my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Role Playing   » RP Headquarters   » Rules, How-to, and Setting

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: Rules, How-to, and Setting
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 06-23-2001 06:35 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Its a regular RP but in a real-time world where when one thing happens in one forum it can effect the others. Personally I think this is a way more organized RP than lots of them out there but thats just me....

You create a character and it can be anything that has to do with the SW universe...it can be a senator, pilot, jedi, sith, etc.

Depending on your character you might wanna ask how you can jump into the story...

There are some rules too...

• No posting with another person's character. It is for them to use only. You can use them when they say you can...but if they haven't, don't...they'll answer you themselves.

• No constant fighting. We want stories behind our RPs...constant fighting can ruin it.

• No unstopable characters. Make it so your character has weaknesses as well as strengths. Everyone has gotta lose battles sometimes.

• Be as realistic as you can please.

• Jokes between characters are ok...but try to keep a serious tone to it too. Don't make it all goofy like. Like don't make fun of the Matrix within your post ("I know Kung Fu")

• Try and keep all posts clean. Cursing and Swearing are allowed sometimes...but don't overuse it. Sex should be reffered to, but not described. Blood and Guts are gonna happen so thats not too bad.

• A description of your character is required, you can find out more here

• There is a character limit for people new to the role playing. 3 main (registered and used often) characters is more than enough, and any others will not be allowed until 3 1/2 months have been spent by you role playing at this site.

• This rule appears to be obvious, but apparently some writers are having a time with this concept. So, I'll make it official: IF YOU DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT THE WORLD OF STAR WARS, NO ROLE PLAYING IS ALLOWED. It is coming to the attention of this administrator that there are those out there who are ignoring posts made reflecting items, ships, etc. already well-established in the Star Wars Universe. (Gravity well generators, for example.) So please, read up on Star Wars. Ask the admin. BUT NO ROLE PLAY until you have grasped something of the basics. It is too time consuming to have to defend every post made by a writer, as well as to keep on having to post descriptions people who understand SW already should know about.

• If you make a post, unless asked by an admin to majorly change or delete it, keep it posted as you wrote it. Confusion rises when posts "come and go." You may make minor changes, but otherwise keep as written, especially if it has been replied to. This also helps remind posters to think before they post.

The RP takes place after every film, and somewhat in accordance with the earlier books. But since not everyone has read the books, we try not to refer to them, or anything that one would only know having read a particular book. Your best bet in learning what's going on in the galaxy is by reading the Synopsis.

Questions? PM Graysith, Mara1Jade, or Patternghost.

[ 11-09-2005 01:46 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 172.147.123.201
  • Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 02-02-2002 12:53 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
    In clarification of Rule #1: this means you cannot come in and answer a post to another person's character, FOR THAT CHARACTER. You can move and manipulate other characters; sheesh, otherwise all we'd have to react to is conversation! (BORING...!)

Remember: this is rpg: ROLE PLAYING. It is thus based primarily on reacting to circumstances happening, and circumstances quite often happening directly to one's character. If you're planning something, you'd better set up those circumstances as best you can before someone else comes along and alters things! Hehehe... thus is revealed half the fun of RPG: the element of surprise.

Oh yeah, no killing of another's active character without express permission... like you're gonna get that, HAH!

[ 02-02-2002 12:55 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.205.53
    Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 07-01-2002 10:29 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
    Rules revised July 1, 2002. New rules or revised rules are in bold.

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 172.134.60.235
    Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 08-08-2002 12:46 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
    Ok, rule #8 has been questioned. IN CLARIFICATION:

What this rule means is that NO MORE THAN THREE REGISTERED CHARACTERS ARE TO BE CREATED BY A NEW WRITER UNTIL THAT WRITER SHOWS UNDERSTANDING OF THE RULES AND PROCEDURES HERE. This is for the benefit of the other players (so no one's characters will be left "hanging," for example, as a "new" character disappears or stops in mid-thread or something along the line.) This rule applies to TOTAL number of characters from the first arrival of the writer at the Escape Pod. Sorry, you cannot kill off one character to create another, in order to remain within the "3-character parameter." One has to wait the specified time, and in that time show interest in joining role play, before any other characters can be made by him or her.

(The admin wishes to extend its apologies to those who may have been befuddled by the seeming vagueness of the rule as it is presented above.)

[ 08-08-2002 12:52 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.206.179
    Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 08-15-2002 08:06 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
    Rule Number 8 has been ditched. Run Wild.

And I reserve the right to kill characters at will.

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 12.220.189.75
    SeanHortkron

Pilot of Unknown Past

Member # 279

posted 08-15-2002 08:32 PM     Profile for SeanHortkron   Author's Homepage   Email SeanHortkron     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
    Are you kidding or what?

--------------------

The Power of crave can overwhelm the strenght of pride.

Posts: 94 | From: Irutula | Registered: Jul 2002  |  Logged: 12.213.76.134
    Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 08-15-2002 08:59 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
    YES he is kidding about killing characters. But though Rule 8 has been removed, it is still HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that posters develop up to THREE characters and use them, before creating new ones hand over fist.

Get the hang of things first.

[ 08-15-2002 08:59 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.197.182
    Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 08-15-2002 09:05 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
    No, I'm not kidding, about any of it.

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 12.220.189.75
    LumbiaSith

Padawan

Member # 250

posted 04-25-2003 10:40 PM     Profile for LumbiaSith   Author's Homepage   Email LumbiaSith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
    Well could someone tell me more about the setting here?

Does it take place around 10 years or so into the New Jedi Era, or even further deep?

--------------------

"I am here to redeem myself. See, The Fate of the universe lies in my hands! I will take up the challenge!"

-Lumbia Whitfield

Posts: 1143 | From: In space... | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 12.213.76.134
    Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 04-26-2003 02:15 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
    I believe somewhere waaaaay back there was a timeline which placed us at an unspecified time in the future from any current Star Wars book. This is after the New Jedi Order series; all the Solo and Skywalker kith and kin are gone now.

Anything in the Star Wars books (certain heroes or villains, special events and such) are referred to in the past tense, if it or they were notable.

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.188.199
    LumbiaSith

Padawan

Member # 250

posted 04-26-2003 02:41 AM     Profile for LumbiaSith   Author's Homepage   Email LumbiaSith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
    I'm really trying and I can't find it.. Hmmm, wonder what happened to it.

--------------------

"I am here to redeem myself. See, The Fate of the universe lies in my hands! I will take up the challenge!"

-Lumbia Whitfield

Posts: 1143 | From: In space... | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 12.213.76.134
    Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 04-26-2003 10:39 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
    The timeline itself may have gotten lost. A couple years ago we were down for a couple months (server switch or some such) and some threads never made it here.

Just take my word that the time is AFTER the current books: current popular characters/heroes/villains/etc. are no more.

This is so anyone with a general knowledge of Star Wars can role play; otherwise we would all have to read all the books and such. Our universe is "Star Wars" in that we have Jedi and the same planets and super star destroyers and so on.

It is just in the future; the actual date really does not matter.

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 64.12.96.79
    LumbiaSith

Padawan

Member # 250

posted 04-26-2003 12:27 PM     Profile for LumbiaSith   Author's Homepage   Email LumbiaSith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
    Yah, I just wanted to get a clear understanding. I was confused because I remember seeing something about the Timeline and now it suddenly vanish when I tried to look it up.

--------------------

-Lumbia Whitfield

Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 12-30-2010 12:02 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
    OK, TO FURTHER CLARIFY: the meaning of "killing a character..." The killing of a character results in that character being kaput, dead, gone, unable to be utilized any longer in any way shape, or form. It is out of play forever. Obviously, we have places in the forums that are a bit of a "slippery slope" when it comes to such things; as long as the character is not "killed" to where it can no longer be used, the purported killing is allowed. I am referring, of course, to happenings in the Darker Realms, where life and death are, well... not what one would think they are.

SO, long story short: a character cannot be faced with such circumstances as written by another character that said (first) character cannot reply and thus would be ommitted from RPG for perpetuity.

I hope this clarifies things.

[ 12-30-2010 12:07 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.116.197

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    De-Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
    Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05