my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Star Wars Discussion   » Characters   » Darth Vader (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Printable Version
Author Topic: Darth Vader
LumbiaSith

Padawan

Member # 250

posted 07-04-2003 05:36 AM     Profile for LumbiaSith   Author's Homepage   Email LumbiaSith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Did you guys know Darth Vader's name means in Dutch: Dark Father.

--------------------

"I am here to redeem myself. See, The Fate of the universe lies in my hands! I will take up the challenge!"

-Lumbia Whitfield

Posts: 1143 | From: In space... | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 12.213.76.134
Xam Ngboohan

Force Sensitive Mercenary

Member # 463

posted 07-04-2003 06:58 AM     Profile for Xam Ngboohan   Author's Homepage   Email Xam Ngboohan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You mean "Darth" means "dark" and "Vader" means "Father"? Hmm.......coincidence? I don't think so.

--------------------

There is a shadowy voice in my heart, telling me to embrace the darkness.....

Posts: 316 | From: Singapore | Registered: May 2003  |  Logged: 134.144.240.3
LumbiaSith

Padawan

Member # 250

posted 07-04-2003 02:30 PM     Profile for LumbiaSith   Author's Homepage   Email LumbiaSith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I wonder what Darth Maul means then?

--------------------

"I am here to redeem myself. See, The Fate of the universe lies in my hands! I will take up the challenge!"

-Lumbia Whitfield

Posts: 1143 | From: In space... | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 12.213.76.134
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 07-06-2003 08:18 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dark Render, what else? And "vader" is also German; I'm not certain as to the darth part. "Svart" is dark or black in German, I think.

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.252.135
O-B-1 Kenobi

Member # 467

posted 07-07-2003 03:35 AM     Profile for O-B-1 Kenobi   Author's Homepage   Email O-B-1 Kenobi     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"Render"? As in "rend him limb from limb"? That kind of "Rend"?

And what is Vader in German?

Posts: 66 | From: unknnown | Registered: May 2003  |  Logged: 134.144.240.3
LumbiaSith

Padawan

Member # 250

posted 09-01-2003 12:38 AM     Profile for LumbiaSith   Author's Homepage   Email LumbiaSith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What else does it mean, other than what you guys pointed out?

--------------------

-Lumbia Whitfield

Orlok

Member # 499

posted 09-07-2003 04:52 PM     Profile for Orlok   Author's Homepage   Email Orlok     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Does that mean the Dutch kind of had a better inklin about the Luke/Vader relationship before Empire got released? Surely the news would have spread like wild fire even if it was pre 1980?

--------------------

"Time waits for no man."

Posts: 34 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2003  |  Logged: 82.35.24.169
LumbiaSith

Padawan

Member # 250

posted 09-07-2003 09:12 PM     Profile for LumbiaSith   Author's Homepage   Email LumbiaSith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It is possible that they just don't use Darth and Vader in the same sentence normally, but I'm not sure about it spreading around or anything, even though it is possible.

--------------------

-Lumbia Whitfield

Freedon Naad

Sith Sorcerer Extrodinaire

Member # 321

posted 09-08-2003 04:39 PM     Profile for Freedon Naad   Author's Homepage   Email Freedon Naad     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Vader sounds similar to the english pernounciation of the German word for father but it is not, father in germen is actually Vater. Anyway, as I said very close.

--------------------

I am NOT a stone!

Posts: 119 | From: NYC | Registered: Aug 2002  |  Logged: 66.108.121.107
LumbiaSith

Padawan

Member # 250

posted 09-08-2003 09:53 PM     Profile for LumbiaSith   Author's Homepage   Email LumbiaSith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Aye, I don't know, I got it from Star Wars Forums I think.

--------------------

-Lumbia Whitfield

Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-16-2003 12:37 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Actually guys, all it was was Lucas coming up with a cool name for the big nasty lug. Anakin Skywalker being turned from the light to the dark, and being Luke Skywalker's father and all... with Luke being the next integral person in the history of the galaxy...

And this "history" being the so-called "balancing" of the dark and the light. Which still seems a bit goofy to me, but then oh well.

And I got this straight from the horse's mouth: I asked David Prowse at Gencon last summer, and that is what he told me.

Hehe... ever kiss a Dark Lord of the Sith? No-- I suppose you guys haven't...!

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.252.135
Dash Kelderon

On the Road to Redemption

Member # 427

posted 09-17-2003 04:19 AM     Profile for Dash Kelderon   Author's Homepage   Email Dash Kelderon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I try to avoid kissing Guys at all costs. Even when they have the ability to crush my larnxy with a thought!

--------------------

Those 2 guys may be IDIOTS... but they think the same way I do!

Posts: 655 | From: M.I,A | Registered: Feb 2003  |  Logged: 63.88.67.230
LumbiaSith

Padawan

Member # 250

posted 09-17-2003 08:10 AM     Profile for LumbiaSith   Author's Homepage   Email LumbiaSith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yep I agree with Dash on this one. **Scurries out**

--------------------

-Lumbia Whitfield

Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-17-2003 04:06 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey, after the usual celeb photo with Mr. Prowse, after he had given me his autograph, I was turning to say thank you...

...but when at that point a Dark Lord of the Sith says, "give us a little kiss," who would dare refuse?

*snickers*

Hmmm... you guys could have kissed Aurra Singh instead! She was there, too!

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.208.165
Orlok

Member # 499

posted 09-17-2003 05:05 PM     Profile for Orlok   Author's Homepage   Email Orlok     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Was she almost bald in real life too?

--------------------

"Time waits for no man."

Posts: 34 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2003  |  Logged: 82.35.29.156
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-17-2003 11:43 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No, in real life she was tall, slender, blonde and beautiful. She came over to me while I was speaking with Jeremy Bullock, and excused herself, and said she liked the boots I was wearing and wanted to know where I got them.

I thought that was rather nice, considering. (I was in costume, dressed up as a Renaissance lady rogue.)

But she seemed to be a really nice person.

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 64.12.96.79
Orlok

Member # 499

posted 09-18-2003 02:25 PM     Profile for Orlok   Author's Homepage   Email Orlok     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's good to know she had a fine head of hair and liked your boots.

On another note, I think you Americans should consider yourselves fortunate that you have decent sci-fi cons. Where I am, it's usually populated by bearded Warsies greedy for money and a lack of initiative in the personal hygiene department.

--------------------

"Time waits for no man."

Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-18-2003 03:01 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thank you for your general comments, Orlok. You were the one to ask about her hair, as I recall....

And I find it so highly interesting that we have all these members from the UK.

Of personal interest, that is....

Such a coinky-dink. Please extend the greetings of the Pod, and my personal ones as well, to your peers.

And on a further note... yes. "We Americans" do have some wonderful science fiction conventions.

In case anyone out there attends these and has gone to any world cons, compare this year's Worldcon to last year's Worldcon.

I rest the case already observed above.

[ 09-18-2003 03:07 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

Orlok

Member # 499

posted 09-18-2003 04:14 PM     Profile for Orlok   Author's Homepage   Email Orlok     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think one of the nicest people I met was the original SW producer, Gary Kurtz. He really seemed like a nice person but obviously felt bitter about Rick McCullum taking over his duties.

The worst I met was the original Aunt Beru. She really hated the SW fans and preferred to talk about her stay at a Tunisian Hotel rather than her role or anything insightful. She did like my girlfriend at the time's watch.

By the way, Graysith, what's a coinky dink?

[ 09-18-2003 04:17 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Orlok ]

--------------------

"Time waits for no man."

Dash Kelderon

On the Road to Redemption

Member # 427

posted 09-19-2003 03:32 AM     Profile for Dash Kelderon   Author's Homepage   Email Dash Kelderon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I beleive Graysith is refering to a "coincidence"

At least, that's what "coinky dink" means in my neck of the woods.

--------------------

Those 2 guys may be IDIOTS... but they think the same way I do!

Posts: 655 | From: M.I,A | Registered: Feb 2003  |  Logged: 63.88.67.230
Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 10-25-2003 06:14 PM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmm... if canada's the neck of the woods...does that make california the right ankle? *baffles*

sorry, really really reallly reallllly bored...

I dont know about the whole "vader" meaning father thing, but i do agree with Darth being dark...

Course, if we are going to go that rout...

I supose darth maul does make sense, cause he's got horns so he could maul people...or wait... No... Bulls gore people, sorry...

As starwars and directors... Did you know the GL did the labrynth as well? I just found that out, and im very pleased about it :P

And im not cool like you people, i dont go to con's, cause im a loser geek that has no transportation *cry's*

--------------------

"Insert Snappy quote here"

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 65.237.226.197
star_warrior20

Member # 513

posted 11-11-2003 07:29 PM     Profile for star_warrior20   Author's Homepage   Email star_warrior20     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
awesome, Dutch is a good language, I prefer Deutsch, I wanna learn Deutsch so bad, I have a Deutsch coin, u will bow to the Deutsch coin

--------------------

Sanity does not exist in this world, just like the Force is with young Skywalker, but he is not a Jedi yet.

Posts: 17 | From: Jedi Temple, under the tutelage of Master Qui-Gon Jin | Registered: Nov 2003  |  Logged: 64.158.65.82
nutso_fanchild

Broken Back Button

Member # 514

posted 11-11-2003 07:38 PM     Profile for nutso_fanchild   Author's Homepage   Email nutso_fanchild     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
bows to the Deutsch coin

--------------------

though he is not a Jedi yet, Luke still has the balls to fall down a trash compactor to escape certain death

Posts: 10 | From: Jedi Temple | Registered: Nov 2003  |  Logged: 64.158.65.82
blaksun

Broken Back Button

Member # 516

posted 12-15-2003 01:49 PM     Profile for blaksun   Author's Homepage   Email blaksun     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
George Lucas would most likely have to know Dutch for the Dark Father thing to be true...

Whats Deutsch?

[ 12-15-2003 01:50 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by blaksun ]

--------------------

Come forth! and we shall duel until White is Black and Black is White!

Posts: 7 | From: hell | Registered: Nov 2003  |  Logged: 63.139.82.254
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 12-15-2003 06:54 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Deutsch is German for... er, German.

*Runs off singing a few bars of "Deutschland, Deutschland uber Alles...."*

[ 12-15-2003 06:55 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 64.12.96.43

All times are CT
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05