my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Our Galaxy.......   » Da Vinci's & Hemingway's   » anyone willing to beta-read...

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: anyone willing to beta-read...
RowenaR

Broken Back Button

Member # 152

posted 02-15-2002 06:42 PM     Profile for RowenaR   Author's Homepage   Email RowenaR     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
the first chapter of a pilot-centred fanfiction? it takes place shortly before the battle of yavin and is about a squadron called gray squadron.

i really need a beta-reader to check spelling and grammar because i'm not a native speaker of english and this time i really want the story to be perfect from the beginning on... oh, and someone for style, plot and characters wouldn't be too bad either.

so... please?

--------------------

--
"I believe in karma what you give is what you get returned
I believe you can?t appreciate real love ?til you?ve been burned
I believe the grass is no more greener on the other side
I believe you don?t know what you?ve got until you say goodbye "
savage garden, "affirmation"

Posts: 6 | From: germany | Registered: Jan 2002  |  Logged: 217.5.88.18
Rogue Angel

Jedi Knight

Member # 33

posted 02-15-2002 10:30 PM     Profile for Rogue Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Rogue Angel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm an aspiring writer myself, and I would be glad to beta-read for you, Rowena! Just let me know what you'd like me to read...

--------------------

"Is that a lightsaber in your pocket or are ya just happy to see me?"

Posts: 357 | From: Mississippi, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 172.140.137.29
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 02-15-2002 11:39 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I too am working on a book (two, actually...) and have had some small works published in the past. I am also in education, and would love to assist where I can.

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 209.255.158.178
RowenaR

Broken Back Button

Member # 152

posted 02-17-2002 11:37 AM     Profile for RowenaR   Author's Homepage   Email RowenaR     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hey, ain't that cool, i finished chapter two yesterday... ^_^

--------------------

--

Posts: 6 | From: germany | Registered: Jan 2002  |  Logged: 62.158.192.138
Padme of Hidden Lake

Really Nice Member

Member # 107

posted 02-19-2002 10:38 AM     Profile for Padme of Hidden Lake   Author's Homepage   Email Padme of Hidden Lake     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok this may sound really really stupid coming from a writer but - what is Beta-read and what would doing it entail - I have no good English skills afraid to say being a native speaker so I don't know if I'd be much help - but I can't say if I would be able to put enough time into doing it if I don't know what it is and I don't like doing things halfbaked - it helps noone....

--------------------

A friend once told me "The Turtle Moves" I think we should all remember that right now...
Don't dance to live, live to dance!

Posts: 319 | From: Wandering the planet | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 193.52.64.54
RowenaR

Broken Back Button

Member # 152

posted 02-19-2002 10:55 AM     Profile for RowenaR   Author's Homepage   Email RowenaR     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
beta-read means to let someone else proof-read a story (but as computer-fanatic as we fanfic-writers all are we need something from the computer vocabulary *g meaning, beta-read obviously has the same origin as beta-test). normally i post without letting anyone beta-read because i never find someone who wants to read my stories (it's either "Star wars (x-men, DND-the movie, mulan, JAG, whatever)? not with me!", "Star wars (insert the fandoms mentioned above...)? cool! but in english? no way i'm gonna read this!" or "Star Wars? And in english? you must be kidding!") but i just want this to be perfect because it's a story that has been lurking around in my head for quite a while. i actually had it written down (in german) but after letting it lie for say a year and the re-reading it i absolutely didn't like the style and plot so i decided to re-write it in english and with a changed plot... and i think it's looking much better now... but my betas will decide this *g

--------------------

--

Posts: 6 | From: germany | Registered: Jan 2002  |  Logged: 217.80.18.135
Padme of Hidden Lake

Really Nice Member

Member # 107

posted 02-20-2002 10:20 AM     Profile for Padme of Hidden Lake   Author's Homepage   Email Padme of Hidden Lake     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ah ok - sure I'll help - I don't feel so bad not knowing what it is now either - I don't write Fanfic - just Fantasy and Kids books - cause they are faster,easier and sure to make money besides I'm going to be a teacher I know kids inside out I know what they like to read - why not write for them.... All I have to do now is convince the nice editors that they really really want to publish it for me.....

--------------------

A friend once told me "The Turtle Moves" I think we should all remember that right now...
Don't dance to live, live to dance!

Posts: 319 | From: Wandering the planet | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 193.52.64.54

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05