my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
»  The Holonet Boards   » Role Playing   » Complete Star Wars Universe   » The Rise of Memories (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Printable Version
Author Topic: The Rise of Memories
Galen

Free Spirit

Member # 28

posted 05-11-2002 05:07 PM     Profile for Galen   Author's Homepage   Email Galen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I dropped the ZZ'shzq out of hyperspace well away from this system's blazing blue giant of a primary, and for the first time in my life came in on a tangent to the equatorial plane that was perpendicular to a direct line between the planet before me and its star.

Sure as there's Treasure on Roon, we didn't want to appear to be sneaking up on this particular world!

Settling back a bit in my seat at navigation, I flashed a hopeful grin toward Terrin. "Well, here we go, love," I spoke into a silence which quite suddenly began looming as greatly as did the planetary surface in our forward viewscreen. "I sure hope that Seus remembers me, because--"

My words were abruptly cut off as our bridge speaker squawked into life.

"Incoming vessel, state identification, Captain and destination." The tone of that staticky voice brooked no room for deception; I shot Terrin one final loving look -- in case it would be the last one ever shared between us -- and took a deep breath.

"Ground control, this is Galen Jhin'Dar piloting ZZ'shzq," I began formally. "Captain Terrin Danner wishes to extend--"

Once again my words were cut off as a loud squawk filled the bridge. There was a moment of silence; then over a mechanical sort of rustle a vaguely familiar voice was now heard.

"Galen Jhin'Dar?" it queried thoughtfully, then brightened by several degrees. "Galen! How on Kessel are ya, gal? It's me, remember? Zarkon." The speakers quieted to more staticky chatter, then his voice came through loud and clear.

"Follow docking procedures Alpha-14 to padd 74D; I'm sure you remember from the last time you were here." More static, somehow muffled as though someone were trying to block the mouthpiece on the other end. Then: "You'll be met there, and welcome back!"

I turned to Terrin with a shrug, my eyes wide. "In for a credit..."

ZZ'shzq made a graceful swoop, entered the planet's outer atmosphere, and headed down to dock upon the mysterious and hidden world of the Bounty Hunter's Guild.

--------------------

"Sure as there is Treasure on Roon...."

Posts: 1459 | From: | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 64.12.104.56
Terrin Danner

Exceptional Salesman turned Really Nice Guy

Member # 110

posted 05-11-2002 11:50 PM     Profile for Terrin Danner   Author's Homepage   Email Terrin Danner     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Terrin grinned back as the ship made its final descent and Galen began shutting down systems. "In for a credit indeed," he said.

Standing, he hit the inter-ship comm switch. "Jasyn, Shawn, get to the hatch in 5."

"Gotcha, boss," came Jasyn's reply.

Then simply waiting for the rest of the ship systems to shut down, Terrin couldn't deny the edge of anxiousness he was feeling. Whether it had to do with the fact that he really hoped they'd find her ship or that he really hoped no one would recognize him as an smuggler, he wasn't sure. On both counts, he'd simply have to trust in the Fates that all would work out for the best.

And on the latter, he'd also have to trust Galen that she'd be able to help him out if the smuggler thing DID come up. It came as no surprise to him that this trust didn't come with difficulty in the least.

As the ZZ'Shzq's final systems went to sleep, Terrin looked to her again, smiling into her brown eyes and pushing aside any concerns, lending her his hand as she vacated the pilot's seat.

"Ok, sweetheart," he said, tilting his head a bit as he gazed into her brown eyes for another moment, "Here's hoping we find what we came here for."

[ 05-12-2002 12:01 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Terrin Danner ]

--------------------

"Where's the horns, flyboy?"
~~Galen
It is a far greater thing to live a life with purpose and risk death than to simply live.~~CMH

Posts: 1189 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 146.201.34.112
Galen

Free Spirit

Member # 28

posted 05-12-2002 01:19 PM     Profile for Galen   Author's Homepage   Email Galen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I gave Terrin's hand a little squeeze in return.

"I hope so too, love," I breathed, then stepped forth to disembark from the hissing and outgassing ZZ'shzq.

The sun, entirely too bright for my liking, slammed unwanted into my eyes. I squinted into the afternoon bustle around me; looks just like it did the last time I was here.

Including the guy in brown and blue... the same one who was hustling up to us like he did on that day Sorben had taken us here in that Mon Calamari vessel we had, ummm, appropriated.

Zarkon hurried forward with both hands outstretched. "Galen, it's good to see you again!" he beamed with a smile nearly as bright as the sun blazing over our heads. Even the bustle of the port couldn't cover that booming voice of his; I shot Terrin a sideways glance, then hurried forward myself.

"Good to be back, Zarkon," I replied as I suddenly found myself enveloped in a bear hug of expansive proportions. I grunted lightly. "I- it's nice to be remembered so fondly!"

"Remembered?" Now I found myself gripped in two large hands and shoved out at arm's length. "Kessel, gal, that's all Seus ever talks about is you and Sorben... when he speaks at all that is."

He suddenly cut himself off, shooting a suspicious look at Terrin. He cocked his head a bit to one side, then straightened. One arm still around my shoulders, he began moving forward, beckoning the others to follow along.

"Here," he changed the subject abruptly. "Let me get you and your companions settled in some suites -- as Seus's guests, of course -- so you can get the spacedust off yourselves. He's asked to see you in his offices after dinner; ummm... about twenty-seven hundred standard, shall we say?"

It was with the greatest of effort that I kept from making any obvious reaction to this little announcement. Sheesh, that's fast! I couldn't help but think. I was hoping to talk to him in the morning sometime....

To hide my surprise -- as well as the growing sense of unease which wafted along in its wake -- I glanced at the universal chrono I wore and made a slight adjustment, altering it to the 36-hour day this planet possessed. Then I just nodded, not really needing to reply. In fact, I suddenly found the sandcat had gotten my tongue; for an inexplicable reason I felt the need to clam up and say no more until we were in the presence of Seus.

I sent a wide smile up at Zarkon, and merely let him lead us out of the main docking area and over to a nearby luxury transport. It hovered on its magfield like a gleeberfly over a choice blossom.

He handed the driver a chit as we entered and seated ourselves. Just before we left, I felt his great bear-like paw land on my shoulder once again.

"Seus is really looking forward to seeing you again, Galen," he said sotto voce. Then he straightened, waving the driver on, and we took off for our luxury suites.

As the guests of Seus... of course.

--------------------

Posts: 1459 | From: | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.192.163
Terrin Danner

Member # 110

posted 05-12-2002 02:23 PM     Profile for Terrin Danner   Author's Homepage   Email Terrin Danner     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Terrin shot a sidelong glance at Jasyn, who wasn't even bothering to cover the quizzical look on his own face. He simply arched an eyebrow back as if to say Oookay, this sounds interesting...

Terrin merely shrugged, keeping an ear and an eye on the conversation and following the rather friendly person who called himself Zarkon.

Terrin felt his hackles raise just a bit. He couldn't help it. You've been a smuggler at heart all your life buddy, that's not going to change. Proof will always have to come before trust. And you've never heard of this particular person in your life, his shoulder devil piped up.

Terrin frowned a bit at that little demonic voice, wishing like Hell it'd go away.

His thoughts were interrupted as they were motioned to a luxury transport.

Whoa--luxury transport??? Here he couldn't help but shoot somewhat wide-eyed expression at his employee and friend. Shawn meanwhile trotted behind, remaining completely serene and seemingly unaffected by any of this.

Bet he's a hell of a Sabaac player, Terrin thought to himself.

Getting settled inside the transport, Terrin's little shoulder angel managed to spit out one last word that was at least half-worth thinking. At least you made it to the surface of the planet in one piece...

--------------------

~~Galen
It is a far greater thing to live a life with purpose and risk death than to simply live.~~CMH

Posts: 1189 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 146.201.32.33
Galen

Free Spirit

Member # 28

posted 05-12-2002 02:57 PM     Profile for Galen   Author's Homepage   Email Galen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I stood out upon the balcony of the luxurious suites Seus had so generously arranged for our comfort. Before me, the lights of the city began popping on one by one as the growing night set out to claim its time upon this place; I turned from the sight and leaned back against the balcony, shaking my head a bit to myself.

It was a moment of deja vu.

I fingered the raven's-wing blue-black Kaladorian dress I was wearing which I had found spread out so obligingly across the expansive bed this suite featured. It was a dead replica of the one first offerred to me by Seus over a year ago, and donning it brought memories flooding back. While I wondered as to Seus's intentions in providing me with this same extravagent piece of apparel, I wasn't about to turn down the gesture. Sorben's eyes had about popped from his head when I had donned it...

...and I was certain Terrin would find it equally attractive.

I smiled softly against the night and the rise of memories, then moved back into the suite, my Solve sandals treading like cat's paws upon the decadently rich carpet with which the rooms were attired. It was about time to head out for dinner....

No sooner had that thought entered my head when there came a knock at my door. Still smiling, I wafted over and opened it to find Terrin standing there, looking extremely handsome in a flowing shirt of spidersilk, cinched in by a Nerf-leather doublet and form-fitting pants. His eyes met mine and he shrugged as if to say, "Well, not what I would buy, but who's to look a gift ikopi in the mouth?"

Dinner passed uneventfully, with the four of us exchanging small talk over the seemingly unending series of entrees and delicacies waiters kept pouring upon us like water over a dam. I couldn't remember when I had dined so excessively in my entire life; it was all I could do to keep myself in control and not look like a glutton in front of the others. Too much food and drink lead to lethargy and dull wits, and for some unfathomable reason I wanted to remain in fighting trim while we were here. So I partook lightly of the exotic offerrings, as did Terrin and Shawn.

Now as for Jasyn....

I smiled, watching him down his third helping of steak tartare, then sit back with a burp and a sigh of content. I wondered if he'd be able to haul himself to his feet; no better time than the present, I thought as I touched Terrin lightly on his arm.

"It's time to go, love," I murmured, getting to my feet in a silken rustle of cloth. The waiters all scraped and nodded as we proceeded to exit -- what in the name of all the Fates was going on here?

We gained the street, not having to pay so much as one credit, and there found our luxury transport waiting for us yet again. It carried us in grand style to a portion of this bustling city I remembered well, one whose wide streets were lined with twin lines of stately white buildings. An archway bearing the Tavlorean Guild emblem soared overhead as the transport purred into Seus's little -- but impossibly wealthy -- kingdom. We came to a stop before a particularly sleek building, all chrome and white and duraglass, then stepped out of the transport. It purred off to wait for us farther away, so as not to detract from the awe-inspiring splendor of this place.

Stepping forward now, we approached the building and came to stop in front of two large white doors, each with a half of a Tavlorean flag emblazed upon it. The flag of the top-Nek guild. It was an honor to be a member of this elite guild of hunters, not to mention exhausting... how well I remembered Sorben's words to me about his small but dangerous clan.

At the time I had lost myself in the security of being a part of it. But now...

I pressed a button next to one of the doors. A voice shortly replied. "Yes?" an elderly voice said questioning who could be at Administrator Seus's door at this hour.

"It's Galen Jhin'Dar and companions, Captain Terrin Danner, Jasyn Lancaster, and Jedi Shawn Petrolu, sir," I said looking forward with my head held high. In a nanosecond the doors insignia parted opening up into a grand foyer. There waited a man dressed in impeccable servant's attire, who said nothing more but led us into the depths of the building to an office I well remembered. I looked at Terrin who was staring about himself with a look that depicted more and more a growing amazement... yet was still charged with a great deal of suspicion. I nudged him forward with a simple pull on his arm as the servant opened the doors to the office and we entered.

The office was absolutely huge by most commoner's standards. Seus liked his space and he had plenty of it. The walls were all Hulbart Tusk white with large carved supports on each of the four corners of the wall. The ceiling was a good thirty meters high. The city lights from the outside beamed in brilliantly illuminating the room in a comfortable soft light.

In the center of the room there was a lone desk with a huge display screen behind it mounted into the wall. A man sat at the desk. "Come now Galen, don't be shy," he said jokingly as he sat a pointer down and rose from his desk.

After a moment's hesitation we approached. Seus stood a mere meter and a half tall with olive skin and dark eyes. Long white hair flowed behind him as he walked around to greet us. His blue robes flowing as he walked. He was a native of this planet and a sixth generation bounty hunter. His three sons followed in his footsteps as did his grandaughter, Alliah. He extended his strong hands to greet me, grasping mine and giving them a squeeze.

"Galen, but it's good to see you, my girl!" he said in his calm yet commanding voice. "How have you and Sorben been; I haven't heard from him in what, over a year now? It's going to be good catching up on old times."

He spoke no more but stood there holding my hands, glancing with an almost mild curiosity to Terrin and the others, waiting for someone to reply.

[ 05-12-2002 03:06 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Galen ]

--------------------

Posts: 1459 | From: | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.197.54
Terrin Danner

Member # 110

posted 05-12-2002 03:44 PM     Profile for Terrin Danner   Author's Homepage   Email Terrin Danner     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Terrin's shoulder angel had been pointing its finger at him all evening, and frankly it was getting rather irritating. You just better be thankful these people are being so hospitable! it whined at him. No reason for you to be suspicious if there's no REASON to be, and you know it's HIGHLY unlikely anything will happen!

Unconsciously, Terrin rolled his baby blues at this. Allright then, he thought. Probably WOULD be a good idea to knock the smuggler's MO just a bit. These people are all gonna think you are TRYING to hide something if you keep this up. Take it easy.

No sooner had he decided that when a single bit of conversation grabbed his complete attention. "How have you and Sorben been; I haven't heard from him in what, over a year now? It's going to be good catching up on old times."

Whoa, buddy...!

Terrin tried his damnedest to cover his expression of surprise as he finally shot his first truly good look at the olive skinned man who was looking a bit curiously at him.

Oh, this was going to be FUN...

Galen, meanwhile, was looking a bit fidgety herself. Shawn--well, obnoxious Jedi calm was all Terrin could think of to call it. He just HAD to ask Shawn how he did that someday...

Jasyn, on too much food and probably too much wine, was the one sole member who did anything. HE was beginning to snicker. Trying to remain as inconspicious as possible, Terrin stepped a bit closer to him, frowning and jabbing him in the arm with an elbow.

"What?!" Jasyn growled.

Terrin frowned a bit more at him as if to say You had BETTER shut up. He knew this would eventually come up, but he certainly didn't want his half-drunk employee to let the information out. He was rather hoping for a gentler way of divulging this information to a bunch of people who quite understandably might take it as a bit of a shock.

He wasn't going to get his wish exactly.

"Might wanna mention you haven't heard from Sorben either," Jasyn bathered on. Terrin just cringed. Thankfully, Jasyn clammed up at that, finally realizing that if looks could kill the one he was getting from his employer would probably do just that at the moment.

Terrin looked about the room, avoiding Seus's increasingly curious gaze and trying for the life of him to ignore the bemused look in Shawn's eyes.

So much for subtly. Guess they really DID have some catching up to do...

[ 05-12-2002 03:45 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Terrin Danner ]

--------------------

~~Galen

Posts: 1189 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 146.201.32.33
Galen

Free Spirit

Member # 28

posted 05-12-2002 04:23 PM     Profile for Galen   Author's Homepage   Email Galen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I blinked at Seus's words, then let my eyes close and remain that way as Jasyn blathered on. The reasoning behind our red-carpet treatment slammed home with supernova force.

Seus thought I was still with Sorben, who just happened to be the top-Nek bounty hunter of this top-Nek guild. This was to be a welcoming home for what he thought were the two of us...

I gulped, trying to figure out exactly where to go from here. Yet even as I tried to form the words to divulge what had happened between his favorite bounty hunter and myself, I couldn't help the line of worry which came shooting into my thoughts.

Sorben hadn't touched bases here in over a year; quite probably since I had left him. Great Khaandon, but where had he gone? With Quee? I couldn't imagine that happening; Quee had his own wife and life to live.

Egads, had he spent this time searching me out? Or had some horrible ill befallen him in the year and more which had since passed?

I swallowed, seeking inner strength. Well, as I was so wont to say, in for a credit....

"I haven't been with Sorben for over a year, Seus," I tried to break the news as gently as I could. No telling what would happen if Seus became angered for some reason -- hope we wouldn't get stuck having to foot the bill for the luxuries which had been tossed our way. This was NOT the place to slip out on a tab....

"In fact--" now I lifted a hand, but whether in an explanatory or defensive manner I couldn't be entirely certain. "I'm here with my fiance, Captain Danner."

If Seus bore any surprise or ill will at this disclosure, he didn't show it one iota. He turned slightly now, levelling his calm gaze at Terrin, who nodded once in affirmation. Then he turned back to me, squeezed my hands, let them drop, and moved back behind his desk.

"Then this is a formal visit," he commented lightly as he took his seat.

I pursed my lips. "I had hoped it more than that, Seus," I started, a touch of moisture coming into my eye. I gave my head a toss to blink it away, and with no further ado launched into an explanation of what I had undergone since leaving Sorben so long ago... finally coming to a halt with why we were now here.

"...and so we were hoping that either Quee had come here with Jester II, or that Sorben had flown her here himself. We're really going to be needing her if I'm to find my daughter.

"Sorben's daughter," I ended with, letting the little bombshell I had withheld all along drop into a suddenly expanding silence.

Beside me, Terrin and Shawn remained silent. Jasyn hummed a little tune to himself.

And Seus merely slitted his eyes against the four of us there.

Oh Khaandon, somebody say something please...!

--------------------

Posts: 1459 | From: | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.198.58
Terrin Danner

Member # 110

posted 05-12-2002 04:56 PM     Profile for Terrin Danner   Author's Homepage   Email Terrin Danner     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Terrin had stayed virtually impassive throughout the entire disclosure, mostly gauging Seus's reaction to the information being revealed.

Nothing like trying to play a hand of Sabaac with a pro.

At the end of their currently developing little tale, Seus merely slitted his eyes a bit as he eyed the four people standing in front of him. Without being completely aware of it, Terrin slipped his hand around one of Galen's.

He's probably trying to figure out why the Sithspit YOU care about Sorben and Galen's daughter. And face it buster, he's got no more reason to trust you than you have to trust him.

Excepting one very important connection.

Galen. The woman that you love.

"Look, Seus. I know this probably all comes as a shock," Terrin said at length. "That's understandable. But if you have it in your power to help us, I ask of you that you would. You see, when I fell in love with Galen, I fell in love with all that she was and is, no strings attached--and that includes helping take care of her daughter. Of Sorben's daughter. So much that..." here he paused a moment, casting a momentary gaze over at Galen, "I find myself viewing Galen's daughter as my own."

Then, returning his blue eyes to Seus's dark ones. "We simply have to find her, and we need Jester II to have the best shot at doing that."

Then falling silent, Terrin simply waited.

[ 05-12-2002 04:58 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Terrin Danner ]

--------------------

~~Galen

Galen

Free Spirit

Member # 28

posted 05-12-2002 05:14 PM     Profile for Galen   Author's Homepage   Email Galen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I opened my mouth, let it gape there as though words would magically form out of thin air and drop like krayt-dragon pearls of wisdom from my lips.

Nothing came; realizing I was probably looking like an opee out of water, I forced my lips closed into a shaky smile. I squeezed Terrin's hand, thankful for it's warm strength about my own.

The gesture didn't elude Seus's keen eye. He sat back a bit. Then--

"You know when we went to the site you told us of, there wasn't a Sith relic to be found," he spoke up in an apparent non sequiteur.

My mouth promptly fell open. "But- but there were relics there, I swear it to you! No way would I try to lie to you, Seus!"

No way I could ever pay back that twenty thousand you sent to Sorben and I; no matter what the messenger had said, I knew it was meant to be a down-payment on our portion of the share of what we'd get from selling those lovely little ships to all the right people....

Tension suddenly built. I tried my best to ignore it.

Seus eyed us carefully, then pierced that tension with a warm and genuine smile. I sagged inwardly as the room flooded with warmth.

"I've known about your child with Sorben; how wonderful, a little girl!" he began; then his face tightened into a frown. "I am also not completely in the dark about these mysterious Sith who have been running amok -- or so says the word which has been floating about the galaxy over the past few months.

"There have been other-- matters of discord arising as well, of which I'm certain you have heard at least a whisper," he continued, now giving Terrin a penetrating glance. Terrin pursed his lips in a slight frown, his blue eyes meeting those of Seus in a straightforward manner.

Seus merely cocked his head to one side.

"And you, Jedi? What information do you have to offer?"

With that near command blasting out from left field, he fell silent, and so did I. We all waited to hear what Shawn now had to offer.

--------------------

Shawn Petrolu

Trustworthy Jedi Knight

Member # 154

posted 05-12-2002 05:35 PM     Profile for Shawn Petrolu   Author's Homepage   Email Shawn Petrolu     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Folding his hands in the sleeves of his blue Jedi robes, Shawn met Seus's gaze with his own calm greeny-blue one, ignoring the quizzical looks from the others completely.

"I am aware of the discord currently occurring, although I have yet to determine the source of the trouble. I do not believe the current galactic discord is the result of Sith doing, but I fear there will be far greater trouble if this little girl is not taken safely from them--she has special powers that might elude even the Jedi. The Jedi Council has been aware of her coming birth for some time, yet they have been lax in taking proper steps to effectively protect this her. Even now, they underestimate her importance. It's a possibility that, if whomever the source of the current galactic trouble discovers the importance of this child, they may too seek her out. And that, quite frankly, could result in war on a grander scale than even the Rebellion. Finding her as soon as possible is the best way to protect her from the current turmoil until she is able to utilize the gifts she has been born with."

--------------------

Please shoot me, I'm surrounded by idiots.

Posts: 553 | From: See Mara1Jade | Registered: Mar 2002  |  Logged: 146.201.32.33
Galen

Free Spirit

Member # 28

posted 05-12-2002 06:45 PM     Profile for Galen   Author's Homepage   Email Galen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
OK, I thought I had been gaping before, but now I really meant it. I turned an incredulous look to the otherwise taciturn and annoyingly calm jedi in our group.

Sheesh, I knew our daughter was going to be some kind of Force-user, but one strong enough to begin wars???

I gulped, turning to Seus. I saw my own reflection in his face.

He exhaled loudly, then sat back in his chair, his two hands placing themselves on the table as he nodded once to himself. Then he spoke up, his manner a no-nonsense one.

"You echo words that have preceded you, Jedi, and thus confirm them," he said succinctly, not deigning to enlighten us as to exactly where those words had come from, or who had spoken them. I barely had time to wonder about this when he stood up, coming around to stand before us again.

"We have Jester II safely docked here, Galen," he announced out of the blue. "Quee brought her here about a month after Sorben fell out of sight. We- I still haven't heard from him..."

Now he cut himself off, reaching out to place a hand on my shoulder. His eyes searched deeply into my own.

What could I do? Keenly aware of Terrin's presence beside me, knowing he knew who Sorben was in my life...

My old life, love! One that has gone before! Oh, trust in that...!

...I found myself speaking the words before I fully realized they were falling from my lips.

"Thank you, Seus, for keeping my ship safe for me. In exchange for docking fees, we've got a sweet little yacht which has brought us here we can leave as recompense..."

I delivered a pre-emptory kick to Terrin's ankle to keep his objections to himself at this.

"...and when we've found JhinDarra, I promise to see what I can do about finding out what happened to Sorben. It's the least I can do, really."

I then fell silent, looking back and forth between the diminutive figure and the lean one of my love, practically hearing the sound of Jasyn's jaw as it struck the floor. Amazing the sound it could make on the thick carpet here....

--------------------

Terrin Danner

Member # 110

posted 05-12-2002 07:43 PM     Profile for Terrin Danner   Author's Homepage   Email Terrin Danner     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
His beautiful, wonderful, little yacht...

Terrin pursed his lips a bit, keenly aware of that increasingly annoying shoulder-devil's presence near him. Originally, it had popped into existence when Galen had offered ZZ'Shzq to Seus free of charge.

But when the promise to help find Sorben came out of her mouth, the demonic imp shifted to some even more worrisome comments, striving to win free reign over his psyche. See, she still loves Sorben, it growled. You were second best, she settled for you...now she can help find him and you'll be alone, again...

This particular line of accusatory blatherings emitted from the devil for a mere moment or two before truth and logic won out. One line of logic in particular caught Terrin's attention.

And this is different from the mere months ago when you asked Galen to help you find Shayla, your own past love interest, HOW? It's not. And did she ever question that? No, and she'd been with you mere days at the time while now you've been together for months. You know that she loves you, and you know how much you love her; nothing else matters. So show the trust in her that you know you have. After all, love without trust just...isn't.

And he did trust her. With all his heart.

At last, not sure as to how long everyone had been waiting for someone to say something, Terrin refocused on the reality of the situation, giving Galen's hand yet another gentle squeeze of reassurance as if to silently say that he trusted her. "I might have strings I can pull to help you find out what happened to Sorben as well," he commented. "I'll see what we can do. And," he added, managing to do a pretty good job of covering the inward wince associated with his next comment, "I hope you'll accept my little yacht in return for all your hospitality and help."

If Jasyn's jaw could have hit the floor any harder than it had just a moment ago it would have.

--------------------

~~Galen

Posts: 1189 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 146.201.32.121
Galen

Free Spirit

Member # 28

posted 05-14-2002 12:32 PM     Profile for Galen   Author's Homepage   Email Galen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Seus eyed us in that calmly appraising manner which he had. Then--

"Very well, then," he nodded, going back to take his seat once again. "But--" Here he pierced Terrin's baby blues with a shrewd look. "No need for you to sacrifice your yacht. I'm certain that...something will come along the pike... sometime... which would be a more reasonable payment for the small number of credits it took to keep Jester II safely here for you."

Reaching into his desk, he pulled out a datapadd and busied himself with the keyboard. After a bit, he looked up.

"A transport will be at your hotel tomorrow morning to take you to where we have kept your ship... safe," he said, stressing the latter word oddly. I gritted my teeth at his subtle tonal change, wondering if anyone else had keyed in upon it, wondering what in Hell's Seven Circles was going on here. But it wasn't my place to speak up; I just nodded agreeably, giving Terrin another little kick to remind him to smile pretty.

"In the meantime, please remain as my guests, for old time's sake if for nothing else. Can't let it be known that Seus is a credit-hoarder now, can we?"

Now he stood up, holding out a dismissive hand for us to shake. Terrin smiled a little bit uncertainly, then shook in agreement to what had been said. Although he looked a little hesitant, I knew he was probably trying to hide his relief at not having to lose the newly acquired ZZ'shzq, for whom he seemed to be developing a more than moderate liking. Jasyn hung back, grumbling to himself, while our intrepid Jedi merely lost his hands in the folds of his cloak, and stood in an impenetrable cloud of serenity.

I smiled back at Seus, bobbing my head as I too reached out to take his hand. Then the impeccably stiff servant was at our side... and we soon found ourselves out on the sidewalk in front of the stately double doors. They closed behind us with a slight whoosh, releasing us into the night, and into a suddenly rising sense of... of...

...of our being watched?

--------------------

Posts: 1459 | From: | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.197.186
Sorben Tarnus

Former Top-Dog Bounty Hunter, Now 3rd-In-Charge of the Galaxy

Member # 44

posted 05-14-2002 01:05 PM     Profile for Sorben Tarnus   Author's Homepage   Email Sorben Tarnus     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I shifted my position within the shadows from the alley across the street from the Tavlorean HQ. A bit of discomfort rose up in me as memories flooded back. Yeah buddy, those were the days, being one of the few, the proud, the Tavlorean...

...but no longer. Life had come along to deal this sabaac player anything but the Fool's Hand, and I found myself having to do all I could do to recover from it.

There were those who had intimated along the way that perhaps I had brought it all down upon myself, after-- well, I use the word "were"; those who had the temerity to suggest anything wouldn't be talking much any longer, except maybe to whatever gods or personal entities they believed in and were now having cozy lil tete-a-tetes with....

I shifted again, wishing I could take off my helmet to scratch my nose, which was suddenly beginning to itch. I frowned, the scar on my face tightening, as I wriggled that nose in an attempt to alleviate that annoying crawly feeling. Then I straightened, tensing slightly. My personal itches usually happened along when plans long laid were finally approaching a head, and I did not want to run afoul of the certain somebody in whose plans I now found myself having become ensnared, should things screw up this late in the game.

Sure as hell, four figures exited from headquarters, and stood chatting idly in the night. I ignored them all, except for the one... and when I saw her I couldn't help but gasp slightly.

Seus you dog you, how dare you give her another one of those damned dresses....

I pursed my lips, jerking my thoughts away from the inky abyss at the lip of which they were teetering, back to the reality of the situation and the job I had to do.

Damn you! I thought, suddenly enraged, to the man who had first trapped, and then hired me. Damn you to hell.

And damn HER.

Letting those thoughts ignite my psychic after-burners, I burst from my hiding place and in short shrift had reached them. The Jedi was dispatched with a quick burst from my netgun; I knew I had to work fast, though; he'd soon be out from entanglement. I turned now to a somewhat short individual, who with the roar of a rancor was heading straight for me with nothing but his fists... and who I lightly tapped into unconsciousness with the butt of my blaster in passing.

Two down. Two seconds. I needed two more....

Now the tall, blue-eyed one I knew to be Terrin Danner was coming at me even as I whirled, his eyes blazing with a combination of outraged determination laced with just a touch of fear. I let him get within spitting distance; then:

"Not your turn... yet." I let the blaster send him off to lala-land as well... then I turned to...

Her.

She stood poised as physical oxymoron, her Kaladorian dress glinting in the streetlights and contrasting quite significantly with the fighting stance she took. How well I remembered her hutzpah; she sure hasn't seemed to have lost it.

For a moment I thought I'd drown in those wide flirty eyes I had always loved. My jaw worked itself into speech.

"I'm sorry, babes." I said, then stunned her into immobility. Leaping out to snag her before she fell, I turned back to the Jedi who was still thrashing in the coils of my netgun discharge. I knelt briefly on one knee, stuck a finger into his face.

"Don't even think about it, pal," I hissed from behind my T-visored Mandalorian helmet.

Then I whirled, Galen's unconscious form scarcely a burden as I fled back through the secret passageways I knew so well, back to where I had hidden my YT-1500 Firespray, Aftershock.

In moments we were aboard. And in but a couple more, we were aloft, through the atmosphere, and into space. I didn't begin to relax until the stars in the forward viewport smeared themselves into hyperdriven streaks, and I had finished my sensor sweep for discretely placed bugs. It was when the sweep came up negative that I let out my breath, sitting back in my seat with the certain knowledge that I was safely away.

I frowned into the viewport, then got to my feet, and headed off to where I had imprisoned my former love and mother of my child.

[ 05-14-2002 01:17 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Sorben Tarnus ]

--------------------

I am not a droid

Posts: 380 | From: | Registered: Aug 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.197.186
Shawn Petrolu

Trustworthy Jedi Knight

Member # 154

posted 05-14-2002 05:12 PM     Profile for Shawn Petrolu   Author's Homepage   Email Shawn Petrolu     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
By the time Shawn had disentangled himself from the netgun discharge whomever had snagged Galen had managed to make himself really scarce.

A little too scarce for Shawn's liking. He cursed himself for not reacting quickly enough and being taken by total surprise.

They had to get moving.

Reaching out a hand, Shawn made his way to Terrin and placed it on his shoulder. Closing his eyes, he sent some Force-healing his way, countering the effects of the stun.

Then he waited for Terrin to come to before assisting Jasyn...

--------------------

Posts: 553 | From: See Mara1Jade | Registered: Mar 2002  |  Logged: 146.201.34.50
Terrin Danner

Member # 110

posted 05-14-2002 05:21 PM     Profile for Terrin Danner   Author's Homepage   Email Terrin Danner     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Terrin's eyes snapped open, the words "Not you...yet," reverberating in his mind.

What the hell?

Before Shawn could react Terrin sat up and grabbed a fistful of his Jedi-tunic, thinking their attacker was still present. As reality became clearer, he was about ready to let go of the irritatingly calm Jedi when he realized something else.

Galen was gone.

His grip on Shawn's tunic only tightened.

"Where the Hell is she?" he spat. "Who was that? Why didn't you see that coming, All-Powerful One?"

Shawn actually turned a pretty stern look into Terrin's stormy blues. "This isn't going to help. We're wasting time already."

Terrin finally let go of Shawn's tunic. "I'm assuming you have a plan."

"Not much of one, but it may be enough if we get a ship and get going. You probably ought to let Seus know about this too."

Terrin bit his lip thoughtfully, hauling himself to his feet. "Allright then. Let's get Jasyn conscious and get going," he said, trying to appear calm.

He was anything but that.

Galen taken AGAIN. By a...a...

...seemed like some sort of Bounty Hunter...

...Bounty Hunter???

[ 05-14-2002 05:23 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Terrin Danner ]

--------------------

~~Galen

Posts: 1189 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 146.201.34.50
Shawn Petrolu

Trustworthy Jedi Knight

Member # 154

posted 05-14-2002 06:16 PM     Profile for Shawn Petrolu   Author's Homepage   Email Shawn Petrolu     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Jasyn was quite understandably a little less than friendly when Shawn brought him back to consciousness. Fortunately, his Jedi instincts allowed him to just miss the other's swing.

Terrin meanwhile stood pacing impatiently.

After a few moments, Jasyn was back to himself and everyone was standing.

"So let's go..." Terrin started.

Shawn shook his head. Terrin frowned back. "We should think this over carefully. Something is just really not right here."

"You're damn straight there's something not right here," Terrin growled.

"Terrin, this could be a trap," Shawn said simply, ignoring the other one's glare.

Jasyn, who'd managed to clear the fog from his eyes, nodded in agreement. "Think about it Terrin. Someone snags your fiance and leaves you only stunned? If someone REALLY wanted to get your attention and get you on the move, I'd say that's a good way to do it."

"Yeah, but if someone wanted ME why would they, with me right with Galen, take Galen instead?" Terrin questioned back.

Shawn thought only a nanosecond when the answer hit him. "They want you both."

Not you...yet...

...yet...

Terrin frowned even more blackly. Who might be after he and Galen both?

Considering their recent history, there were at least two options.

The defunct Empire of that Admiral Actar or the New Republic, angered with the whole Coruscant prison break all those months ago.

Sending a bounty hunter after someone wasn't exactly the New Republic's style.

Who the hell was this bounty hunter anyway?

Granted, there was an off-chance that this person was not a bounty hunter, but considering the weaponry and the armor...

...and the skill...

Had to be a bounty hunter.

But who?

A thought came to Terrin's mind, and, as if everyone else had read his mind as he turned and proceeded onward, they followed immediately.

In minutes Terrin found himself pressing the button of Seus's luxurious home once more repeatedly, waiting for anyone to answer.

The same elderly person's voice answered, sounding not-too-pleased at someone calling at this hour.

"This is Captain Terrin Danner and companions. We have an emergency. I need to speak with Seus immediately. Galen's been taken..."

[ 05-14-2002 06:20 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Shawn Petrolu ]

--------------------

Posts: 553 | From: See Mara1Jade | Registered: Mar 2002  |  Logged: 146.201.34.50
Seus

unregistered

posted 05-14-2002 06:51 PM       Edit/Delete Post
Seus looked up from his datapadd with a slight frown. His personal manservant stood hovering stiffly in the doorway to his private office.

"Sir, the gentlemen who were here earlier have returned," he said with a formal little bow. "They are most upset; it seems the young woman has been... ahh, taken."

Seus closed his eyes tiredly, inhaling deeply just once. Then he ran a hand though his long white hair, his eyes opening to fix themselves upon his servant.

"See them in at once, Freel," he stated, putting the datapadd away and clasping his hands on his desktop while he waited. Mere moments passed before Freel returned to usher Terrin, Jasyn and Shawn back into the grandiose office they had just left.

Seus nodded to Freel, who backed out, closing the door as he went. All remained in complete silence; then Seus heaved a small sigh.

"I'm afraid I cannot allow you to have that ship," he said in a soft voice that was somehow edged with durasteel. "But you may present whatever request it is you seek by returning here with this... matter."

He fell silent, his eyes boring into the eyes of Jasyn and Shawn before coming to a standstill in Terrin's as he waited to hear just exactly what his guests required of him now.

Logged: 152.163.207.179
Terrin Danner

Member # 110

posted 05-14-2002 07:08 PM     Profile for Terrin Danner   Author's Homepage   Email Terrin Danner     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Terrin met Seus's dark gaze with a look of firey determination.

"My request is an obvious one; I don't know if it's possible but I need to find out who just went trotting off with my fiance. I suspect it is a bounty hunter; the Sith don't operate in this mode and the skill exhibited by this person doesn't leave room for it to be an amateur.

To be straight to the point, the fact that he was heavily armored with some...interesting weaponry leads me to believe a bounty hunter is after me or Galen. Or the both of us. I don't know how you could help us exactly..."

Here he paused, his blue eyes boring into Seus's dark pair.

"...but you are the head of a Bounty Hunter's Guild. Perhaps you could."

[ 05-14-2002 07:09 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Terrin Danner ]

--------------------

~~Galen

Posts: 1189 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 146.201.34.50
Seus

unregistered

posted 05-14-2002 07:18 PM       Edit/Delete Post
Seus got to his feet without a word and wandered over to the immense window that overlooked the light-pocked street below. For a moment he just stood there, his hands clasped behind his back, apparently lost in thought. Then he turned to face the fire-eyed Captain Danner.

"You... suggest I put out bounty on one of my own?" he queried softly. "Or worse: divulge to you who this guild -- if it is indeed this guild -- has taken on as a client?"

He shook his head. "That I can not do, nor will I. I'm afraid I have no answers for you, young man. As much as I feel for you about your loss -- and please believe me when I say I do understand what you are going through -- I just don't see how I can help you at this time.

"Unless, of course, you have a suggestion which is entirely escaping me at the moment."

He fell silent, his manner calm, but something of the rancor beginning to glow deeply within his eyes.

Logged: 152.163.195.203
Terrin Danner

Member # 110

posted 05-14-2002 07:37 PM     Profile for Terrin Danner   Author's Homepage   Email Terrin Danner     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
"Maybe then there is nothing you can do to help me and we should be on our way before too much time is lost," Terrin said at length, his eyes not losing too much of the fire that was in them. "But it truly eludes me how you can turn your back on someone you've called a friend.

"And it's not just my loss we're talking about here, sir. Galen's already lost her child. She's been taken time and time again, by the Sith and by the Imperials. And every moment we spend figuring out who has taken her and where is another moment we spend trying to find her daughter. I simply cannot find Galen's little girl without her, and I believe Jedi Petrolu would concur that he couldn't find her without Galen's motherly instinct and Force-connection with the little girl either."

Terrin paused a moment, frowning. "I was hoping you would be concerned about your friend enough to at least identify this bounty hunter for me. But I guess I was mistaken."

Winding to a close, Terrin simply stood there another moment or so, waiting to see if Seus had anything else to offer.

[ 05-14-2002 07:40 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Terrin Danner ]

--------------------

~~Galen

Galen

Free Spirit

Member # 28

posted 05-14-2002 07:39 PM     Profile for Galen   Author's Homepage   Email Galen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I awoke from the depths of some dark and pain-filled void in increments, gradually stepping away from the darkness and bit by bit approaching the light... which welcomed me back into the realm of the living with the most vicious headache I had ever felt in my life. Groaning, I sat up, one hand flying to my aching head as I did my best to blink the double vision away.

Who--? Wha--?

It hit me with the inescapable certainty of death.

Sorben. That was Sorben who had come from nowhere, who had downed Terrin and Shawn and Jasyn, and who had....

That thought trailed off as clarity hit me square between the eyes. Oh dear gods, Sorben...!

With that I gave my head another shake, and hauled myself groggily to my feet. It took a couple more blinks to clear my vision, but thank Khaandon it finally did. Balancing my headache with care, I turned my gaze about me, trying to figure just where in Hell's Seven Circles I was now.

Khaandon girl, but you're beginning to develop a bad habit of this kind of thing...!

Before my eyes there resolved into focus what appeared to be a cargo hold. It was fairly empty; there were only a couple modular storage units snugged neatly against one bulkhead. Other than that, the only little item was the Force Cage in the middle of the hold...

...the one I was finding myself in the middle of, at the moment.

I sighed and let my head drop down against my chest. Oh no, it couldn't be; it just couldn't be true....

"Hello, babes," that light devil-may-care tone of voice came wafting quietly into my ears. "It's been awhile, hasn't it?"

I turned around, slowly, the speed one turns when trapped within the most hideous of nightmares where one just knows that no matter what one does, nothing is going to help. Slowly... slowly, until at last I found my gaze falling upon a remarkably familiar T-visored helmet.

Sorben fell into silence, merely staring at me inscrutably. Then he let out a grunt of bitter laughter.

"You're looking remarkably fit for a new mother," he commented lightly, then fell silent again, his twin black lenses pouring into my soul.

I found myself shivering uncontrollably. Dammit, but I wish I could see into his eyes....

--------------------

Posts: 1459 | From: | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.195.203
Seus

unregistered

posted 05-14-2002 08:03 PM       Edit/Delete Post
The longest few seconds in the known universe passed slowly between Terrin and the dimunitive Seus. Then the Guild Administrator abruptly turned his back; although he held his head held high as he stared once more out the window, his entire aspect seemed to somehow...shrink.

Heartbeats filled the room. Jasyn shuffled his feet, Shawn tilted his head slightly and sent a quiet cough into the stillness.

Seus's rounded shoulders rounded more, then his voice quietly broke the pregnant moment.

"I can tell you nothing more than this, Captain Danner." Now he turned and straightened again, his gaze firmly interlocked with Terrin's baby blues. "And that is that we have not heard hide nor hair of Sorben Tarnus for over a year, a year in which much of... interest has come into our eyes and ears concerning your fiance and her new... lifestyle.

"All accounts he has had here with us have been mysteriously... and sadly to say, untraceably... liquidated. He seems to have fallen into a veritable black hole; even his best friend, Master Quee, cannot discern his whereabouts.

"When you showed up with Galen, I thought--" He broke off for a moment, and merely stared at Terrin again. Then he pursed his lips in a wry and somehow sad little smile.

"I thought that time had reversed itself, and all was back as it should be once again. But it's not. Indeed, it most certainly is not...."

He let the thought trail into enigma as he now headed for the double doors, opening them and then turning to Terrin and his companions.

"I said I cannot divulge much to you. But I will say this: Sorben Tarnus is reknowned for the Mandalorian helmet he wears. He so much fancies himself a clone of that master, Boba Fett... so much so that none other of my guild, at least, are allowed to wear such armament.

"And now, gentlemen, if you please." He indicated the open doors with a polite wave of his hand. "The hour is late, and as you yourself have indicated, time is rushing past all too quickly."

He paused as, after glancing back and forth between themselves, the three men began to walk reluctantly toward the open doorway. As they came abreast of him, he reached out a hand and placed it on Terrin's shoulder.

"Believe me when I say I cannot divulge any more to you," he said so softly that not even Shawn's keen Jedi ears overheard. Seus peered meaningfully up into Danner's widening eyes, nodding to underscore the odd emphasis he placed on the one word. Then he drew back, and ushered the men from his office and into Freel's anxiously waiting hands.

The stately double doors closed once again with a nearly silent whoosh.

Seus

unregistered

posted 05-14-2002 08:27 PM       Edit/Delete Post
Seus stared for a long moment at the closed door, his gaze unfocused. Then there came an annoyingly persistent bleep, which at length captured enough of his attention to force his legs into motion. He turned and went back to his desk, seating himself before keying up the holo-screen set sleekly into the top of the richly gnarled wood.

An image even more enigmatic merely stared up at him.

He swallowed, at all costs maintaining the air of impenetrable calm which had come to be his trademark. Yet he somehow knew his racing heart was clearly heard by the shadowy personage on his screen.

"I told him nothing of import," Seus offerred at length. Another pregnant pause followed. Then--

"It would indeed be best for you if you have not."

The holo-screen blanked, leaving Seus alone with his thoughts...

...which were in themselves far from easy ones.

[ 05-14-2002 08:28 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Seus ]

Terrin Danner

Member # 110

posted 05-14-2002 08:40 PM     Profile for Terrin Danner   Author's Homepage   Email Terrin Danner     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Terrin frowned blackly trying to piece together the information that had been inferred to him, confusion and worry and something else running amok in his psyche.

One statement in particular kept running through his brain, and although it probably didn't mean a thing in connection with finding Galen, it still bothered him: "I can tell you nothing more than this, Captain Danner. And that is that we have not heard hide nor hair of Sorben Tarnus for over a year, a year in which much of... interest has come into our eyes and ears concerning your fiance and her new... lifestyle."

Now what the hell did that mean? Did these people honestly think Galen had left Sorben and later joined with him because he could provide more stability?

WHO THE HELL CARED WHAT THEY THOUGHT ANYWAY?

"Terrin," Shawn said, breaking Terrin's thoughts.

Terrin cocked a brow at the shorter man.

"I think we can be fairly certain the bounty hunter that just jumped us and took off with Galen is Sorben Tarnus."

Terrin actually rolled his eyes. "No duh," he said. "But that helps us find her how?" Then, an idea suddenly popping into his head, he asked, "Can you sense her?"

Shawn must have been expecting this, and seemingly braced himself for Terrin's reaction to his reply. "No, I can't."

Terrin closed his eyes in a movement that borderlined on complete defeat.

"She's not dead," Shawn said softly.

"So," Jasyn said, filling in the quiet gaps, "minus the Force and and really good trail, how are we going to find her?"

Shawn turned his calm gaze to the other man. "Back to using your head instead of Force-instincts. You guys have been doing this long before I showed up with a great deal of success; I believe we can make use of your expertise and...resources and get the best results."

Opening his eyes, Terrin nodded. "Allright. Let's get to the ZZ'Shzq and get the hell off this planet. Maybe by then we'll have some sort of game plan."

Or at least some sort of clue as to what the Hell is going on here in the first place...

--------------------

~~Galen

All times are CT
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Topic Closed  Topic Closed
Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e