my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Role Playing   » RP Headquarters   » My bad

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: My bad
Cel

Really Nice Member

Member # 697

posted 01-22-2019 09:06 AM     Profile for Cel   Author's Homepage   Email Cel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sorry for my absence. At my job I stare at a computer screen all day taking someones idea for furniture and turn it into real specs and how another machine will cut those pieces out of a giant board. Suffice to say at the end of a work day my mind gets a little fried. Onto RP, I can see how we all... especially me... took the holonet for granted, (splitting the universe between legends and disney canon doesn't help). I thought a come across some similar description of the holonet during one of the books that took place during the Vong war, admittedly its been almost 10 years since I read those. If that proved to be to convenient of a solution I do have an idea of how to nullify it without messing with anyone else's post, at mostly Link's expense. Could also be funny at the same time.

[ 01-22-2019 09:06 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Cel ]

--------------------

Creator of Adrianna Joao (Cel, "Link"), Kyan Jetiis'ad (Deceased), Kani Jetiis'ad, Bes'in Skirata

Posts: 328 | From: Oregon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  Logged: 73.240.15.57
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 01-22-2019 11:45 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey, no worries! LOL, we were more concerned about losing you from RP again! NOW we have a reason should you "disappear" again, which helps.

To tell the truth, I've been getting into what research I can find online regarding the HoloNet... which led me into RL communications and cell phone and how they work, and so on. What I cannot find is anything specific about SW communications in more detail, just that subspace WAS used for transmissions, but the HoloNet somehow provides instantaneous transmissions, presumably by utilizing hyperspace.

Since we're not dealing with merely a communication transmission but a distress signal, it made sense to me that it would be sent out over as many bandwidths as possible, using ALL SPACE. Yeah, the Net and subspace can reach farther... BUT in real space the signal, if found, can be triangulated and thus its source found.

I have no idea if this has been dealt with in any way, shape or form in the SW world out there. It's just me trying to be something approaching logical. If this is what Link had been attempting to do, to get the onboard hyper beacon (if that is what it really is) up and running so that via triangulation Galen's position might be discovered... OR if she's trying something similar to when my satellite internet system goes offline and I have to reboot (so it "tells" the satellite, "Hey, HERE I AM!" - lolol) well, both scenarios make sense. One gives instantaneous positioning. The other needs triangulation.

ANYWAY, this has now "slopped over" into Terrin's men being made aware of what is happening... and one of those men is currently on K'eel Doba, seeking a means of contacting Aelvedaar... whose Crystal Octahedron can easily show Galen's position, or should... hehehe, they think.

Oops, did I say too much?

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 75.106.180.73
Mara1Jade

Expanded Universe Goddess and Corran Obsessor

Member # 68

posted 01-22-2019 02:58 PM     Profile for Mara1Jade   Author's Homepage   Email Mara1Jade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think the main thing is as long as it's logical, or makes sense via the Star Wars world, it's all good. I honestly haven't read all the New Jedi Order books and at that it's been probably 10 years or more for me too.

And regarding Aelvedaar and the Octahedron...awww, crap....

--------------------

Small minds think in small terms!
~~CMH, creator and writer of Shayla Petrolu, Erik Kartan, Shawn Petrolu, Terrin Danner, Jasyn Lancaster, Matt Stanza, Aaron Barnes, And Taylor Garrison~~

Posts: 972 | From: Jacksonville, FL, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  Logged: 108.71.141.62

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05