my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
»  The Holonet Boards   » Role Playing   » Complete Star Wars Universe   » When it Rains, It Pours (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Printable Version
Author Topic: When it Rains, It Pours
Erik Kartan

Corellian Info Smuggler and Pilot

Member # 129

posted 09-22-2009 09:03 PM     Profile for Erik Kartan   Author's Homepage   Email Erik Kartan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
(((OCC: Erik enters from Where Will You Go in this same forum.)))

Erik gazed distantly at the navboard, the seconds to arrival passing in slow motion. His plan, still losely formed, grew more and more absurd to him with each passing moment. Even so, he didn't feel like there was any other choice. He had long since decided against the Empire and its ways regardless of any reform they had made, and he wasn't about to trust anything Sith, not anymore. And quite honestly, that didn't leave him with any where else to turn, really.

Except back to oneself. And after all, wasn't that exactly what an information smuggler should do? Seek out information, place it in the hands of those who might be willing to pay large sums for it...

...not trusting them to use anything you've got for one side or another as long as it pays.

The only trouble with that particular approach was, however, that you still had to make some judgement calls. Which made having an angle of your own particularly helpful.

And that he most certainly did have.

As Erik took the final sip of a mug of caf he had been nursing, his proximity indicators began blaring, announcing imment reversion to realspace. After placing the mug on the copilot's seat, Erik leaned forwared and busied himself with tending to the navboard...

...and wondered if the Kaminoans would be willing to trade off with him for the information he had concerning those who had no doubt forced them into servitude not so long ago.

[ 09-22-2009 09:05 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Erik Kartan ]

--------------------

Hey! Where's my A-wing?!
My heart is broken....sweet sleep my Dark Angel... Evanescence, "My Heart is Broken"

Posts: 447 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: Aug 2001  |  Logged: 76.122.52.178
Erik Kartan

Member # 129

posted 09-22-2009 09:50 PM     Profile for Erik Kartan   Author's Homepage   Email Erik Kartan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
After setting the ship to rest in a rainy stilt city on Kamino, Erik took a deep breath, stood, and donned a brown robe he'd found in the back of the ship during his travel. He took another moment to ensure his lightsaber was properly secured on his weapons belt, as well as the blaster he'd also appropriated during his investigation of the ship he intended to actually pay for...

...at some point, anyway. Taking a final glance at the navboard to make certain everything was on standby, he opened the ship's hatch, departed the ship entirely, and secured the hatch with the new lock code he had programmed during travel as well. Pulling the hood of the robe over his head--as if it were going to do any good in the pouring rain--Erik headed for the nearest dome in his line of sight, which was approximately 300 meters ahead. He moved along with purpose, hoping to the fates that what he was about to begin would prove fruitful...

...and give him something that owuld set him apart from any other information smuggler in the business...

...and give him a valuable bargaining chip for future use. At length, he finally reached the opening of the dome and headed inside. No sooner had he entered and paused briefly ot shake some of the water off his robe when he was approached by the slender, graceful greeter of the city.

"Greetings," she said simply, in a smooth and somehow elegant voice. "WElcome to Kamino. How may we assist you?"

Erik pulled the hood of the robe from his head, ignoring the water which in turn ran down his back as he did so.

"I come seeking truth and justice, for you as well as for many others," Erik stated, surprised by his reply as if he were just realizing it...

...and perhaps he was at that. "You were long ago employed by the Old Republic which later turned into an Empire and supposedly were paid...

...which may be true, although I question that very much. You have been used by others, have gained much knowledge and expertise in your field...

...and not so long ago were forced into servitude to not clone, but advance the ages of children of a race unknown. For that job I doubt you were paid, and I know that you lost at least an entire laboratory at the hands of a powerful, red-skinned being by the name of Ankrist Roan."

Erik paused, and found himself unable to read the look in the Kaminoan's eyes. So he pressed on. "I have seen the remnants of that laboratory, destroyed, on a planet in a system which was once blockaded by the New Empire. I know you are a peace-loving peoples...

...but I would think you have to wonder just what became of those among you who disappeared in that laboratory. I know the coordinates of the planet your people and their lab was taken to and destroyed...

...and I would be willing to give you them in exchange for a single thing. You advanced the age of one child with red skin and horns, and another with horns and bi-colored eyes. As you are scientists and must have been interested in the nature of this species, you musst have extracted some DNA from at least one of those children. If you can give me a sample of the DNA from either of those specimens, I can give you the name of their race and the coordinates of the planets that they came from, the very same one where your laboratory and people were destroyed."

Erik quieted again, pursing his lips as he considered mentioning somethiung further. "I know there are those of you who had some knowlege of this race's coming via one called Tyberius, and in turn tried to help him do everything to stop the return of the race. I know this sect was probably a small amount of your people, but you must consider just how those of your own were treated by Anrkist Roan as he used you and your expertise to meet his own ends. You can stand silently by and guard his secrets...

...or you can use that scientific knowledge of yours to gain some retribution for the many lives--and not just your own--that he destroyed."

[ 09-22-2009 09:53 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Erik Kartan ]

--------------------

Hey! Where's my A-wing?!
My heart is broken....sweet sleep my Dark Angel... Evanescence, "My Heart is Broken"

Posts: 447 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: Aug 2001  |  Logged: 76.122.52.178
Erik Kartan

Member # 129

posted 10-03-2009 10:34 PM     Profile for Erik Kartan   Author's Homepage   Email Erik Kartan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
The look in the greeter's eyes was actually quite unreadable, considering what Erik at least thought he had revealed. As the seconds ticked by in silence and stretched towards a minute, he was beginning to wonder if he had wasted his time coming out to the water-logged world at all. But finally, the greeter spoke.

"I have no knowledge of this Ankrist Roan of whom you speak," she replied almost flatly. "However, there are many cities with laboratories here. If it is as important as you imply, then I can send a message to the other cities. Perhaps someone will have knowledge of that which you speak."

She paused then, and Erik debated the wisdom in taking her up on her offer. Letting her inquire with other cities regarding Roan might stir up some connections...

...but doing so might also leave a trail to follow. But then again, Erik wasn't even sure how likely it would be that anyone would predict he would come to Kamino in time to trace the message. And Kamino was so far out that anyone stumbling on the message was unlikely.

Erik was about to ask her to please do as she had suggested when she continued with, "I [do know of this Tyberius you mentioned, however, and of his prophecies. If you wish to know more of him, I can direct you to those who believe in...such things."

She quieted a moment then, her look unreadable. "You will have to go there on your own however." Her voice lowered noticeably. "They are not like the rest of us."

Erik arched an eyebrow, but then nodded. "If you could do that, I would appreciate it. I would also like for you to send out a message regarding what I have told you about Ankrist Roan as well."

The greeter nodded, almost seeming disappointed. Her next words confirmed as much. "Is that all we can do for you, Mr..." She trailed, obviously seeking his name.

"Erik Kartan, owner of Stargazer Corporation," he replied. "And as a matter of fact, perhaps there is..."

--------------------

Hey! Where's my A-wing?!

Erik Kartan

Member # 129

posted 10-26-2009 10:11 PM     Profile for Erik Kartan   Author's Homepage   Email Erik Kartan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
The wait wasn't that long, really. But to Erik it seemed like ages. Again he was questioning exactly what he was doing...

...and in the forefront of his mind, all he could tell himself was that he was just conducting good business. Or at least, he hoped that was what he was doing. Still, he knew deep down that wasn't even the half of it.

"Mr. Kartan?" the Kaminoan greeter purred, jerking him from his inward thoughts. "Your request will take some time to process...

...properly. However, we do require payment up front."

Erik's brown eyes darkened at her announcement, his thoughts going to an old wound.

It certainly hadn't taken long for some ...

"Very well," he responded instead, a bit tersely. In only a few minutes, he had exchanged the credits for his requested service, somehow knowing that this would mean someone could find him based on this transaction...

...and discovering with some surprise that he really didn't care.

"The others you spoke of?" he then prompted after the transaction was complete.

"Yes," she responded, albeit distastefully. "If you will follow me."

Erik began to follow the Greeter, and never saw the other behind him...

Without the Force, Erik never knew the blow was coming. So when he awoke in a heap on a cold metallic surface, he was totally unprepared for anything that would follow. Disregarding the throubbing in his head, he scrambled to his knees and jerked his head up, his eyes blinded by bright light. He blinked several times, trying to adjust, sensing that his lightsaber had been removed from his belt simply by the change in its weight on his hips. The fact that he was otherwise unbound did give him some reassurance, but not all that much really...

...especially not considering that he was also becoming acutely aware of a circle of tall, alnky beings surrounding him, heavy belts laden with weapons on them despite the fact they appeared to be Kaminoan. And suddenly, the one immediately in front of him stepped forward.

"You have been here before, Jedi," he purred, holding out Erik's lightsaber. "You were here with the Stargazer...

...and now you have returned with her son, as Tyberius predicted."

An upwelling of anger helped Erik get completely on his feet. "What should that matter to him, he tried to kill him too."

The Kaminoan, who was shorter than most, actually arched a brow. "He did?" he queried. "Or did he? The Stargazer and her Teacher could be our salvation...

...or they could very well be the ending of us all."

Erik struggled to stay focused. "How can they matter now, since all power has been removed?"

The Kaminoan blinked. "Power has little to do with it all in the end...

...at least, regarding the power that you speak of. Why did you seek us to begin with?"

Erik pinned the Kaminoan's eyes with his own. "Your kind was forced into servitude by those called the Sith, and you certainly have a sample of their DNA code by now, if not from your servitude then from Tyberius, who believed the Sith should never return. While I don't beleve he had the most honorable intentions, I am beginning to agree with him regarding them...

...and I want that code."

The other cocked his head slightly. "And what will you do with it?"

Erik opened his mouth...

...then slammed it closed, realizing with great disgust that he really didn't know.

"That's what I thought," the Kaminoan responded blandly. "I suggest you take this instead," he then said, removing a small box from his belt and handing it to Erik. "To the Guild World it should go, where one will know what should be done with it."

"What is it?" Erik asked suspiciously.

"Some have called it Magroo, though whether or not it is the original or not doesn't really matter. Take it, and your weapon, and go to the Guild Worlds," the Kaminoan said, handing Erik his lightsaber. "After all, our technicians know that this was your chosen destination already," he said with an almost eerie smile...

...and in another unseen moment the universe around him again went black...

--------------------

Hey! Where's my A-wing?!

Erik Kartan

Member # 129

posted 12-12-2009 01:38 PM     Profile for Erik Kartan   Author's Homepage   Email Erik Kartan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
When Erik came to for the second time, he immediately realized that he wouldn't be in any condition to fly for some time. He was alert enough to know he was back on his ship and in the navigational chair, but drowsy and disoriented enough that he really couldn't move.

Definitely drugged, he thought, blearily keying in just enough commands into the navboard to call up his destination, for he was keenly aware that hyperspace spanned out before him in his viewscreen. And that did little towards appeasing his reeling head, either. As he pulled up his destination, he really was not surprised to find that he was headed to the Guild World, as he had planned and the Kaminoan had observed. Clearly, the Kaminoan wanted to ensure that he didn't change his mind about his destination by drugging him...

...and wanted him to know where he was going by leaving him at navigation before sending him on his way. Erik scowled, his eyes heavy, his heart angered that once again, someone else seemed to be calling the shots. Still, the mystery of the Magroo had him ingtrigued...

...as did the note tacked onto the box. It sat on his navboard tauntingly, further inspiring his curiosity as well as his anger with his current circumstances. Even though his vision was swimming and his head was throbbing, Erik made out the words on the note:

Find either the one called Seus, or Sorben Tarnus. Only they will know how to utilize Magroo to save us all.

Erik had two final thoughts before falling unconcious: Clearly the Kaminoans didn't know what giving the Magroo, if it was as powerful as implied, to Tarnus might do to the universe either. And he had never heard the name Seus in his life...

[ 02-08-2010 11:53 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

Hey! Where's my A-wing?!

Posts: 447 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: Aug 2001  |  Logged: 76.122.53.74
Erik Kartan

Member # 129

posted 12-29-2009 12:16 PM     Profile for Erik Kartan   Author's Homepage   Email Erik Kartan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
(((OCC: Erik is reverting to realspace near the Guild World, but I am going to leave him in this thread since he is the only one in here anyway and I see no real need to open ANOTHER thread in the same forum. Let me know if this will be too confusing and I should create a new thread.)))

Erik scowled at the comm unit on his navboard as if the person across the frequency could actually see him. He had reverted to realspace near the Guild Worlds not long ago, and he was starting to get the feeling he might have wasted a trip.

"I'm trying to reach someone by the name of Seus," he reiterated, annoyed. "I'm not sure where he is, but I assume he is here--or someone here knows where he is--since I was sent here to find him."

On second thought, Erik had to admit he wasn't all that surprised anyone on the Guild World was responding to his unannounced entrance near their world in such a manner. The person on the other end said nothing for a long moment. "There is no one by the name of Seus in our records," came the next terse response. "You are not permitted to land on this world and are requested to leave the area immediately."

Erik sighed and ran a disgusted hand across his face, frustrated.
After all of this he was going to come up with nothing. Absolutely nothing.

But then another idea came to mind. "I think this Seus might have known Sorben Tarnus, who was once a member of your Guild," he then said into the comm unit. "I was sent here in reference to a device called the Kym Magroo, which I was told either Seus or Tarnus would know how to use."

Erik paused, debating upon whether or not he should say what he was thinking of before doing so. Then he was reminded of the fact that he was communicating across a secure frequency, although it had not escaped his attention that whoever he was speaking with had been able to tap his encryption code to respond.

What the hell, at this rate if he didn't say something of possible interest he wasn't going to get anywhere with this anyway.

"I have the device with me."

[ 02-08-2010 11:55 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

Hey! Where's my A-wing?!

Posts: 447 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: Aug 2001  |  Logged: 76.122.53.74
Galen

Free Spirit

Member # 28

posted 02-08-2010 12:24 PM     Profile for Galen   Author's Homepage   Email Galen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
((OOC: Coming in from Where Will You Go? in the "CSWU" forums, thank you.))

Seus, this is Galen. Long time no speak. I trust you remember me through a particular individual of our mutual acquaintance. I feel this person might be into something a touch wee over even his helmeted head, and am requiring your assistance in the matter.

Please respond to this frequency; I have set up an automatic scrambler to squelch your reply. Point of origin cannot be traced except by someone having that frequency to begin with. This is a two-way electronic street, as you know.

I hope to hear from you, and if I might be so bold to add it, asap.

Galen out.

--------------------

"Sure as there is Treasure on Roon...."

Posts: 1455 | From: | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 64.12.116.197
Seus Sh'tan

Member # 945

posted 02-08-2010 02:54 PM     Profile for Seus Sh'tan   Author's Homepage   Email Seus Sh'tan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
((OOC: Seus officially enters role play here, thank you.))

Life had been progressing for Seus in the manner it had maintained over the last 30 years: at a steadily busy but not overwhelming pace. It seemed there was always somebody out there somewhere who wanted another someone captured or killed; who was Seus to question the morality of it. One man's garbage was another man's credits, and he was in the field he had occupied for most of his life for the same reason as any of the other bounty hunters:

For the credits.

Except maybe Tarnus; now there was a man who marched to a different drum.

Sorben was one who had taken Seus by complete surprise. Not only did the youngster end up actually surpassing himself with his 100% field record, but as Seus soon learned there was far more between Sorben's virtual bookcovers than a simple story of bang-bang-shoot-to-kill. The man was the only hunter Seus had ever known who had been able to give himself to a woman -- that just didn't happen! -- and when said woman up and left him went back to become not just the original Sorben, but something bigger, something better.

It still rankled, though, that he had lost his best bounty hunter to the damned Impys.

He sighed a little, dropped the assignment list he had been perusing, and rubbed his eyes.

I'm getting old, he thought to himself. I like my position, but even it's beginning to get... old. And when that happens...

His momentary weariness was suddenly burst asunder by two almost simultaneously occuring events: a stranger was at his doorstep bringing talk with him about, of all things, the Magroo Device...

...and here was an out-of-the-blue message from, of all people, Galen Jhin'dar. Or was it Tarnus? Seus prided himself on his ability to keep up with who's who in the galaxy... but it was an awfully big galaxy, after all. He never did know if the two had ever actually married after receiving the $20K he had handed them, only that something had happened that sent Sorben out upon a death-cold field hunt with his mouth shut tighter than a rancor trap.

Something told him they never had officially tied the knot. But there was something about a child--?

He shook his head, straightened in his seat.

"Send this... gentleman... to my office," he replied to the image on the screen, who nodded and signed off.

Seus sat back, pondering the surprising message still scrolling across a second screen.

Sorben, in trouble? Impossible. That was like saying the sun had quit shining; but then--

Stars did sometimes go supernovae, didn't they? And if anyone would end a perfect career with a flare of monstrous proportions, it would be Sorben...

He addressed the issue of waiting until his business with the stranger was finished, then decided against it. If something was really wrong, it wouldn't be fair to Sorben to put off so much as a minute. Thus he leaned into the screen, spoke into a 'phone, and watched as his returning words scrolled below Galen's:

"Galen my dear, what a surprise. How... wonderful to find you well; you must come here some time so we can catch up on old times..."

Like the whispered rumors he'd heard of something mysterious occurring out in the Unknown Regions, out somewhere where the fabled Korriban was supposed to be, that and other worlds and a fierce race of unknown beings with powers so marvelous there was nothing in the Galaxy to stand up against them; beings who made the old nemeses Darth Desolist and Darth Wicked seem to be merely naughty little boys. Beings whose name he had heard linked a couple of times to a being called Graysith... who he knew personally to be Galen's sister.

He didn't let one whit of a pause reveal his thoughts over the ether, but taking a natural breath continued.

"What assistance can I render, my dear?"

[ 03-04-2010 10:37 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Seus Sh'tan ]

--------------------

Who's to say who's right and who's wrong? I'm just in it for the credits.

Posts: 32 | From: Guild World | Registered: Feb 2010  |  Logged: 64.12.116.197
Erik Kartan

Member # 129

posted 02-08-2010 09:56 PM     Profile for Erik Kartan   Author's Homepage   Email Erik Kartan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Erik was ready to throw in the towel multiple times before remembering that, after all this, he really didn't have any more options.

Except heading back to Stargazer crop empty handed, a shoulder devil snorted, something even blacker following somewhere in the depths of Erik's mind.You might as well tough it out and see if they ever reply or just blow you and your ship into oblivion for being a nuisiance.

Erik was about to send yet another message when his comm board lit up. He flipped the accept button, expecting another refusal...

...or worse. He was well more than a bit surprised to instead receive landing clearance. Force or not, every cell in his body screamed in warning...

...but he'd come this far, and part of the thrill of information smuggling was the thrill of the hunt. And he did have some intresting information to produce in exchange for the information he wanted. So he headed down to atmosphere, not surprised that he was joined by escort ships who then guided him down to a particular landing pad within a large docking area. Erik landed, cooled the engines of his acquired ship...

...and took a deep breath, getting to his feet and heading towards the hatch. He wasn't sure what he was getting himself into, but he sure hoped this would all pay off...

...and he would get some vengance for his son's death, and so much more...

Erik stopped short in front of the hatch door, surprised at the ease in which this thought was created. With effort, he shook himself, cleared his mind of all such thoughts, and slapped the hatch release.

--------------------

Hey! Where's my A-wing?!

Galen

Free Spirit

Member # 28

posted 03-04-2010 10:17 AM     Profile for Galen   Author's Homepage   Email Galen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
((OOC: Coming in from Where Will You Go? in the "CSWU" forums, thank you.))

"It is good to find you well too.

"Regarding said individual mentioned earlier; I am currently engaged in -- "

A slight pause.

"--hunting for him. He has been missing for some time now. My companions and I are trying to determine what has happened to him; meanwhile, we have a jedi who has gone rogue on us, one who is most likely planning on doing everything in his power to stop us, or at least use diversion tactics to delay us in our progress.

"As a personal favor, and for old time's sake, would you set a Hunter out after this guy? We don't want him hit, just... detained. His name is Erik Kartan, and his last known location was--"

A string of coordinates flashed across the receiving monitor.

"We're not certain where he has gone off too, exactly, but it shouldn't be too difficult for your men to find him. Here's the ship he was in, the last we knew...."

Now a list of detailed specs regarding Erik's purloined vessel.

"Seus, this would go a long way toward helping us locate our mutual acquaintance. I would seriously owe you one--"

"--and we can pay you--"

A longer pause.

"Anything you want.

"Over."

[ 03-04-2010 10:23 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Galen ]

--------------------

"Sure as there is Treasure on Roon...."

Posts: 1455 | From: | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.116.197
Seus Sh'tan

Member # 945

posted 03-04-2010 10:58 AM     Profile for Seus Sh'tan   Author's Homepage   Email Seus Sh'tan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Seus leaned back in his chair, his armor creaking against the rich nerfhide as he thought about what Galen was saying. The little issue of a rogue jedi was insignificant in his eye, the Guild World, after all, having no great love for jedi, be they rogues or not.

But what she was saying between the lines...

Now, that's what really peaked his interest.

A little smile lifted one corner of his otherwise grimly set lips.

"My dear, consider it done. And as for payment..."

It was now his turn to pause, the little smile vanishing from his features.

"I will send a bill when you are duly satisfied with our performance in this matter. I trust I can send a return message to this same frequency?"

The question was merely rhetorical; he knew damned well that this frequency was the only one Galen could expect a return from him. If she wanted to know anything--

--such as, oh... the health status of said rogue jedi--

--she'd better be hovering over that frequency like a dianoga ready to strike. She was, after all, the one playing the chase, not he or his men.

"Good," he continued smoothly on, not letting a whisper of his thoughts show in any way, shape or form.

"You can expect to hear from us sometime in the near future."

Damn skippy; his men were good.

"Good-by, my dear. I look forward to our future chat.

"Out."

Sending his reply on its way, Seus paused a moment to decide upon the best chain of action in this little matter. There were several different hunters he was considering for the job, and he was as well toying with the idea of retaining a spy to assist in locating this jedi.

But that would wait, just a moment longer. He had other business to attend to.

Rising from his seat he fetched himself a cup of caf and a Boonta bun. Settling back in his chair he gave himself a small moment to savor his snack while he waited for the arrival of the stranger who claimed to have device of the long-dead Khym Magroo.

Which was odd, considering it had been used, to destroy Ploatius. Now who in all the galaxy would have the knowledge to create another?

He licked a crumb from his lips and took a delicate sip, but the flavors he had seconds ago found quite appetizing were suddenly now strangely flat. His eyes hardening to steel, he set the foodstuffs down upon his desk, folded his hands atop it, and waited.

((OOC: Message goes to Where Will You Go? in the "CSWU" forums, thank you.))

[ 03-04-2010 11:02 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Seus Sh'tan ]

--------------------

Posts: 32 | From: Guild World | Registered: Feb 2010  |  Logged: 205.188.116.197
Erik Kartan

Member # 129

posted 05-24-2010 09:49 PM     Profile for Erik Kartan   Author's Homepage   Email Erik Kartan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
AFter placing the Kym Magroo in a safe hiding place under lock along with the lightsaber he had reclaimed back on Corellia, Erik affixed his blaster to his weapons belt. When he popped the hatch, he wasn't surprised to be met by what could no doubt be a small group of guards. He exited the ship, closing the hatch and locking it behind him, and nodded to the one in the group who appeared to be in the lead. The man looked at him guardedly, giving him a brief once-over and pausing an extra moment to look at the weapon attached to Erik's belt.

Then with a terse, "Follow me," the man turned as the others formed up around Erik and began to lead Erik into a building where he was--not to his surprise--relieved of his blaster before he was ushered into a large, well-furnished office where a man sat behind a desk, his eyes intense as he regarded him.

Erik took a deep breath. "My name is Captain Erik Kartan, owner of Stargazer Coorporation, and I think I have some information regarding the Sith ...

...as well as an item...

...that may be of inerest to you."

--------------------

Hey! Where's my A-wing?!

Seus Sh'tan

Member # 945

posted 05-26-2010 12:04 PM     Profile for Seus Sh'tan   Author's Homepage   Email Seus Sh'tan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Well, would wonders never cease...

The Guild Boss relaxed in his chair as the jedi entered, and eyed him with a carefully maintained attitude of interested curiosity. But deep down he was shaking his head at the sheer coincidence of the last few moments of his otherwise normal life.

Ask and ye shall receive...

Only he hadn't asked. He hadn't even had much time to consider just who to send out on the latest Hunt, and where; in fact, he'd scarcely had the time to truly assimilate the fact that something was amiss out there in the great, grand Galaxy, and even though he had no clue as to the truth of it he couldn't help but wonder if the miraculously resurrected Kym Magroo device wouldn't end up playing a major role in rectifying matters.

Of course he could be over-reacting, but Seus wasn't a man much inclined to theatrics. One didn't become Da Boss of the entire Bounty Hunter Guild and all its various worlds and subsidiaries by being a knee-jerk reactionary; thus he knew deep in his gut that it was a deeply buried offshoot of logic, the unconscious variety which kept a quiet eye on events, stashed them away in the subconscious... and snagged them back again when just enough incoming data fit together to create Something Unusual. Some would call this a hunch, others not; he only knew of one other individual who ever had this innate ability, and that was that lil spitfire gal of Sorben's...

All this rushed through him in a nanosecond, some of it being conscious analysis, much of it not. But through it all he maintained his careful attitude of interest. Rising halfway from his seat, he nodded to Erik and waved a hand toward a nearby chair.

"Be comfortable, please," he said as he sat down again. He let another moment or two tick past while he scrutinized the man in front of him.

So this is the one Galen needs detained, the "rogue jedi..." While in his own estimations Erik appeared to be anything but, in fact seemed to be carrying a breath of urgency about him, he knew better than to judge a book by its cover. The man was reported to be a jedi after all; he knew he would have to tread very carefully in order to fulfill the Hunt requested of him by Galen Jhin'dar.

Breaking the silence so as to put the man more at ease, he went on, "I must say that I find your statement of possessing a device known as Kym Magroo to be intriguing at the very least. These are few and far between, to my knowledge.

"May I ask how it is you managed to procure one, as well as why you have approached me with it?"

One of the Golden Rules of The Hunt: gather intelligence, all the intelligence necessary to make that hunt successful. Although a modicum of delicacy was in order, he knew he basically already had Erik by the tail. In fact his men had by now more than likely managed to hack their way aboard his ship, and were checking things out. While more than likely it wouldn't be too troublesome from this point to detain the purported rogue jedi, now was the time to gather information. One never knew what would prove useful on down the galactic road.

[ 05-26-2010 12:08 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Seus Sh'tan ]

--------------------

Posts: 32 | From: Guild World | Registered: Feb 2010  |  Logged: 205.188.116.197
Erik Kartan

Member # 129

posted 06-12-2010 10:05 AM     Profile for Erik Kartan   Author's Homepage   Email Erik Kartan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Erik sighed a bit, taking the seat Seus had offered. "I came upon the Magroo while I was searching for some answers of my own regarding these Sith."

He paused, the look in his brown eyes deepening as he considered what would be a healthy balance of information to tell and to keep safely unspoken. "Your name was given as one of two who knows how to use the device."

Erik paused, again debating on just how much to say. "Information smuggling is my trade, and circumstances I have been in the past few years have lead me to information that the large majority of the galaxy has no knowledge of." He quieted a moment. "There are Sith out there once more, and they are more than the Dark Jedi of old...

...and the Magroo may be the only way of stopping them."

--------------------

Hey! Where's my A-wing?!

The All

Member # 144

posted 06-14-2010 11:19 AM     Profile for The All   Author's Homepage   Email The All     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
((OOC: Cross-over from Where Will You Go? in the "CSWU" forums, thank you.))

That which some have come to think of as Which Was reared its wonderful one-ness back into the omnipotent non-ness of what it was/wasn't; cradled its quite unique non-ness into the accepting arms of the all-encompassing one-ness and let go a little, virtual smile. It took a look about its non-self, taking in the grandeur of ALL there was, the ALL of which some little portions of it were now being allowed to awaken to the fact that their gradually progressing perceptions of it were on the right track.

There was a time Man thought HE was the center of it all. In response to that silliness time was given; Man then thought his little celestial body was. Then his little stellar; oh, such wonderful beings those stellars. Perhaps one day their language would finally be deciphered by the other pieces at play.

He/she/it shook a figurative head, smiled more smugly at the Progression Of Things, which albeit slow was at least on an accurate track.

One day those little motes awoke to the fact that there was more, oh indeed quite more; their tunneled little view expanded its paradigms and took a leap of faith.

Stellars existed, vast quantities of them in wonderful pin-wheeling units. At first only each individual one was recognized by the motes inhabiting it, but slowly, bit by bit, in a manner yet evolving, each little bit grew cognizant of the fact that there were more, there were hundreds, millions, billions of those units, each in turn encompassing billions of stellar brothers.

That the stellars were the true Life of the Universe was not yet understood by the little motes dwelling in the All-ness; it was enough that they now looked out toward a universe with tiny eyes that were gradually opening in recognition of the fact that perhaps the better term was in fact Universes...

"Hey, unfair move! That's partiality!" The cry from him/her/itself came from behind him/her/itself.

That-Which-Was took up some stuff of what is, coalesed it into the brilliant ultraviolet-and-chrome Eyes of which he/she/it had become quite fond, and cast them behind his/her/itself.

A figurative sigh was heaved.

"We hoped we wouldn't have noticed..." it non-said, then muttered in further rejoinder, "But a fair move had been made."

Nothing back but a snort; he/she/it sighed, and then waved a figurative hand.

The fabric of Stuff which wove together existence of both forms, be it living or non, rippled, gathered into an immensely tiny little bunch, and exploded outward in the virtual equivalent of a Big Bang.

Here and there certain motes began waking up, some in surprise, some with regret, but one by one those certain few began to wake up as if from a deep slumber.

The Other still wasn't satisfied. "We're not just giving it away!" it protested, the non-words loud and born in total effrontery.

That-Which-Was merely snorted.

"Of course not. Balance must be maintained; it must always be maintained. We know that, and some of us still know it at different degrees, at different levels than others.

"We'll see now..."

The Other muttered beneath its non-breath. "We still think you're making up the Rules as you go along! But we'll wait.

"Now let us think..."

--------------------

I am beyond the Light and the Dark... joining them in unity I make them a greater sum than their parts. I am the warp and woof of existence, the commander of time and the very fabric of all that is...

Posts: 64 | From: | Registered: Dec 2001  |  Logged: 64.12.116.197
Erik Kartan

Member # 129

posted 08-13-2010 06:04 PM     Profile for Erik Kartan   Author's Homepage   Email Erik Kartan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Seconds ticked by as Seus seemed to regard Erik calmly, thoughtfully. He had no immediate reply, however.

"Then again, maybe this Magroo isn't what my source claims it is," he finally admitted, still not divulging where he had picked up the device. "But regardless of whether it is or not, the Sith are out there and pose a serious threat to the rest of the galaxy. They have these weird, extraordinary powers and abilities, far greater than the the Jedi's Force...

...and don't care one whit for humans, or any other species for that matter.”

--------------------

Hey! Where's my A-wing?!

Seus Sh'tan

Member # 945

posted 08-18-2010 07:54 PM     Profile for Seus Sh'tan   Author's Homepage   Email Seus Sh'tan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Seus often took it upon himself to remain quiet in cases such as these rather than chit-chat away in pointless inquiry. For indeed, although he had every intention of discovering exactly everything this purported rogue jedi had to offer, he knew from experience that tempting people with beguiling words, asking direct questions, or assailing them with heated threats seldom led to anything but a stalemate. In the case of jedi, it was generally a little quicker in coming, but come it would.

And so he liked to remain quiet a bit, letting the individual in front of him stew awhile. Eventually something would be blurted out just to alleviate the silence; oftentimes it was much more than the individual had planned on divulging to begin with.

This Erik fellow now, he certainly seemed to be no exception, jedi or no. Already Seus had learned several important things: one, there appeared to be another Kym Magroo device in existence...

A device he knew of very well, although perhaps not how to work it. But well he remembered the fiasco on Ploatius with Sorben and Galen, trying to head off Darth Desolist and his crony, Gravin Dark, following along the trail it turned out they had deliberately laid down in order to trap them on that moon, only to then destroy it with the abovementioned Kym Magroo device...

Luckily Sorben and Galen had managed to escape if only by the skin of their combined teeth; he wasn't aware that the device had somehow managed to escape the conflagration unscathed. Therefore, if what this jedi was claiming, another one had been made.

By the Sith--? He knew Dark had finally been sent to his well-deserved hell, but as for Desolist, who knew where that vile being had hidden himself. And there had been quiet stories of the other darth who had crossed Sorben's path, Darth Wicked, and yet others rising up here and there, shadowy stories that hinted of evil coming down the galactic highway in new form, only to settle back into obscurity once again.

Only now this Erik Kartan was divulging yet more information: the fact that the Sith were indeed out there, and posed a dire threat to the galaxy. As always. Only...

What was that he said, something about the Sith weren't quite what he thought?

That certainly needed clarification, especially if they had managed to get the Kaminoans to make another Magroo device. Fates only knew what else they would have created for them.

"Perhaps you'd elucidate a bit for me?" he asked politely as he reached for a carafe sitting on one corner of his desk. Producing two cups seemingly from nowhere, he poured a heady blue liquid into one, and set it steaming down in front of himself. Pausing just before pouring again, he quirked a brow at Erik.

"Bakurian tea?" he asked politely.

[ 08-18-2010 07:56 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Seus Sh'tan ]

--------------------

Erik Kartan

Member # 129

posted 08-21-2010 03:52 PM     Profile for Erik Kartan   Author's Homepage   Email Erik Kartan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Erik pursed his lips for a moment, then nodded once in acceptance of Seus's offer for tea. As the other poured, Erik answered his final question.

"I would be glad to explain further, if perhaps you could grant me some information in exchange."

He paused, taking a sip of the tea as he did so. "You obviously have heard of this Kym Magroo, and my source seems to think it has some significant power."

Erik quieted a final moment, qurking his own brow. "What does it do?"

--------------------

Hey! Where's my A-wing?!

Seus Sh'tan

Member # 945

posted 08-21-2010 08:15 PM     Profile for Seus Sh'tan   Author's Homepage   Email Seus Sh'tan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Seus studied the man over his tea. Once again, in uttering that one simple query, Kartan had divulged to the Guild Boss far more than he probably suspected.

So, he is either trying to feel me out, to see how much I know... or he truly knows nothing about the Kym Magroo device.

Which only made Seus wonder further exactly why it was the man had come to him to begin with.

He has something in his possession that he suspects to be a weapon, but one he has no idea how to use. Somehow he has ferreted out my connection to Kym Magroo, as slender a thread as that might be, and has come to me for help. But with what?

Learning how to use it, or from the sounds of it, seeking alliance with us in that through us he can use it against these Sith he speaks of, the Sith who are not the same as they were of old.

Seus's eyes hooded just the slightest bit as he briefly pondered just what to reply. Then they cleared. After all, he had further questions of his own to ask; more flies are captured with sticky honey than are killed with a swatter, after all.

"Fair enough. It is an explosive device of enormous power, power enough to destroy a small world."

He took a genteel sip of his tea.

"How is it that you happen to have one in your possession?" he asked nicely enough. "I find it a bit odd that you know of it, that you claim to have one with you, but yet you do not know what it is, or what it can do."

"May I ask you to further elucidate, please, as well as tell me how you happened to come by the Kym Magroo? And why you came to me?"

[ 08-21-2010 08:18 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Seus Sh'tan ]

--------------------

Erik Kartan

Member # 129

posted 08-22-2010 09:08 PM     Profile for Erik Kartan   Author's Homepage   Email Erik Kartan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
"I was seeking alliances when I stumbled upon my source. This source both gave me the Magroo and directed me to you. That is either you, or one other, one who I know cannot be trusted."

Pausing, Erik shrugged. "Not a good idea to give a mysterious device that has destructive power to an Imperial considering their track record. As to why I was the one who was given the Magroo well..."

Erik trailed, his brown eyes darkening a bit. "...they knew I had latent Force abilities, and knew I had knowledge of the Sith."

...and they knew who your wife is... was...

--------------------

Hey! Where's my A-wing?!

Seus Sh'tan

Member # 945

posted 08-28-2010 09:35 AM     Profile for Seus Sh'tan   Author's Homepage   Email Seus Sh'tan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
The Hunter's eyes darkened the merest bit. Frankly, he had come to the conclusion that he knew all there was to know about this purportedly rogue jedi --

Albeit, with a weapon of the magnitude that he had in hand he indeed could be as dangerous as Galen was hinting.

Abruptly, he set down his tea, clasped his hands a leaned forward a bit.

"You come to me with this device, feeling me out about what it is. You seem to be hinting that you would like this Guild to ally with you, and apparently have the idea in your mind that we will bargain with you just for the sake of said device."

He paused a minute, letting his words sink in, giving Kartan a few moments to read between the lines before he went on.

"And with such an obvious desire, you still hedge. Mr. Kartan, you hurt me."

He sat back again, letting his eyes widen in faux pain, and once more reached for his tea. Moments crawled by, moments he let balloon into larger and larger ones while he merely sat taking quiet sips from his rapidly cooling cup. Whe the dregs of his tea had become quite tepid, he set it down again, and cleared his throat.

"I would prefer some honest answers, if you wish to gain our assistance," he stated in a tone that brooked no nonsense.

"Who gave you this device, and who exactly are these... these Sith against whom you so obviously wish to wage your personal little war?"

For personal it had to be. Seus' men had been all over this galaxy and back again, and he hadn't heard a whisper concerning anything of which this man was alluding. To Seus' way of thinking, Erik was either insane, deluded, or privy to knowledge the Bounty Hunter's Guild hadn't the slightest idea existed.

And that was a very dangerous thing indeed.

--------------------

Erik Kartan

Member # 129

posted 08-28-2010 10:09 AM     Profile for Erik Kartan   Author's Homepage   Email Erik Kartan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Although Erik wasn't usually one to use his Force abilities often, he very much wished he could at the moment, just to read the Hunter a bit more clearly. So, not expecting anything, Erik actually stretched out towards where his Force senses should have been...

...and was slammed with an upwelling of response that he wasn't expecting. His eyes widened despite his efforts to cover his surprise as he once more felt the Force in all its glory. Although he wasn't the best reader of feelings and emotions, Erik certainly could sense the suspicion and distrust radiating from Seus.

And in that moment, Erik Kartan knew it was time to make a choice. He didn't know if the Hunter was going to believe a thing he was about to say, but it was most certainly time for some truth. The Imperials had been hiding it, the Sith were a ticking time bomb likely to explode on the galaxy at any moment...

...and the citizens of said galaxy hadn't a damn clue. And now the Force was suddenly back, after something-or-other had blocked it...

...at least according to what Shayla had told him. But what if that too had something to do with the Sith?

Maybe this was something to examine at a later time, but not now.

"You're right," Erik finally said. "I have not been forthcoming about all of this as I should be, especially since I am reequesting your assistance. I hope you can forgive me of this; it has been quite some time since I have felt I could truly trust anyone around me."

He paused. "I was given the device on Kamino where I was seeking yet another alliance. As for these Sith that I speak of and you have not heard of...

...they exist on planets of their own, planets which the Empire has been blockading and keeping under wraps from the general public. They are an ancient race with bizarre and mystical powers and technologies...

...and I know for a fact that they intend to strengthen themselves and in time take over our galaxy. I know it sounds farfetched, but I've been to these planets and spent quite some time there with these Sith, who pretend to be friends until it no longer serves their purposes. If you want proof of their existence, I do have the coordinates to said planets."

[ 08-28-2010 10:11 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Erik Kartan ]

--------------------

Hey! Where's my A-wing?!

Seus Sh'tan

Member # 945

posted 09-06-2010 03:27 PM     Profile for Seus Sh'tan   Author's Homepage   Email Seus Sh'tan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Seus calmly refilled his cup, took another sip, keeping his expression neutral in the meanwhile. For unlike the jedi, he had no means of determining the veracity of Kartan's words, no ability to discern his emotional state other than by personal experience in dealing with other people.

In his book, jedi were very good at snooping, at gaining information without divulging any in turn, at weasling their will upon the weak-minded, and getting off scot-free to boot. So now was the time to consider all that Kartan had let spill.

Either this is a jedi who has come to discover the efficiency of lying, or who has something of even greater importance that he's keeping to himself...

And then there's the little fact that here's a jedi coming to the Hunters for assistance; oh yeah, there is that strange little tidbit now, isn't there.

He took another sip, leaned back casually, and steadied an emotionless look upon Kartan.

"Perhaps you'd like to give me those coordinates," he said simply.

--------------------

Erik Kartan

Member # 129

posted 09-27-2010 10:01 PM     Profile for Erik Kartan   Author's Homepage   Email Erik Kartan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Erik pursed his lips once...

...and in that split-second made a decision. "Yes, actually, I would."

He paused then, his brown eyes turning deadly serious as he leaned forward a bit. "It's a system beyond the outer rim, and it's been blockaded by the Imperials, but unless things have changed it is not currently."

Quieting again, Erik's eyes defocused. "I've seen these Sith use powers to move from planet to planet without a ship, to alter the minds and memories of others...

...and that isn't even the tip of the meteor."

He shook his head. "I suppose you want to send someone to go out and verify my claims...

...but I would highly reccomend you take great care in doing so."

--------------------

Hey! Where's my A-wing?!

Seus Sh'tan

Member # 945

posted 11-24-2010 05:05 PM     Profile for Seus Sh'tan   Author's Homepage   Email Seus Sh'tan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
The Hunter Boss felt a ripple chill its way up and down his spine. For while the only Sith he had ever come into contact with, be it directly or face to face, were those who raged against anybody but themselves, and who begrudgingly tolerated the Empire because, in their eyes, they were in one way, after all, the Empire itself, they were throughout history but a solitary pair.

But if what Erik was saying was more than the ravings of a man gone mad, there was more to this particular story he thought he knew so well.

The Sith... have a world... and the Imps were blockading it... but not currently...

What in a wampa's iced den did that mean?

He sat stone still, letting the thrill crawling up and down his spine diminish, bit by bit, until it had finally faded away. Raising his cup to his lips he took another sip, only to grimace distastefully.

His cup was quite empty.

He set it down softly, letting it come to rest without so much as the tiniest of clinks. Then he leaned forward, folded his hands atop his desk, looked Erik smack in his dark brown eyes.

I can take you any time I want, and utterly best you. Know this, that look told him flatly before his lips opened and words flowed out.

"Yes, I believe you're right," he agreed with a terse nod of his head. "I believe it is time indeed to check out your... claims."

He paused but a fraction; damn you, Tarnus! I could use you now! then spoke quickly into a nearby comm unit.

"This is Seus; get my ship and crew ready for imminent departure. We'll have... company; prepare a place for him."

He waited only for the reply, then quickly stood up. Letting a genteel smile broaden his otherwise icy lips, he gestured with one hand.

"Shall we, then?" he asked, even as the door to his office whooshed open to reveal two ready and waiting Hunters, both of them armed to their veritable teeth.

[ 11-24-2010 05:08 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Seus Sh'tan ]

--------------------

All times are CT
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Topic Closed  Topic Closed
Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e