my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Role Playing   » RP Headquarters   » Suggestions for Role Play

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: Suggestions for Role Play
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 06-04-2006 11:44 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Okay, this is not aimed at anyone in particular, but at everyone as a whole, including anyone new who would like to come role play here.

While much of role play revolves around one's character making a reply when he or she (or it, heh) is in a thread, there is something to be said about moving the thread along. In other words, even if no one in particular has spoken to your character, there is always something going on one can react to.

Little bits and pieces like this keep the thread moving, and often prove to be the heart of character development.

Just FYI for anyone, thank you.

Anyone with any other suggestions along this line, feel free to reply here, too. We can all help each other make this the best it can be for everyone involved.

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.100.65
Rykounagin

Son of Conflict

Member # 531

posted 06-04-2006 11:47 PM     Profile for Rykounagin   Author's Homepage   Email Rykounagin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well alright, I'll throw something in.

Consistancy: Your character is what the name implies, a character. Because of this, you should play to their emotions and line of thinking. If you play Krusk, the outlandish barbarian from the sand people, talk of hydrospaners is likely to confuse you, let alone nuclear physics. Also, at the same time, if your wife was just killed by another character (rules pending), take into account that just because s/he did so, and is now offering you the world on a silver platter, you are still more likely to act in an enraged fashion, rather than with coherent thought.

Just the notes of consistancy!

--------------------

"I'm not afraid to keep on living, I'm not afraid to walk this world alone;" -Black Parade

Posts: 869 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  Logged: 71.212.146.41
Rykounagin

Son of Conflict

Member # 531

posted 06-04-2006 11:51 PM     Profile for Rykounagin   Author's Homepage   Email Rykounagin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Predisposition, Bigotry, and Prejudice: The average rebel hates the average stormtrooper. The average soldier hates the enemy, the average bothan is loathe to help an imperial due to the prejudice and conditions they were placed on by the imperials during the empire's first reign.

Guess what? It's likely that your character will have a phobia or bigotry of some other group, whether it be a race, imperials, or any other organisation! Thus your character is likely to act on that bit of information more than ANYTHING else, no matter what the conditions are, unless some very strong (and time consuming) bond has occured betwixt those characters.

Such opinions and bigotries cannot be wiped away with a smile, basic information, or a quickly bought drink. Even if these things are given freely, suspicion is still quite likely to remain.

--------------------

"I'm not afraid to keep on living, I'm not afraid to walk this world alone;" -Black Parade

Posts: 869 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  Logged: 71.212.146.41
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 06-04-2006 11:58 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If anyone wants to see some good examples of what Ryk has just added, go read "The Great Temple at Khar Delba" in the Jedi/Sith forums. I think it's on the last page.

That's what we mean...

BUT, something to consider... while characters DO act in accordance to bigotries, racial whatever, so on and so forth... remember that do to circumstances that DO arise said dispositions might, and should, change.

It is illogical to remain steadfast to original convictions over too great a period of time, when in active role play. Usually much of something or another happens to bring out opposing views and so on.

Characters can and do change (just ask Shayla, heh), and that's what character development is all about.

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.100.65
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 06-05-2006 01:27 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh yes, and then there is Role play Rule NUMBER ONE:

NOTHING EVER GOES AS PLANNED... or rarely does.

Remember, EVERYONE has their own agenda. NOTHING happens overnight.

So don't get miffed when people don't respond in the manner you were expecting. Everyone has their own reactions.

Watch your back. Set yourself up the way you need. These things take TIME.

Just another FYI...

--------------------

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05