closed in Europe since someone tried to bomb the one in Italy last month - the ambassadors have gone home - there is NO ONE there to talk to - Americans over here are pretty much trapped right now without a place to go should things turn ugly... I think the capitals still have one or two people at the Embassies but they are guarded with Tanks and such - when I was in Holland I stopped in the Haag for a bit and sure enough there was a nice big tank in front of the American Embassy there - it's just impossible to get in to them now.
Ani - Yes the French definitely have a fetish for Revolution - and new governments - they have had 3 different styles of Monarchy, 5 Republics, 2 Empires, and 1 dictatorship - and they want to go into thier 6th Republic now... definitely a fetish there cause that makes 12 total revolutions to date - counting the ones that didn't work...

And what everyone is so upset about - and the goal of all these riots is that Le pEn made it to the second tour of the election - it is all anti-Le Pen rioting here - they are upset because he is a Fascist Nazi who wants to get rid of all foreigners and non-catholics basically - he thinks the Holocaust was a failure because it didn't succeed in wiping out the Jewish population and that because of this it is just a trifle of history instead of the great triumph it should have been - ie he's Hitler reincarnated with a bit of Mussilini thrown in to make things interesting - he wants to completely shut the borders - not letting the French out or others in - like say Communist Russia, drop out of the EU and the Euro and the Global economy - that is enough to be upset about i think - I certainly would be if we had a candidate like that for our Pres.

--------------------

Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 04-29-2002 01:56 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
How the H-E-double-toothpicks is a guy like that managing to migrate UPWARD in the electorial process... AND WHY ON EARTH IS THIS NOT HITTING THE NEWS HERE? Sheesh, if everyone is so worried, the best way to get any action is to let the American media get their hands on this, lordy knows....

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 64.12.101.164
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 04-29-2002 03:14 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Jesus Pete. Why has this guy not been assassinated yet?

And why doesn't my news tell me anything. I did hear that he didn't want foreigners in france and stuff like that the other day, but that's all. There's is either a scandal going on where the votes are frauds, or the French people are plain idiots.

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 172.143.18.67
Padme of Hidden Lake

Really Nice Member

Member # 107

posted 04-30-2002 11:23 AM     Profile for Padme of Hidden Lake   Author's Homepage   Email Padme of Hidden Lake     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah - it is impressing the way he does it - scary but impressing - he's being compared to Hitler also in the way that he speaks so that he CONVINCES people that this is the only way - blame the problems on someone else - then get rid of those people - it's the same mentality... I don't know why it isn't making the news over there - probably cause people that aren't hearing his arguements personally don't find them persuasive - when you step back and read what he thinks it's crazy - but he has a convincing voice and way of saying things that gets through to people - he doesn't use the elitiste language that the other candidates do - so they UNDERSTAND what he is saying better and thereby believe him more... that said a majority of those that voted for him - particularly the left wingers - were protest votes against Chirac and Jospin - more Jospin than Chirac admittedly cause the Chirac protestors tended to vote Communist - or other extreme left parties - but there is a LOT of malcontentment with the policies of and mal-application of them by the last government which was truly under Jospin - Chirac was a figurehead like Queen Elizabeth since the cohabitation started... Soo hopefully his vote count will go way down with the protestors voting for Chirac now that they have shown thier malcontent with Jospin but again - Le Pen DOES have a very convincing WAY of speaking that the others jsut don't manage.

But Yes GS I definitely think the American media needs to pay a bit more attention to the fact that this now makes the 5th European nation to vote this way in recent elections - in Denmark it's worse - htey HAVE and extreme right gov in place which has ABOLISHED ALL ANTIRACISM LAWS - Austria has voted more extreme right than ever before and Belgium and Italy are on the brink of going that way too - it could be a MAJOR world crisis should the EU go Extreme Right Wing - just imagine the break down in International policies should that section of the world block up against everyone else!!!

Ani - as for the assassination - there WAS an attepmt it failed but weapons laws are MUCH stricter over here - practically NO ONE has the right to a weapon - so it makes that kinda difficult to pull off...

--------------------

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05