my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
»  The Holonet Boards   » Role Playing   » RP Headquarters   » Emissary Discussion

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: Emissary Discussion
Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 04-07-2003 04:37 PM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
That's nice, but I was referring to her assumption she was on Tyberius's ship...

Explain that.

And, she's never been in a hologram ON Tyberius's ship before this situation.

Btw, thanks for shutting me out of MY thread.

Close them all, see what I care.

Oh, and by 'stasis' I meant motionless state... or, unable to understand there was something afoot...

Anything else I did wrong?

[ 04-08-2003 11:14 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

In the absence of light, darkness prevails

Posts: 1163 | From: Ardmore, OK | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 65.80.162.199
Shayla Stargazer Petrolu

Adept

Member # 123

posted 04-07-2003 06:44 PM     Profile for Shayla Stargazer Petrolu   Author's Homepage   Email Shayla Stargazer Petrolu     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
From Tyberius's post on 4-02-2003 at 1:34 am:

"...Good, we shall deal with them later... send word to engineers, nothing and no one is to affect the holographic simulation aboard my ship..."

And I checked back regarding Shayla's former experience with the hologram. The "illusion" (which logically HAD to be a hologram projected from SOMEWHERE) back in "To Face a Tyrant" wasn't on Tyberius's ship as I first thought. HOWEVER, having that experience with the hologram in tandem with an encounter with Tyberius PLUS the fact Shayla can reasonably assume she HAS to be in his ship (controlled situation, Force-block, blah blah blah) STILL justifies the post I made. There was no specific reference to Shayla recalling being in a hologram in Tyberius's ship in my post; the only reference was that she remembered something that had happened to her and Loban when they had gone to Tatooine to meet Tyberius. The post is legit.

I assumed nothing.

[ 04-07-2003 06:58 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Shayla Stargazer Petrolu ]

--------------------

"Small minds think in small terms!"
~~CMH~~
(I am NOT turning to the Darkside...)

Posts: 1711 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: Jun 2001  |  Logged: 65.80.104.241
Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 04-07-2003 06:58 PM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Give it up, your characters assume EVERYTHING.

And are ALWAYS correct in their assumptions.

End of debate from this end.

[ 04-07-2003 07:00 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Loban ]

--------------------

Posts: 1163 | From: Ardmore, OK | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 65.80.162.199
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 04-07-2003 08:27 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
OK. This does not belong in RPG. This type of discussion belongs in RP HQ, or in PM, IM or email.

From the Tyberius post in question, as was mentioned in my closing post: there was a discrepency between "stasis" and "as far as Shayla and Erik knew they were in orbit around Kamino." Shayla did figure out a way to determine she was not in orbit. You cannot control her Force use.

She used a legit reason to reach out with the Force, and found she was blocked. That alone, with the past history she has had with Tyberius, is enough to justify suspicions that "something is afoot."

I agree that by assuming she is aboard a ship she might be jumping to a conclusion. But as of yet, THERE HAS BEEN NO PROOF THAT SHE HAS FOUND HERSELF ABOARD THE SHIP. She can THINK all she wants. She never did say, "Oh look, WE ARE in Tyberius ship." I mean, she said that as a flat statement, but without further proof. So where they actually ARE is still up for grabs, so to speak.

All she did was determine that she and Erik are in a hologram, by perfectly logical means.

[ 04-08-2003 11:15 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 64.12.96.79
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 04-07-2003 10:51 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Actually, this scenario is plausible. Holograms are images, light reflected in three dimensions and viewed by laser light and not ordinary light. From earlier posts, it is Tyberius's ship which blocks the Force; no hologram can do that. And any Jedi can easily ascertain if the Force he uses is being blocked by something. And Shayla HAS been in a hologram on Tyberius's ship before, so this is not unfamiliar to her.

Remember as well, this hologram -- which is an advanced version of that which is used in communication transmissions -- is NOT like what is used in Star Trek, which is linked to replicators so that what is created in the holo-suites IS actually created, much like their replicators "re-create" objects following programmed paradigms. THAT technology is not known in the world of Star Wars, or to my knowledge has not been stated or described in our descriptions forums... unless it is The All.

Heh.

Thus the holographic ruse is of "normal" holographic technology, advanced, but realistic. When approached, I suggested that Mara research how holograms work. She did a good job.))

The ONLY discrepency is the fact that Tyberius asked if Shayla and Erik were "in stasis," but then followed with "they believe they are in orbit?" which was reinforced by the final line in that directing post. "Stasis" normally would denote a state of unconsciousness, and is thus a paradox to the rest of the post. Unless their minds were being manipulated and they were DREAMING that they thought they were leaving... but then there was reference to the hologram.

Thus the logical conclusion would be that Shayla and Erik are awake and aware but in a holographic ruse, and the comment about being "in stasis" can be taken as a general one asking if they had been "stopped."

[ 04-08-2003 11:15 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 64.12.96.79
Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 04-08-2003 02:46 AM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
quote:

THERE HAS BEEN NO PROOF THAT SHE HAS FOUND HERSELF ABOARD THE SHIP. She can THINK all she wants.

THAT'S MY POINT, the characters are ALWAYS right... (think all she wants)

I dunno, maybe it was everything that led up to this point...

And, don't tell me we're back on the 'stasis' thing... sheesh.

--------------------

Posts: 1163 | From: Ardmore, OK | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 65.80.162.41
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 04-08-2003 11:08 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Please present your concerns in a straightforward manner so they can be addressed. I don't know about Mara, but to be honest I am having difficulty trying to figure out exactly what you are finding fault with.

You seem to be changing horses in midstream. The comment about Mara thinking she is aboard the ship has already been addressed: she reached that possibility in a logical manner. BUT it has still to be written that this is where she actually is. She has yet to be proven right or wrong about this. I don't see how she is "always being right" in this regard.

Unless of course she really IS in the ship... and I am assuming she is going to continue posting in that belief unless something happens to alter her (the character's) thinking.

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.188.199
Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 04-08-2003 11:14 AM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
WTF??? she IS IN THE SHIP...

DUH???

And, I'm tired of her characters assuming things dammit...

ONCE, JUST ONCE THEY'VE GOTTA BE WRONG...

Now, if that isn't straight forward enough... forget it.

And what do you mean 'changing horses mid stream', you're always saying bull like that...

Guess what, yeah, I'm tired of that too...

[ 04-08-2003 11:16 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Loban ]

--------------------

Posts: 1163 | From: Ardmore, OK | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 68.155.96.171
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 04-08-2003 11:21 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
OK, simple enough.

It is your turn to post. PUT THE HOLOGRAM SOMEWHERE ELSE OTHER THAN THE TYBERIUS SHIP.

Tyberius is something of the "emissary" to the Kaminoans. The Kaminoans are scientists, and handy with technology.

Shayla doesn't have to be aboard the ship at all; it's up to you to write a reply.

I have a hunch that if no reply is written she is going to continue as though being aboard the ship, though.

Oh yes, I also want to remind all that there indeed have been times when Shayla has been a touch wee on the "always right" side... the author is aware, and at recommendation has altered posts in the past.

But in this case I see good logical deduction backed with the character's personal experience with Tyberius, followed up with research into the workings of holograms. That is why I am defending this particular post.

[ 04-08-2003 11:24 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.188.199
Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 04-08-2003 11:22 AM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
that fixes everything, thanks

--------------------

Posts: 1163 | From: Ardmore, OK | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 68.155.96.171
Mara1Jade

Expanded Universe Goddess and Corran Obsessor

Member # 68

posted 04-08-2003 11:23 AM     Profile for Mara1Jade   Author's Homepage   Email Mara1Jade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I'm starting to think the issue is that I got my characters "unstuck." Honestly, did you expect my characters to just sit around and WAIT for something to happen after realizing that SOMETHING wasn't right? You voiced no objections when Shayla realized that she couldn't sense out very far in the Force, which was posted something like 3 days ago. And, so far as the thread was going, Tyberius had no immediate intentions to interact with Shayla or Erik, and has yet to do so.

Shayla will continue to be right until YOU post to the contrary. That's in your hands, not mine. She THINKS she's in Tyberius's ship.

Prove her wrong. And if she's not, DO SOMETHING. That was my intent with the post in question to begin with; to get something going rather than sitting there with my characters going "Gee, something ain't right here..."

--------------------

Small minds think in small terms!
~~CMH, creator and writer of Shayla Petrolu, Erik Kartan, Shawn Petrolu, Terrin Danner, Jasyn Lancaster, Matt Stanza, Aaron Barnes, And Taylor Garrison~~

Posts: 972 | From: Jacksonville, FL, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  Logged: 65.80.104.241
Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 04-08-2003 11:26 AM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
quote:

I'm starting to think the issue is that I got my characters "unstuck."

How are they ""unstuck"" again?

They very much still "stuck"...

What logic would dictate Tyberius moving them from his ship??

Honestly, could you explain that?

Compromise is two way? isn't it?

--------------------

Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 04-08-2003 11:31 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I can think of ways they can get off... I know Mara is no slouch in the imagination department.

Prepare to be surprised, methinks.

--------------------

Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 04-08-2003 11:33 AM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
did you even read my post??

*rolls eyes*

Am I mistaken there were words spoken last night toward a 'compromise', or something??

((OOC: THIS ENTIRE THREAD IS MOOT AS LOBAN DELETED THE "EMISSARY" THREAD. HOWEVER, WE'LL KEEP THIS HERE JUST FOR REFERENCE. THANK YOU.))

[ 04-14-2003 02:00 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

All times are CT  

Topic Closed  Topic Closed
Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05