my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Our Galaxy.......   » General Discussion   » THEY FINALLY DID IT!!!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: THEY FINALLY DID IT!!!
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 11-25-2001 11:51 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wahoo! They finally did it! Advanced Cell Technologies, an independent lab in Massachusetts, has finally cloned a viable human embryo. A far cry from the clones we so blithely toss around here--(sorry, Wicked)-- it is basically just a grouping of cells, destined to be used for human therapy via stem cell manipulations. Kudos to them, I say.

I also ask: who did they use as the "original?" Probably the janitor.... Hehehe. I'm going to write the lab and inquire about this.

But can you imagine the implications? Between this and the newly developed computers made of/on a DNA strand (hello nanites; biocybernetics here we come!) I suddenly see the average human lifespan simply leaping....

[ 11-25-2001 11:54 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.194.189
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 11-25-2001 03:52 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Maybe I will be able to fulfill my dream of living to be 120. That means I will have lived in 3 different centuries. Wow.

I just hope they don't go cloning people and making real people, at least not clone me. If they clone me, I'd have to kill myself....my other self.

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 172.161.114.75
Rogue Angel

Jedi Knight

Member # 33

posted 11-25-2001 07:01 PM     Profile for Rogue Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Rogue Angel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't know...I find this whole thing incredibly disturbing. Being the conservative person that I am (some might go as far as to call me 'fundamentalist') there is just something not quite right to me about cloning off a human being, whether it be the janitor or Hitler himself.

And the idea of the human lifespan increasing? More time for people to go around hurting each other. Hey, but I'm a pessimist. I just don't think people were intended to live to 120.

--------------------

"Is that a lightsaber in your pocket or are ya just happy to see me?"

Posts: 357 | From: Mississippi, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 172.162.23.215
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 11-25-2001 07:14 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
One hundred years ago you might say people weren't inteded to live 60 years. What's different now?

I'm not for human cloning. I don't want duplicate people, there's no need for it. I am for cloning embryos (what they did) for medical research. It helps cure things like aids and diabetes, would you rather these people suffer? We want healthy people, whether they live 80 years, or 120, whats it matter?

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 172.143.251.185
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 11-25-2001 08:28 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey, I'm not talking a measly 120 years. Scientists already say... and have for some time... that there is no NEED for the body to age. The study of what causes lifeforms to age has been going on for a few decades now; I think that we're going to be eventually seeing people living waaaaay longer than 120. I don't know if we'd ever be immortal, per se; but barring accidents, I bet we'd be able to live a couple hundred years, maybe more.

Maybe long enough to finally LEARN that hurting each other is stupid, ey?

But this is still a looooong way down the road.

Wow. Look where imagination leads us... simply in response to the development of a bunch of cells in a Petrie dish!

Me... I don't see cloning people as being bad. There is more at play than genetics in determining how one turns out as one develops. I just don't see any real USE for doing it (other than for medical purposes). The "normal" method is better for the gene pool, and far more fun, hehehe. (sorry, I couldn't resist....)

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.207.201
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 11-25-2001 10:26 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I dunno if I'd wanna live a couple hundred years, unless I was the only one . The problem with that would be major overpopulation, and would probably lead to us killing ourselves off a lot faster. But I'd still like to live to be 120, maybe older, if I was in good health...

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 172.131.143.81
Mara1Jade

Expanded Universe Goddess and Corran Obsessor

Member # 68

posted 12-03-2001 04:47 PM     Profile for Mara1Jade   Author's Homepage   Email Mara1Jade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I still find cloning a highly disturbing idea. Yeah, yeah, I understand the medical implications. But something about it just really bothers me. Probably because clone or not a clone is still a living individual.

--------------------

Small minds think in small terms!
~~CMH, creator and writer of Shayla Petrolu, Erik Kartan, Shawn Petrolu, Terrin Danner, Jasyn Lancaster, Matt Stanza, Aaron Barnes, And Taylor Garrison~~

Posts: 980 | From: Jacksonville, FL, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  Logged: 139.62.161.169
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 12-03-2001 09:26 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Are you against abortion and the death penalty?

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 172.172.219.212
Shayla Stargazer Petrolu

Adept

Member # 123

posted 12-03-2001 09:53 PM     Profile for Shayla Stargazer Petrolu   Author's Homepage   Email Shayla Stargazer Petrolu     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Abortion yes. Death penalty, no. I know what you are going to say about that too. But my theory is that abortion deals with life yet undetermined. Death Penalty deals with life already determined. Leave it at that.

--------------------

"Small minds think in small terms!"
~~CMH~~
(I am NOT turning to the Darkside...)

Posts: 1711 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: Jun 2001  |  Logged: 66.20.159.74
Padme of Hidden Lake

Really Nice Member

Member # 107

posted 12-05-2001 11:04 AM     Profile for Padme of Hidden Lake   Author's Homepage   Email Padme of Hidden Lake     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree with you completely Mara/Shayla... If someone is on Death Row - it's their fault - they knew the law and made thier chioce - a Baby has no choice...

--------------------

A friend once told me "The Turtle Moves" I think we should all remember that right now...
Don't dance to live, live to dance!

Posts: 319 | From: Wandering the planet | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 193.52.64.54
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 12-05-2001 03:51 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Are you aware that innocent people have been executed? Granted DNA tests can stop the majority of that nowadays, but in my mind, if one innocent person has or will be executed, it's not worth it.

If it doesn't mean as much to you, put yourslef in the shoes of an innocent person being led to be executed.

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 172.128.210.3
Padme of Hidden Lake

Really Nice Member

Member # 107

posted 12-06-2001 10:59 AM     Profile for Padme of Hidden Lake   Author's Homepage   Email Padme of Hidden Lake     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
true it can happen - but I'd rather that than let all the guilty ones live.

--------------------

A friend once told me "The Turtle Moves" I think we should all remember that right now...

Posts: 319 | From: Wandering the planet | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 193.52.64.54
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 12-06-2001 03:39 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh give me a break. So, if I was threatening to take away the death penalty for the rest of time, unless I got to kill you, you'd let me kill you?

The death penalty doesn't serve a purpose other than getting ultimate revenge. You can get that revenge by throwing them into a supermax prison and restricting their contact with the outside world. What difference does it make whether that happens, or if they die (risking the life of an innocent person)?

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 172.131.209.93
Rogue Angel

Jedi Knight

Member # 33

posted 12-06-2001 04:20 PM     Profile for Rogue Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Rogue Angel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't believe in either the death penalty or abortion, and more to the point, the more I think about it, the more cloning scares me. At this point, a clone may be just a mass of cells in a dish, but it's just going to get bigger and bigger. To me, there is no moral difference between growing an embryonic clone to harvest cells and growing a complete human to harvest its organs. That bunch of cells sure doesn't look like a human, but the truth remains that it has the full genetic makeup of a human, and (in theory) the potential to become a full-grown human being.

--------------------

"Is that a lightsaber in your pocket or are ya just happy to see me?"

Posts: 357 | From: Mississippi, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 216.229.193.104
Padme of Hidden Lake

Really Nice Member

Member # 107

posted 12-07-2001 09:26 AM     Profile for Padme of Hidden Lake   Author's Homepage   Email Padme of Hidden Lake     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes I would let you kill me - keeping someone alive in Jail uses far to much of our tax dollars when they don't deserve it - let that money go to helping thier victim's family - or for some other aid to the people of the nation and just get rid of them.

Rogue - I completely agree - it's quite frightening to think about

--------------------

Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 12-07-2001 05:26 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
How about we just focus on rehabilitation instead of incarceration...it could work in most cases...

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 172.138.153.164
MASTER_THON

Broken Back Button

Member # 191

posted 05-17-2002 03:03 AM     Profile for MASTER_THON   Author's Homepage   Email MASTER_THON     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
At the risk of making myself sound bad, I was once locked up myself for about 4 years. In those 4 years, Ive done alot of work on the person that I was to become the person that I am. I am a firm believer that rehabilitation starts and ends with the individual, after all, you can't, and won't change unless you really want to. I know that I have changed, and the people who love me know that I have changed. People can change, first they have to want to, and second, we have to let them.

--------------------

RULE IN FEAR OF THE FORCE, AS WELL AS IN THE FORCE ITSELF

Posts: 10 | From: HOUMA,LA. | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 209.62.213.244
rocket99

unregistered

posted 07-27-2002 06:32 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If we do get to the place where we will be able to live a couple hundred years, I see us moving off the planet and starting bases on the Moon and Mars.

Think of all the scientists that never finish their life's work. Now they will be able to.. I think Science would also grow by leaps and bounds in proportion to the life-span of people. Interplanetary travel would be as common as going to Europe.

Good times, can't wait. !!!!

Logged: 63.108.129.219
Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 08-10-2002 08:57 PM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
im probably a litlte late on this for anyone to care...but...

Ok, living more than our natural lifespans is defenetly a very bad thing, unless, we do also have the technology to live on other planets, i mean, we have to many people in this world as it is, living longer would destroy the planet, and to add on, in the current way the world is going, i really dont want to stick around another couple hundred years... I think cloning though, is sort of a good idea, depending on the use. Making clones like in multiplicity, and the way we offten perceve cloning, is bad, but, we could with cloning pull an episode 2 stunt, and that would be very good, if they are trained from birth, for the soul purpose of fighting(and i know this sounds horrible) then they really are ment to be soldiers, and thats great, because then the other's in the world wont have to die needlessly, And yes, im against violence in general, but just think of how this could make our econemy go? we wouldnt have to pay the soldiers, wouldnt have to do anything except feed and train them... and if this is a horrible idea, think of it this way, chickens, some live to lay eggs and make more chickens, some live to lay eggs for breakfast, and some live to die, and be eaten...thats there purpose, its what they are for, we can not go against that, cows the same way, why not spare a few innocent lives by making soldiers that way?
as for death sentance, and abbortion and all that, they are both horrid... the death sentance is EXACTLY the same as abbortion, i know most dont realize it, but most of the criminals that are executed, never had a chance, there in the same boat as the baby's that are being killed before birth, yes, they had a life, but look at it, there parants probably beat them, they were told from the begining that they are no good, that they will only be trouble, in fact, most of those kids are the kids that were going to be killed before birth, because the father, or mother didnt want them, but the other parant, or a grandmother or soemthign was against it, so, either way they meet there end to the same cause...

--------------------

"Insert Snappy quote here"

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.227.22.53

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05