my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Our Galaxy.......   » Beyond Star Wars   » Are you an addict?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: Are you an addict?
BobPalpatine

Foo Fighter

Member # 17

posted 01-30-2003 12:15 PM     Profile for BobPalpatine   Author's Homepage   Email BobPalpatine     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've become a movie junkie. I go to see usually at least 2 movies a week, sometimes more. This week I'm seeing Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, The Hours, Chicago, and The Recruit. Tonight is The Hours, tommorow afternoon my mom is taking me to Chicago because she wants someone to see it with her, and I thought well since she's paying. Then tommorow night I'm seeing The Recruit with some friends.

I already saw Confessions of a Dangerous Mind earlier this week and I was very suprised at how well it was filmed. George Clooney I think may have a knack for directing, although I have a feeling he is trying to put a little twist on Soderberg's style. The movie captivated me, and I'm still wondering. Was Chuck Barris really a CIA assasian? Well most likely no, but still a great story none the less. Go see it.

While I am a movie junkie, it doesn't mean I'll go see just anything. Like I refuse to go see movies in which I feel my intelligence will be lowered . Take Kangaroo Jack, why on earth would anyone want to see that? I got offered a free ticket to it, but didn't go cause it would be a waste of an hour and a half. Another movie I'm refusing to go see is the new movie Biker Boyz. Any movie that uses a z instead of a s in the title is not the movie for me.

So which do you prefer, intelligent movies (Adaptation, The Hours, 25th Hours, etc.) or mindless crap (Kangaroo Jack, Biker Boyz, The Hot Chick, etc.)?

Ohh and I usually rent about 6 movies a week too. Told ya I'm addicted.

--------------------

"Can't you hear my motored heart? Your the one that started it!"

-Foo Fighters "Generator"

Cogito ergo sum

BobPalpatine
Holonet Admin

Posts: 681 | From: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  Logged: 198.209.26.252
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 01-30-2003 02:02 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My favorite genres are: non-fiction science, science fiction and adventure. My least are historical documentaries and murder mysteries. Or any mystery. I usually figure out what's going on and who dunnit at the outset, then spend my time just sitting there waiting for my belief to be justified. However, if it's an "adventure-oriented" historical documentary, such as something I find personally adventurous, then it's ok. Like climbing Mt. Everest, etc.)

Regarding the entirety of the gamut between these, it depends. I like SOME drama, SOME suspense, SOME comedies, and so on.

Example: I love anything with Jim Carey, because he is simply hysterical. I do NOT like Austin Powers, and so have never seen those movies and never will.

Depends, again, on the subject matter and who's in it. I guess that in any other genre than sci-fi, adventure, and science, my interest just subject/actor dependent.

I used to go to a movie a week. Now I either rent them, or buy them if I know I'll watch them over and over.

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 64.12.96.79
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 01-30-2003 03:16 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If I had the money to go to the movies, I'd do what you're doing, but I don't have the cash. I prefer the intellectual movies rather than the dull comedies, mainly because in the comedies the story is either really dumb (Austin Powers 3) or it's a romantic comedy, and the story is always the same.

As soon as I get a chance I'm gonna go see Catch Me If You Can and Gangs of New York, both looked really good.

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 12.220.185.199
Padme of Hidden Lake

Really Nice Member

Member # 107

posted 01-31-2003 08:39 PM     Profile for Padme of Hidden Lake   Author's Homepage   Email Padme of Hidden Lake     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well I almost never have the money to go to the movies so unless it is a "got to see right now" blockbuster/fantasy type thing (aka, HP, LOTR, or SW) I either wait till it's at the dollar theater when I'm at school or I can rent it - you pay much less that way since you can split the cost with the group and if the group is big enough pay only pennies each....

But I don't realloy have a preference - Fantasy of course but otehr than that it depends on my mood - I don't do gorry horror though - i can handle the old 50-60s monster movies but thats about it....

--------------------

A friend once told me "The Turtle Moves" I think we should all remember that right now...
Don't dance to live, live to dance!

Posts: 319 | From: Wandering the planet | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 204.168.82.9
BobPalpatine

Foo Fighter

Member # 17

posted 02-04-2003 11:29 AM     Profile for BobPalpatine   Author's Homepage   Email BobPalpatine     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Catch Me If You Can and Gangs of New York were both very good movies. Leonardo DiCaprio did a good job in both. Although I expected him to do well. Despite my feelings towards him as a person, I do think he is a good actor. I mean that is evident from The Basketball Diaries.

In fact that was one of the movies I rented this week. Along with Taxi Driver, which is a great movie, although almost all that Scorcese does is really good. As foul-mouthed as it is, most of his movies are very grounded in reality, its the hard life of the underworld of our country.

One thing if you see Gangs of New York, don't expect a pretty portrayal of old New York like in some other movies you may have seen. Scorcese shows it like it was, a slum of many different people, many of which were poor and sometimes even killed so that they could survive. This movie will jolt you with its scenes of the draft riots. It was definitly worth the 20 some odd year wait.

I don't know what movies to go see this week...maybe I'll go see some more films at some of the art film houses. I'd rather not waste my time with Shanghi Knights this Friday. Buddy movies are so overplayed...I think I'll barf if I see Owen Wilson try another one, and Jackie Chan needs to learn how to speak English better!

Uhh...yea...a sidenote. I think I'm getting my computer tonight, so I should be back online at my house tonight, and think I may also be getting DSL next month sometime. I need it for XBOX Live.

--------------------

"Can't you hear my motored heart? Your the one that started it!"

-Foo Fighters "Generator"

Cogito ergo sum

BobPalpatine
Holonet Admin

Posts: 681 | From: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  Logged: 198.209.26.252
Taehun

Dark Jedi

Member # 290

posted 02-04-2003 05:29 PM     Profile for Taehun   Author's Homepage   Email Taehun     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I HATE YOU...i have an x-box and i'm stuck with aol!!!

--------------------

All in all it was just another brick in the wall,
all in all you were just another brick in the wall.

Posts: 248 | From: USAFA, CO | Registered: Jul 2002  |  Logged: 198.81.18.173
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 02-05-2003 01:33 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Bob: have you seen "Bringing In The Dead?" Its a GREAT movie; not a current one, you'll have to rent it.

Another obscure one which is AWESOME is "Albino Alligator." NO it is NOT about white reptiles, heh. It is a good movie about some robber/murderers who take refuge in a bar and what happens....

I highly recommend it, but it's hard to find.

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.193.189

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05