my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
»  The Holonet Boards   » Role Playing   » Tales of Middle Earth   » Role Playing

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: Role Playing
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 02-02-2003 01:02 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
OK, it has been pointed out to me that there are "other" Elven Kingdoms with which the kingdoms of man may battle. Moon's Keep (where the King of the Elves lives, by the way) is currently hidden by elven magicks and thus physically removed from the realm of man.

If battles are to ensue, someone better start making characters... otherwise the role play will segue into story-telling, which then belongs in DaVinci's and Hemmingways.

Thank you.

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 64.12.107.33
Arandil

Member # 403

posted 02-03-2003 03:35 PM     Profile for Arandil   Author's Homepage   Email Arandil     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
This includes characters directly from the LOTR books/movies right? (Elrond and Galadriel, for example)

I'm also considering the Steward of Gondor and the King of Rohan...

[ 02-03-2003 03:35 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Arandil ]

--------------------

An heir to the Kings of Men, it is a hard life to live by...

Posts: 38 | From: The wild... | Registered: Dec 2002  |  Logged: 68.50.185.134
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 02-03-2003 06:33 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Remember this is DIFFERENT from LOTR. In LOTR there is no Moon's Keep, there is no sorceress, there are no unicorns or Wood's Wraiths. This is like our SW Universe: we follow the main ideas, but no one is "Luke" or "Leia" or "Padme."

Otherwise it becomes too restrictive. Try to think beyond the box. Put it at a different time in the LOTR timeline. Be creative. Ideas, setting, etc. Not specific indivuduals. Making specific individuals leads to having to adhere to an already determined course of action.

Perhaps this thread needs closure, as there seems to be too many questions and misunderstandings regarding it. Read the setting again for this forum, it might help.

[ 02-03-2003 06:36 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 64.12.107.54
Mara1Jade

Expanded Universe Goddess and Corran Obsessor

Member # 68

posted 02-03-2003 08:31 PM     Profile for Mara1Jade   Author's Homepage   Email Mara1Jade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
There are plenty of other ways we can go now that the only represented Elven kingdom has been taken out of play. The battle with the elves was something that was set as a goal BEFORE Wydde's wood was taken into shadow. I agree though that we need to stay away from specific names (i.e. Steward of Gondor, Galadriel). Not only does it tie us down as far as things that must happen, it will make things more difficult for those of us (at least for me, anyway) who don't know all that much about LOTR aside from the movies.

--------------------

Small minds think in small terms!
~~CMH, creator and writer of Shayla Petrolu, Erik Kartan, Shawn Petrolu, Terrin Danner, Jasyn Lancaster, Matt Stanza, Aaron Barnes, And Taylor Garrison~~

Posts: 972 | From: Jacksonville, FL, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  Logged: 65.80.105.138
Arandil

Member # 403

posted 02-03-2003 09:05 PM     Profile for Arandil   Author's Homepage   Email Arandil     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
No no, thats not what I meant. I mean USING specific characters, but not actually BEING them. You know, like NPCs or something.

--------------------

Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 02-03-2003 11:04 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
You must have a character to post in role play. Otherwise this dissolves into a bajillion NPCs and hence story-telling. In role play, you write a post and someone else reacts to it. Hence excessive "thought" posts are kinda unnecessary: this gives the writers an idea but the characters cannot respond.

If you want another elf to represent another elven kingdom... although according to this ME since Gildur is "King of THE Elves" that kinda indicates the elf kingdom in general.

POINT BEING: Get your mano y mano wars and battles going. The elves are in hiding. This is a different time in Middle Kingdom, which has been loosely adhered to. This is not a LOTR mud. This is where creativity can run rampant.

If you want to make A KING of Gondor, then go for it. Then through him... or maybe make a soldier... you can represent the battles.

But if you read the role play rules in general, battles are kinda frowned on. They are difficult to do with few characters, not to mention kinda superfluous since we can't kill each other here. You will note we have not had too many "battles" in the SW universe; some have been referred to as set-up, and then the characters respond accordingly.

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.213.53
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 02-03-2003 11:29 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I may be out of my domain, but I don't think anyone understands the question. I think the person is asking whether or not he/she can refer to the King of Rohan, Theodan (sp?). Not play as him, but refer to him.

The answer of course would be no, as the RP is set in a different time period, before he lived. Right, GS and Mara? I would guess that some of the elves would be able to be referred to, as they live forever...

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 12.220.189.20
Mara1Jade

Member # 68

posted 02-03-2003 11:43 PM     Profile for Mara1Jade   Author's Homepage   Email Mara1Jade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Well, my suggestion would be to avoid the kings of Theodan and Rohan, anyway. The King of Gondor has already been mentioned, and Isildur, and all that. Those names are big in LOTR, so I don't see a big deal with references to them. Heck, maybe there is a Theodan out there. But there sure as HECK is no Taunderon in the "cannon" LOTR, and there IS one here.

I think the point is to be a little free. Make up some new places, etc. Be creative.

Do I have the idea?

--------------------

~~CMH, creator and writer of Shayla Petrolu, Erik Kartan, Shawn Petrolu, Terrin Danner, Jasyn Lancaster, Matt Stanza, Aaron Barnes, And Taylor Garrison~~

Posts: 972 | From: Jacksonville, FL, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  Logged: 65.80.105.138
Arandil

Member # 403

posted 02-04-2003 06:41 AM     Profile for Arandil   Author's Homepage   Email Arandil     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Ah, okay, GS, I got it now.

And I'm not referring to King Theoden, considering the time the RP is taking place. Just a made up one, like the King of Taunderon for example.

--------------------

Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 02-04-2003 12:45 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Yeah, maybe I wasn't as clear as I could have been.

Think of it this way: we are all OTHER people/characters involved in our little dramas, and the setting is Middle Earth of Tolkien. We have appropriated the setting only. So this is fantasy in general, along with some of the beings Tolkien wrote about, which is why there are unicorns (hey, I extrapolated from Tolkien when I made up Gorfynt: he had ringwraiths riding on dragons; if there are dragons in Middle Earth, why not unicorns?)

So yeah, go ahead and make a King of somewhere if you want; heck, make a new kingdom. (Wydde's Wood and Moon's Keep certainly are newbies.) My main concern is that if everyone gets involved in battles and such, that they are approached from a role play aspect, and not from the point of one character who alludes that others react such and so. For example, Arandil (a man) writing of "fierce battles with the elves, but we're winning" kind of thing. That's storytelling. We'd need someone writing as an elf to put in THAT half of the battle.

Otherwise anyone could start writing anything they wanted about wars and who's winning and so on and so forth. Remember too: that type of approach leads to the generation of a LOT of NCPs... which are subject to quick termination by other writers. It is best to write simply from the view of one character.

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 64.12.107.43
Mara1Jade

Member # 68

posted 02-04-2003 12:55 PM     Profile for Mara1Jade   Author's Homepage   Email Mara1Jade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
No worries, Mara has an idea...

--------------------

Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 02-04-2003 04:31 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
YAY.

That's what it's all about!

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 64.12.107.52
saroff

Broken Back Button

Member # 525

posted 01-29-2004 04:02 PM     Profile for saroff   Author's Homepage   Email saroff     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
hey every one talk to me

--------------------

gone right know

Posts: 1 | From: | Registered: Jan 2004  |  Logged: 207.73.176.38

All times are CT  

Topic Closed  Topic Closed
Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e