my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Our Galaxy.......   » Beyond Star Wars   » SW vs. ST

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: SW vs. ST
arogers1102

Super Saiyan Jedi

Member # 422

posted 02-09-2003 12:37 AM     Profile for arogers1102   Author's Homepage   Email arogers1102     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here is a little something to debate... Which side would win in this battle??? The Starship ENTERPRIZE NCC-1701-D against 3 X-Wings? After a few posts I'll give my answer... till then... peace out!

--------------------

o{///////0//)={#################################
Which STAR WARS character does GOKU remind you of in my avatar picture???
Anybody picture LUKE in the BACTA tank???

Posts: 105 | From: New Brunswick (eastern CANADA) | Registered: Feb 2003  |  Logged: 24.231.28.200
Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 02-09-2003 01:05 AM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
is this even a question??

seriously...

First of all, the Enterprise would be like 3 super star destroyers joined together... so that's one super star destroyer to each x wing...(just wait, if you think it's one sided now)

Also, the Enterprise's 'shields' are far more advanced than that of a x wing, their lasers wouldn't have a chance... no where near that of klingon disruptors, or phasers for that matter...(boring you yet?)

Shall I attempt to even talk about how these 3 x wings would dare to have a chance?

Ok, only one scenario...

here I go...

Geordi finally gets implants, but they fail during his 'check-up' on Data, he 'dots' where he should 'cross'... Data goes ape, does his best Picard, and sets the ship for 'self destruct'

wait, that would only be a stalemate... since the warp core breach would destroy the 3 x wings as well...

sorry, I really thought I had it there...

[ 02-09-2003 01:07 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Loban ]

--------------------

In the absence of light, darkness prevails

Posts: 1163 | From: Ardmore, OK | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 65.80.163.98
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 02-09-2003 01:46 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey, no contest. The Enterprise would easily mop up the X-Wings. Slap on the tractor beam, and that's all she wrote.

Or lob out a photon torpedo or two.

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.213.83
arogers1102

Super Saiyan Jedi

Member # 422

posted 02-09-2003 05:30 PM     Profile for arogers1102   Author's Homepage   Email arogers1102     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
First of all... X-wings are way too small for the Enterprize to even TARGET!!! so right away they have the advantage. The 3 X-wings must plan thier attack carefully though.. All three must drop out of HYPERSPACE at the same time... First one goes for the ENTERPRIZES sheild generator, and the other two go for the WARP NACELS... as we may have seen in ST taking out a Warp Nacel will blow up a ship pretty good!!! *BOOM* This is of course assuming that the X-wings don't have a Cloaking device... in which case the ENTERPRIZE wouldn't even know what hit it!!!
WORF "Sir we have lost the main sheild generator!"RIKER "RED ALERT"TROI "I sense 3 beings around the ship"PICARD "EVASIVE AC---------------"*EXPLOSION* ROGUE 2 "Target destroyed Commander Skywalker" LUKE "That will teach those TREKKIES to mess with us!!!!"

--------------------

Posts: 105 | From: New Brunswick (eastern CANADA) | Registered: Feb 2003  |  Logged: 24.231.28.200
Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 02-09-2003 05:38 PM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ok, you asked for it...

In that scenario, the Enterprise would still win... all Troy needs to do is sense the location of the 'cloaked' x wing pilots, then even if they couldn't 'target' they would simply beam the pilots into an asteroid or something...

--------------------

Posts: 1163 | From: Ardmore, OK | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 65.80.161.95
arogers1102

Super Saiyan Jedi

Member # 422

posted 02-09-2003 05:42 PM     Profile for arogers1102   Author's Homepage   Email arogers1102     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
TROI is HOT, but she is not DATA... she could never calculate the precise location of the pilots... Because LUKE would use the FORCE to cloud her senses!!!Now, CAN YOU DIG THAT??? SUCKAAAAA *Booker T's theme music plays in the background*

--------------------

Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 02-09-2003 05:51 PM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
all right, I see how you want to play it...

You are correct, she's no Data... but, Data is Data... and could easily track the x wing's firing vector... and merely one phaser hit would most definitely destroy an x wing... also, Data wouldn't have to detect them right away, since it would take the x wings weapons quite a while to knock down the Enterprises defenses...

And, let us not forget, Warp 1 is 10 times as fast as 'lightspeed'... if the Enterprise was in trouble, they'd long be gone before anything happened...

[ 02-09-2003 05:52 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Loban ]

--------------------

Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 02-09-2003 06:15 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh puh-leez, don't tell me Enterprise couldn't target the X-Wings! She could, quite easily. Sheesh, Birds of Prey can target probes, which are way smaller than X-Wings. Not to mention the Enterprise has "zeroed in" on targets even tinier in it's history.

That one episode about the computer prototype that they took aboard and finally got back out into space, where they blew it up is an example. I can't remember the name of the episode or the computer thing.

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.213.49
arogers1102

Super Saiyan Jedi

Member # 422

posted 02-09-2003 06:17 PM     Profile for arogers1102   Author's Homepage   Email arogers1102     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Good point, but DATA would not really be a fctor... The X-Wings could attack simultaniously, so in the time it takes to fire off 6 photon torpedo's (2 at a time) how is DATA suppoded to find them from thier fireing vectors???

--------------------

Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 02-09-2003 06:23 PM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Quite easily... he's Data...

Besides, who said anything about torpedos? Phasers would work, after calculating the vectors, it's simple enough to figure out where the x wings would be(or close enough...)

and this is assuming they're cloaked, and have the ability to fire while cloaked...

[ 02-09-2003 06:24 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Loban ]

--------------------

arogers1102

Super Saiyan Jedi

Member # 422

posted 02-09-2003 06:27 PM     Profile for arogers1102   Author's Homepage   Email arogers1102     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was refering to the X-Wings, when I was talking about the torpedo's... And DATA can't track Cloaked ships... The X-wings would only have to de-cloak for like 2 seconds to fire the Torpedo's!!! then re-cloak and they are off out of range of the explosion!

--------------------

Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 02-09-2003 06:36 PM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ok... lets say they were un-cloaked for 2 seconds... that is more than enough time to beam them out of their respective cockpits...

and lets say the only way they could win the battle, is if they were beamed into holographic x wings on board the Enterprise's holodeck...

and, even then, the computer would still have to stack the deck against the holographic Enterprise...

and that's that...

[ 02-09-2003 06:38 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Loban ]

--------------------

arogers1102

Super Saiyan Jedi

Member # 422

posted 02-09-2003 06:42 PM     Profile for arogers1102   Author's Homepage   Email arogers1102     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Great theory... but, How is DATA supposed to know if the X-wings have hostile intentions??? He can't ask TROI, because LUKE has her senses clouded!

--------------------

Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 02-09-2003 06:45 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
HELLO.

You are both missing the point I am trying to make, and that is that this whole subject is a moot point. Enterprise has already been proven to target much smaller targets and win.

Computers are computers... the X-Wing will be tracked and hit.

Not to mention a little fact everyone seems to be overlooking: X-Wings CANNOT swoop and dive and all that silliness that they do in SW. It is physically impossible. Not unless they have a HECKUVA LOTTA firing jets plastered all over them, which I sure as heck can't see.

They can go forward until acted upon by an outside force. Ask Newton and his physical laws of motion. Or, ask me. I teach astronomy, heh.

All the banking and swooping is indicative of motion in an atmosphere... which there is NOT in space. Their movements are limited. Enterprise would easily track, predict, and chew them up.

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.213.49
Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 02-09-2003 06:45 PM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
well... they were firing on the Enterprise, and Luke can cloud all the minds on the ship... but he ain't touching Data, and I believe he has the star fleet manual's definition of 'hostile aliens' memorized by now...

--------------------

arogers1102

Super Saiyan Jedi

Member # 422

posted 02-09-2003 06:52 PM     Profile for arogers1102   Author's Homepage   Email arogers1102     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
But Unlike LEIA DATA is NOT a committe! He "can not" act without orders! Killing a new Species, or the possiblity of one in a FORIEGN Space craft, is quite unacceptable to STARFLEET! And to GRAYSITH you have to go by what is seen in the movies! X-wings can swoop and dive in the movies, so they can in this debate.

--------------------

Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 02-09-2003 07:02 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ummm... no. Then the entire debate is moot, since Star Trek has always tried to adhere to the laws of physics. It is truer to science fiction, whereas Star Wars -- as has been brought up and heavily debated somewhere else in these forums -- is more of a space opera.

Reality-based versus non. There is no commonality for serious debate.

But even so: Enterprise COULD EASILY target the fighters and her phasers could just as easily blow them to smithereens. Lucas's ships use LASERS. Those are not as energetic as PHASERS. The structural shielding of the ships in the SW universe is geared against LASERS.

They'd be mincemeat... OK. Prime Directive: they'd target and tractor and beam aboard and imprison.

BUT. If they were attacked first, Prime Directive goes down the drain, and they can retaliate in self defense. They'd probably target and disable and tractor and beam, though.

And no way could Luke cloud Data's mind. It is a computer. Luke can't do that....

R2-D2 might strike up a conversation with him, though.

[ 02-09-2003 07:06 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

arogers1102

Super Saiyan Jedi

Member # 422

posted 02-09-2003 07:13 PM     Profile for arogers1102   Author's Homepage   Email arogers1102     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
L@ R2D2 statement! After the X-wings fire there will be no time to LOCK TRACTOR BEAMS!!! the Enterprize and her crew will be dead. I'll concede to a stalemate, because they might have time to transport them into a penal colony of some sort. But I doubt it! Captain Picards last words probably won't be "Beam them to a penal colony Mr. DATA!!!"

--------------------

arogers1102

Super Saiyan Jedi

Member # 422

posted 02-09-2003 07:16 PM     Profile for arogers1102   Author's Homepage   Email arogers1102     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Plus... I have never watched an episode of TREK where they sat around with thier sheilds up, "just in case".

--------------------

Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 02-09-2003 07:22 PM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ok, Borg cube comes out of warp.. assimilates Luke, and he becomes the next Locutas...

any questions?

--------------------

arogers1102

Super Saiyan Jedi

Member # 422

posted 02-09-2003 07:24 PM     Profile for arogers1102   Author's Homepage   Email arogers1102     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
LOBAN... the BORG are not a part of this... this fight (or lack thereof on the part of the ENTERPRIZE) is between 3 X-WINGS and the ENTERPRIZE. No BORG!!! Mmmmm.....Borg

--------------------

Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 02-09-2003 07:36 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There is NO WAY they would win simply because they would not know where and how to hit the Enterprise, and the moment they did, the shields would be raised and they would be captured.

Not to mention that the Enterprise has very long range sensors, and would know of them coming in, and would recognize any attack formation they might try to make, and would thus raise her shields... not to mention that when the X-Wings refused to answer her hails to begin with she would then raise them, and so on.

And who's talking about Picard? I'm talking about the greatest Star Trek captain: James Tiberius Kirk.

They just wouldn't stand a chance. Kirk ALWAYS raised shields when unknown spacecraft came into sight. I think Picard does too, for that matter. It's standard Starfleet protocol, sheesh.

You can't pit flyboys against seasoned captains. No way.

[ 02-09-2003 07:40 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

Mara1Jade

Expanded Universe Goddess and Corran Obsessor

Member # 68

posted 02-10-2003 11:22 PM     Profile for Mara1Jade   Author's Homepage   Email Mara1Jade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
X-wings, to begin with, are entirely too small to have cloaking devices.

--------------------

Small minds think in small terms!
~~CMH, creator and writer of Shayla Petrolu, Erik Kartan, Shawn Petrolu, Terrin Danner, Jasyn Lancaster, Matt Stanza, Aaron Barnes, And Taylor Garrison~~

Posts: 980 | From: Jacksonville, FL, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  Logged: 66.20.159.80

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05