my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Our Galaxy.......   » Beyond Star Wars   » stephen king is my master now...

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: stephen king is my master now...
Siratne

Member # 822

posted 01-12-2007 04:45 PM     Profile for Siratne   Author's Homepage   Email Siratne     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
well, sense its been hitting me pretty bad the last few day's, i figured i'd spread the addiction...i mean, love...

to all you book worms, if you HAVE NOT already read or checked out "the dark tower" series by Stephen king, then you should...

First book in the series is called "The Gunslinger"

The series stars...The gunslinger(go figure). It is an amazing series, and once you start reading it, i bet you'll be hooked, it is 7 books long, and very amazing. one of the most amazing fantasy stories ever.

The starting line is all it took for the person who told me about the series to get me to check it out, so here it is...first line in the book is this...

"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

Enjoy

--------------------

There is a careful balance to the world. Between light and dark...I walk the tightrope.

Posts: 16 | From: | Registered: Dec 2006  |  Logged: 24.182.10.147
Rykounagin

Son of Conflict

Member # 531

posted 01-12-2007 08:23 PM     Profile for Rykounagin   Author's Homepage   Email Rykounagin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The Gunslinger is great. His old works are great. But seriously, his new works suck. "Cell" was a terrible pretense for a zombie book. His new one... don't even get me started. My favorite though still remains to be "Salems Lot". The most subtle book I've probably ever read.

--------------------

"I'm not afraid to keep on living, I'm not afraid to walk this world alone;" -Black Parade

Posts: 869 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  Logged: 71.212.146.56
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 01-22-2007 04:59 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I must agree. King's older works are really his best; "Salem's Lot" and "The Shining" were my favorites, followed by "Cujo." Next in line are any and all of his earlier short stories; he was really a master at those, I think. If you find it, read his anthology "Night Shift." There's some in there that'll give you goosebumps, believe me!

I think after his earlier stuff King got into words... WAY, ENTIRELY TOO MANY words, sheesh. "The Stand?" I GUESS the book had rave reviews, and that the story was good but I couldn't weed all the way through it. He got carried away.

Of his "newer" ones, the book I consider best is "It," and that's really not all that new, so there ya have what I do think of his latest works...

I never have read the "Dark Tower" series. Something about King and western settings just seemed like an oxymoron to me!! And if the stories go beyond this, well... I just can't get into it simply because of the whole "gunslinger" thing. Personal opinion and all that.

[ 01-22-2007 05:02 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.100.65

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05