my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Role Playing   » Complete Star Wars Universe   » The Weight of the Worlds

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: The Weight of the Worlds
Erik Kartan

Corellian Info Smuggler and Pilot

Member # 129

posted 07-14-2008 03:44 PM     Profile for Erik Kartan   Author's Homepage   Email Erik Kartan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Erik landed the TIE fighter on the outskirts of Coronet City, in a more remote portion of the planet away from its tranquil beaches. Instead he settled upon the landscape of rolling hills and farmlands, yet still in an area clearly meant to berth at least a few ships.

Beyond was a small homestead, long-vacated, but one he knew well. After all, it was here he was born and raised... and trained to be the Jedi that he never became.

Shaking himself from his thoughts, Erik opened the hatch of the TIE fighter, stepped out, and unloaded his small bit of cargo: the tiny box, laden with sith runes and markings, which held the body of his child. Then he secured the fighter and headed into the small homestead, paying little head to its lack of upkeep but instead going directly to a small room. The room held little in the way of definition: its floor was made of hard wood, covered by a mat here or there and holding round table with accompanying chairs in the center. On the walls were a few wooden carvings, and one large, golden familial orb which was a replica of a Jedi Medallion.

The one associated with his family name, the one that had been taken from him the day he refused to take his trials, and had fled, vowing never to return.

Shayla had once asked him why he left. He'd told her that he didn't want his life dictated to him and that he didn't believe in the Corellian Jedi way of keeping to self and to the homeworld. That was true enough. But it wasn't the whole truth. Approaching a nearby closet, Erik keyed in a passcode on a keypad beside the door. After entering, Erik held his breath, uncertain whether or not the code would work...

....and was rewarded when the door in front of him whooshed open to reveal shelves holding many labeled boxes. After searching for a moment, he pulled one of the boxes out, opened it, and retrieved one of the familial Jedcreds. Pausing then, he moved to place the box containing his son's body on the table in the center of the room, opened it...

...and after hesitating for a brief moment laid the medallion atop little Zackary's deceased form. With effort, he closed the small coffin, and returned to the still-open closet. There he retrieved one more of the Jedcreds before placing the box he had removed back on the proper shelf. Hesitating there then, his eyes defocusing as he thought, he retrieved one final box, one that he didn't have to look for at all, and sealed the closet back. Kneeling on the floor, he placed the box in front of him.

The label on the box had one single word enscribed on it: his first name. Opening it, he pulled a dark green Jedi robe from within, for a long moment gripping it as his eyes defocused once more. Finally he reached in the box for the only other thing inside: the lightsaber he had been trained with, before he had created his own.

The one he had inherited from his father, and his teacher.

Clipping it to his belt, he stood, actually putting on his Corellian Jedi robe, pulling the hood over his head, and placing the familial jedcred on his person before picking up the now-empty box on the floor. Only then did he return to the table to also retrieve the box containing his son's body. His stride then slow yet suddenly purposeful, Erik departed the homestead entirely and headed towards the peaceful, rolling hills beyond.

His child's body would be handled in proper Corellian tradition. Only after this was done would he decide what to do next, although he wasn't completely undecided in the matter...

[ 07-14-2008 03:53 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Erik Kartan ]

--------------------

Hey! Where's my A-wing?!
My heart is broken....sweet sleep my Dark Angel... Evanescence, "My Heart is Broken"

Posts: 447 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: Aug 2001  |  Logged: 76.122.52.178
Erik Kartan

Member # 129

posted 07-19-2008 11:01 AM     Profile for Erik Kartan   Author's Homepage   Email Erik Kartan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Erik really wasn't sure how long a time he'd lost himself in introspection in the little valley where he'd taken Zackary's body to burn it upon a funeral pyre in complete compliance with Corellian tradition.

There was still, much to his suprise, a portion of him which felt at home following such traditions...

After collecting the ashes and placing them back into the box which once held the child's body, he placed the medallion inside and closed it, then burying it next to another marked grave, determined to leave Zackary with a portion of his own past as well as his mother's. As Erik finished burying the box he turned to the other grave, his hand shaking of its own accord as he reached out to rub off the dust which had collected on the marker.

Joshua Kartan, it read, no other word on it.

Erik swallowed hard, finally losing himself to his sorrows, and for more than just the loss of his child. For once, he allowed himself to feel the pain in his soul, Jedi codes, propriety and all else be damned. When he finally was able to get a grip on reality again, he stood, shaking himself from all thoughts of the past and loss, wanting nothing more than to go back to life before the Sith, longing for Shayla despite himself. Deep in his heart he knew he couldn't take any more of it, while another portion of himself told him he knew entirely too much to go back to a quiet, uninformed life. Still, going back to Stargazer Corporation would bring him to a place where he felt he had meaning, and where he could do something with the experiences and knowledge he had.

And perhaps to a place where he could deal with his rising concerns as well...

Taking one final look at the two graves in front of him, Erik closed his eyes a moment, allowing his grief to take hold a final time before then opening them and turning away from the valley altogether and back towards the homestead beyond.

[ 07-19-2008 12:06 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Erik Kartan ]

--------------------

Hey! Where's my A-wing?!
My heart is broken....sweet sleep my Dark Angel... Evanescence, "My Heart is Broken"

Posts: 447 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: Aug 2001  |  Logged: 76.122.52.178
Erik Kartan

Member # 129

posted 07-21-2008 08:28 PM     Profile for Erik Kartan   Author's Homepage   Email Erik Kartan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
After cleaning up and packing a few things from home in a small travel case, Erik headed for the comm station in the little homestead to make a brief, but possibly life-altering, call. After retrieving the Eagle Enterprises main comm from the Holonet, he activated the comm and began his message.

Captain Aaron Barnes, this is Erik Kartan, wishing to speak with you regarding the sell of Stargazer Corporation. I once sold her to you out of the necessity to protect my wife...

He trailed, momentarily, at the thought of what he was saying, but managed to keep the pause brief. I would like to do business with you once more, and buy the Corporation back. The circumstances surrounding my request are of a personal nature, but I know now more than ever that I need the business. If you are willing and still able to discuss a sell, please respond and I would be glad to set up a time to meet with you for official business. You can contact me at comm frequency 111248. Until then, Kartan out.

Sending the message off then, Erik sat back, slipping into thoughts of his developing plans when a voice broke such thoughts.

"Erik?"

He stood and whirled, surprise on his face as his brown eyes fell into those of his father's.

"I...I thought..." he started. "I thought you were dead."

The other man merely arched an eyebrow. "No. At least, not yet. And I thought you said you were never coming back."

Erik merely shook his head, sitting back down again. "I'm not, Father," he responded. "You have to understand why, after Joshua's death, after all that happened..."

He trailed.

His father merely frowned. "You aren't the only one who suffered because of your brother's death," his father said, taking a seat next to him. "And you might have been right after all," he then admitted, sighing. "I've lost all my connections with the Force."

Erik merely arched a brow, choosing not to explain the true reasons his Father couldn't connect with the Force. "He died trying to prove to you that he was ready. Just for once, it'd be nice if everyone would just live life, and not be so caught up in proving to the Universe how important they are."

He fell silent, and his eyes defocused.

Beside him, his father frowned. "What has happened to you?" he queried. "I know you haven't been running that company of yours for some time, I am knowledgeable about such things, you know."

Erik shook his head. "We sold the company. But I'm buying it back."

His father arched a brow again. "We? You and that partner of yours that you were so fond of? Stargazer, I think her name was?"

Erik stood. "I married her," he said, his brown eyes growing a bit vague. "But she left me."

For the Sith, a little shourlder being added.

"Look, I've gotta get out of here. I should have never come..."

He trailed, gulping. "...but I had to bury my own son."

"Erik..."

Erik raised his hand, palm outward, shaking his head a bit. "Dad... don't, I don't want to talk about it."

"Ok, fair enough," he responded. "But at least stay for a drink, if for nothing other than old time's sake."

Erik hesitated, then nodded, sitting back down. "Allright," he agreed. "But tomorrow morning, I've got to get going."

[ 07-21-2008 08:39 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Erik Kartan ]

--------------------

Hey! Where's my A-wing?!

Aaron Barnes

Owner of Eagle Enterprises

Member # 414

posted 07-22-2008 11:22 PM     Profile for Aaron Barnes   Author's Homepage   Email Aaron Barnes     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
(((OCC: Transmission incoming from Dark Shadows Rising in this forum, in response to the message sent in the previous post.))

Mr. Kartan, I am open to discussing a sell back to you. Truthfully the company has been running itself, and I know little of the true business. I did it to you as a favor in the time you really needed one...

...and honestly I'm surprised you haven't made this request sooner. I do of course need to make some money off this sell, and perhaps something of a business agreement as well. The Hornett is currently orbitting Degobah. You can make the trip out here to deal with me in person, or we can do so via the holonet. Just let me know. Barnes out.

[ 07-23-2008 01:07 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Aaron Barnes ]

--------------------

Never trust a scoundrel.

Posts: 384 | From: On the Hornett or ship-dealing elsewhere | Registered: Jan 2003  |  Logged: 76.122.52.178
Erik Kartan

Member # 129

posted 08-01-2008 06:41 PM     Profile for Erik Kartan   Author's Homepage   Email Erik Kartan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
After finishing an a few rounds of Corellian ale with his father and sleeping it off, Erik rose early to receive Aaron's comm message. He keyed in the other man's frequency to leave an answer.

I prefer to do business in person, for more than one reason, he opened with, not explaining further. I will be leaving Corellia in a standard hour and expect the trip to take at least a day and a half. I will open communicatios with you once I revert to realspace near your ship. Until then, Kartan out.

Sending the message off, Erik made his way back to the TIE fighter, pausing for a final moment to consider his homeworld. With nothing further then, he got in the TIE, warmed her up, and pulled up the coordinates for Degobah. In a few short minutes he was in hyperspace headed for his new destination, and away from Corellia and the memories had buried there.

Both those of a physical nature and those without.

(((OCC: Follow Erik to Dark Shadows Rising in this same forum.)))

--------------------

Hey! Where's my A-wing?!

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e