my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Our Galaxy.......   » General Discussion   » Equal Rights for Terrorists?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: Equal Rights for Terrorists?
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 02-22-2002 09:42 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's a really tough questions, should terrorists get the same rights as Americans give themselves?

A good argument saying they should is this: We Americans live by the principles in the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. Since we do live by those principles, or at least I feel we should in order to call ourselves Americans, it would be right to grant those rights to every human being. Right? If we live by these principles, we treat everyone the same, no matter who they are.

I don't even know if I agree with that when talking about terrorists. I want to, but I think our system is too loose. I mean, what if they get out free on a technicality? They're free to kill us all. We're in a pickel. Treat everyone the same according to our beliefs, or risk gettin' killed. I think I'd say screw and kill them when it comes down to it...

What about you?

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 172.146.100.80
Dash

Wise Ass

Member # 83

posted 02-22-2002 10:29 PM     Profile for Dash   Author's Homepage   Email Dash     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
well I think we should treat the same way we treat forgeiners who come and pop a cap in one of our cilvilians

now for osamal, I think we should sick in a large fleid then set up those dog zapper things then put a dog zapper collor on him and he trys to escape he gets zapped and if he doesn't move for awhile we zap him

I think it would be just great to sit back with a cup of coffee and a cigarette zapping omasa once and awhile

--------------------

If I cared I'd be smiling right now :{

Posts: 288 | From: Hell | Registered: Nov 2000  |  Logged: 172.156.226.230
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 02-22-2002 11:31 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
LOL, that'd be great. You could keep him there for years and make people pay admission to come watch

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 172.146.100.80
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 02-23-2002 10:18 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Actually, I think the point is a moot one, especially regarding the Head Rat Hisself and his Big Boys. I don't think they will live to come to trial: either we will kill them first, or they'll do the chicken thing and off themselves.

Regarding their underling terrorists: it's a war. Try them as war criminals. I don't think there will be many technicalities they can wiggle out on... and if they do, someone will "get them," heh. I firmly believe that.

But in the long and short of it, unless we want to lower ourselves to their level, we must afford them the same rights (attorney--who would touch the case?) as we would our own citizens. In the long run its thinking like that, and adhering to that way of thinking, that will straighten out this sorry world we're all slogging through.

[ 02-23-2002 10:20 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.192.164
Padme of Hidden Lake

Really Nice Member

Member # 107

posted 02-25-2002 08:25 AM     Profile for Padme of Hidden Lake   Author's Homepage   Email Padme of Hidden Lake     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ah I think it's time to bring back some good old-fashioned Medieval torture devises and make them pay - really pay for what they did to us - they aren't human - htey are savage animals who need to be put down quickly and harshly for thier disregard for human life - you act like an animal you deserve to be treated like one... But this is only one angry New Yorkers opinion on them... BTW until someone has thier Green Card our Gov doesn't normally give them the same rights as citizens or resident aliens - they do something even minor wrong and they face deportation - terrorists should be no different save that we deport them off planet Earth for the good of the rest of Humankind...

--------------------

A friend once told me "The Turtle Moves" I think we should all remember that right now...
Don't dance to live, live to dance!

Posts: 319 | From: Wandering the planet | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 193.52.64.54
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 02-25-2002 03:00 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am always amazed by the attitudes we so-called “democratic” human beings afford others. We climb up on our bandwagons, we espouse equality and rights to all and fair judgment upon the tried, and that one is innocent until proven guilty. We decry inhumane actions by Man against Man; we vow and declare to rise above this all aimed to the betterment of humanity on a global scale. By the very tenets upon which our society is based, we entreat that Man turn the other cheek when affronted. We point our collective fingers to the horrors of the Holocaust as an example of how terrible Man can act, and how such actions, in all their horribly magnificent diversity, must cease. Man must rise above himself. Man must take that step forward; this while not written in so many words is clearly evident between the lines in the very mores upon which our society is based, and which we claim to hold dear.

Until something happens to us.

Ahhh… then does the lion unsheathe its claws, and the dragon loose its flame. And all I can ask is, when will this hypocrisy come to an end?

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 207.165.114.21
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 02-25-2002 04:13 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You're right GS, we gotta say we'll treat everyone the same, no matter who they are or what their motives were. We can't pride ourselves with our principles if it only counts with other Americans. It's not an American thing, it's all of humanity that has the rights we choose to give ourselves.

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 172.149.250.137
Mara1Jade

Expanded Universe Goddess and Corran Obsessor

Member # 68

posted 02-25-2002 10:12 PM     Profile for Mara1Jade   Author's Homepage   Email Mara1Jade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ummmm...if we treat them in said torturous manner, that means we've stepped to their level. Now, I'm all for justice being done concerning these people. I can't even argue that I don't think they should receive the death penalty for what they've done. But do they deserve rights? Yes. Why? Because our nation, which is based upon the morals of liberty and democracy and justice, not only protects those freedoms for its own. Why on earth do you think we are FIGHTING these terrorists? Because people OF ALL NATIONS deserve freedom from such tyranny. So wouldn't we be contradicting the very morals which we base our country upon if we just "wipe them from the planet"? We argue rights and liberty, and in the same breath proclaim that these terrorists don't deserve those same rights?

Liberty and Justice for ALL.

LIBERTY AND JUSTICE FOR ALL.

If we're gonna claim it, we've gotta do it. If we DON'T do it, then who will believe us or follow us in our fight?

Hypocrisy will not suit us, it will only destroy us.

--------------------

Small minds think in small terms!
~~CMH, creator and writer of Shayla Petrolu, Erik Kartan, Shawn Petrolu, Terrin Danner, Jasyn Lancaster, Matt Stanza, Aaron Barnes, And Taylor Garrison~~

Posts: 972 | From: Jacksonville, FL, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  Logged: 146.201.36.72
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 02-25-2002 10:19 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
amen.

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 172.130.2.96
Dash

Wise Ass

Member # 83

posted 02-25-2002 10:59 PM     Profile for Dash   Author's Homepage   Email Dash     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm very surprised gun nuts and red necks with guns, who call them slefs defenders of our nation aren't going to afgan. and doing some ass kicking of their own

come on you red neck gun toting hillbillies get off you ass (no offence to Anakin, who lives in the sticks)

--------------------

If I cared I'd be smiling right now :{

Posts: 288 | From: Hell | Registered: Nov 2000  |  Logged: 172.131.164.225
Padme of Hidden Lake

Really Nice Member

Member # 107

posted 02-26-2002 10:43 AM     Profile for Padme of Hidden Lake   Author's Homepage   Email Padme of Hidden Lake     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Don't worry Dash - I live in the sticks - a lot of my friends have gone off - the army just isn't letting em do what needs to be done.....

--------------------

A friend once told me "The Turtle Moves" I think we should all remember that right now...
Don't dance to live, live to dance!

Posts: 319 | From: Wandering the planet | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 193.52.64.54
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 02-26-2002 01:35 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
C’mon now guys, you KNOW the Eastern cultures had the right idea:

Never mount an attack in anger. For then the battle is prevented from being what it should be seen as: a warning against future attempts and NOT purely vengeance for misdeeds done to a country. Read up on ancient Chinese battle ethics. They had it right… and civility and order was kept.

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 207.165.114.21
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 02-26-2002 03:20 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dash, go away. If the sticks are the same as the city, then yea, I live in the sticks.

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 172.155.173.232
Mara1Jade

Expanded Universe Goddess and Corran Obsessor

Member # 68

posted 02-26-2002 05:20 PM     Profile for Mara1Jade   Author's Homepage   Email Mara1Jade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Generally the sticks mean you live out in the boonies.

And I honestly don't know what that has to do with this.

And as for the guys that are out there fighting, no one is arguing that they shouldn't be. But like Graysith pointed out, it's a fight not of pure anger. It's a warning and it's a justice thing. If everyone just reacting purely out of anger every time something happened to them, we'd all be dead.

--------------------

Small minds think in small terms!
~~CMH, creator and writer of Shayla Petrolu, Erik Kartan, Shawn Petrolu, Terrin Danner, Jasyn Lancaster, Matt Stanza, Aaron Barnes, And Taylor Garrison~~

Posts: 972 | From: Jacksonville, FL, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  Logged: 146.201.34.115
Steindogg

Member # 87

posted 02-27-2002 06:55 PM     Profile for Steindogg   Author's Homepage   Email Steindogg     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Ani, I guess I live in the sticks too
Posts: 46 | From: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  Logged: 63.208.41.29

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05