my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
»  The Holonet Boards   » Role Playing   » Complete Star Wars Universe   » To the Other Side of the Universe (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Printable Version
Author Topic: To the Other Side of the Universe
Terrin Danner

Exceptional Salesman turned Really Nice Guy

Member # 110

posted 09-22-2001 04:22 PM     Profile for Terrin Danner   Author's Homepage   Email Terrin Danner     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
It didn't matter that negotiation wasn't an option anymore. He didn't plan to negotiate in the first place. He'd be damned before he gave up the one thing in the universe that meant more than anything else ever possibly could.
And all she needed was to say the word, to give him a clue about what to do, and it would be done.

"Matt, are our hyperspace coordinates set and locked in?"

"Yes sir!" the other said, obviously eager to get out of the area.

"Good. Set the silent counter at five seconds so that all ships can know our intent yet we can keep our ships together. We're getting out of here, now," he said, fire shooting through his eyes.

In only a moment, maybe not even half a second, Matt nodded. "It's set. It's now or never."

Five, four...

Terrin held his breath, and prayed that at least for this moment they could evade the enemy and be safe...

Three, two, one...

Unconciously, he closed his eyes, and found that he was holding onto Galen for dear life, as though to keep her with him regardless of the outcome. He'd seen her emotion, her distress, he knew that she was afraid. He wanted to deny that he was too and be the solid one, but he didn't know how much longer that would last.

The Hornett didn't even lurch, but smoothly glided into a higher speed.

Hyperspace. Without even having his eyes open, Terrin knew what it felt like.

He opened his eyes and sighed with relief, finding that Galen had assumed much the same demeanor as he had.

And everyone on deck was watching, probably wondering what the heck had gotten into him...how he had become so emotional and so blatantly obvious about it. In the midst of the horror of the situation, he smiled, not caring one whit about what they thought or wondered.

"Matt, are all ships accounted for?" he finally asked.

After a minute or two of checking, the other nodded. "Yes, everyone made it out in time. And we are all on course."

"Good." Then it occurred to him. On course to where? "And where might we be going?"

Matt grinned, the first sign of amusement on his face that Terrin had seen since he reached deck. "Oh, just the other side of the known galaxy from here. We'll be in hyperspace for quite some time, but everyone was ready for this, so it'll be fine."

"Nice work. Now, as much as I'd like to get some sleep, I think we have some discussing to do first. We can't be caught off gaurd like that a second time. We won't be that lucky twice."

--------------------

"Where's the horns, flyboy?"
~~Galen
It is a far greater thing to live a life with purpose and risk death than to simply live.~~CMH

Posts: 1187 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 65.80.105.168
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-22-2001 06:41 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Very well, my dear. In a final burst against an earlier vow, she reached out her blackness, sought her blood-sister, reached into her brain and allowed the words to be seeded there. You elude me yet again. So be it... for now.

But know this: you cannot run far enough. You cannot hide from me forever. I will have the Child... and you, my sweet, sweet sister...

The final horrific words sussurating like the hiss of a snake, she withdrew from the mind she had so easily entered. Somewhere in hyperspace, Galen shivered, as her fear grew unthinkably deeper.

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.199.178
Galen

Free Spirit

Member # 28

posted 09-22-2001 07:28 PM     Profile for Galen   Author's Homepage   Email Galen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
It wasn't the words so much; Khaandon knows I'd heard them before, too many times in fact....

It was the sensation of pure an unrelenting Evil they rode in upon. That horrific feeling stampeded through my brain, into my very soul, sending a great outrush of blind terror rippling outward, taking with it my very being, my very mentality, my very self.

I may have let out a little sigh. If so, I was quite unaware of it.

My hands released their grip about Terrin, and flew to my temples. They squeezed there, striving to force the hideously insidious evil from my being, but It would have none of it.

Like some sort of noxious black oil, it flowed thickly out and through me, covered my vision both inner and outer, and before I could plead to my love for assistance my personal view of the Universe went black....

--------------------

"Sure as there is Treasure on Roon...."

Posts: 1456 | From: | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.199.178
Terrin Danner

Member # 110

posted 09-22-2001 10:06 PM     Profile for Terrin Danner   Author's Homepage   Email Terrin Danner     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
As soon as he'd gotten his last words out, Galen suddenly released her grip on him and grabbed her temples. He could feel her quivering, and he saw fear beyond his comprehension in her big brown eyes.

Before she could get a word out to explain to him what was in her head, she went limp. A wave of shock flashed through him but he regained enough sanity to catch her before she fell to the floor. "Galen!" he called, his voice intense and full of worry. She did not come back to him.

Distressed, he picked her up in his arms, addressing everyone on deck. "I gotta get to the medical floor," he said. "Those that are on duty keep an eye out for any other trouble. Everyone else return to your quarters, but stay on alert."

With that, he turned, and headed away to the turbolift.

As he did, she stirred, and he stopped in response to her movement.

"Galen," he said, gazing down at her face, her eyes still closed but fluttering a little. "Come on...please..I need you..."

--------------------

~~Galen
It is a far greater thing to live a life with purpose and risk death than to simply live.~~CMH

Posts: 1187 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 65.80.105.168
Galen

Free Spirit

Member # 28

posted 09-23-2001 02:50 PM     Profile for Galen   Author's Homepage   Email Galen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Flashes of images... murmurs of voices... sensation of drifting, floating... so nice to float...

Float?

A small yet unconscious frown creased my features as I realized on an instinctive level that I was not planted firmly on Terra Firma.... It deepened as I slowly realized that the reason for this odd sensation was because I was being carried.

Carried? Where?

And more importantly, why?

My eyes fluttered a little as they strove to open, to determine exactly what was wrong with my immediate circumstances. After a few false starts, they succeeded. I blinked a couple times, trying to clear the fog from my vision.

Directly in that line of vision, a nice enough looking pair of eyes stared down at me. The were as blue as the Sun which warmed my home.

Home. Dad? Where's Dad? Where in Hell's Seven Circles AM I?

I struggled a bit against the grasp upon me... Oh Great Khaandon, I was being carried by the owner of those blue eyes! I didn't seem to sense any immediate danger, but the fact did remain that I was totally at odds with what was surrounding me at the moment, was apparently coming to from being unconscious...

Due to WHAT?

...and was being carried away somewhere. Enough variables were suddenly given values for me to do the math; with a loud and hopefully frightening yell, I immediately began kicking and writhing and flailing and hitting, as violently as I could.

It worked. In an almost instinctive reaction, the blue-eyed stranger dropped me. I fell to the floor...

Of the, SHIP?!

...with a resounding whump. There I leapt to my feet, backing up to a nearby console of some kind, and went into a defensive crouch. My eyes flew about, taking in the unfamiliar surroundings.

Several people stood in what looked to be shock, staring at me, their mouths agape. None more so than the blue-eyed man, however. He looked as though he was ready to cry.

There is the weak link, then! I told myself, tensing even further. My hands lifted to defend myself; I fixed his rapidly moistening eyes with my own, and tried to look as dangerous as I could.

"Who ARE you people?!" I finally blurted, really not expecting any answer. "And where in the name of Khaandon am I?"

--------------------

Posts: 1456 | From: | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.195.207
Terrin Danner

Member # 110

posted 09-23-2001 04:59 PM     Profile for Terrin Danner   Author's Homepage   Email Terrin Danner     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
The world was spinning out of control.

"It's me, Terrin. Galen, you're on my ship..the Hornett."

She continued to glare, and he felt like melting into the bulkhead of the shuttle. Instead he backed away instinctively.

I'm losing her, he thought. What the hell just happened?

The voices inside him were all screaming for him to back away further, to leave her alone, but something else deep within told him that would surely be the wrong thing to do.

"Terrin..." he heard Matt start.

"Stand back," he heard himself spit out. He hadn't meant to snap so, but the stress of the moment had him on edge.

Slowly, he crouched til he was at eye level with her. She glared at him and put her hands up as if to defend herself.

"I'm not going to hurt you," he said, softly.

She seemed to consider this, but still obviously had no idea who he was.

She needs some space, but she needs to know that I'm a good guy...not a bad guy.

As he crouched on the floor, only a few meters away from her, he began to move closer. She kept her hands up, but furrowed her brow, as though trying to place him in her mind.

"Remember our trip out of Ambria?" he asked, trying to make surroundings familiar. He searched for something memorable, something that might trigger her thoughts. "You really flew my little shuttle the Eagle fast. You busted out of there so fast," he added, smiling a little, "You made me sick to my stomach."

All along, he carefully moved closer. She had finally dropped her hands, and instead was evaluating him thoughtfully.

Sithspit, I hope she's remembering.

Finally, he was in reach of her. He reached for her hands, and at first she jerked away, clearly still not sure who the hell he was. He knew he shouldn't move too fast, but he felt his touch was necessary to pull her back into reality. He gazed at her unwaveringly, searching her big brown eyes for recognition.

What was that? A spark perhaps?

Suddenly, Galen made a move Terrin was so surprised by that he flinched a moment. He would have expected her to lash out and punch him or get up and run from him, but instead, she took his hands, still gazing at him.

A few quiet moments passed, and everyone on deck seemed to be frozen in time, Terrin and Galen included.

He wondered how much he should tell her just yet, and how much she was remembering.

Best not to be too hasty just yet, his mind told him.

"Galen, it's me, Terrin." He knew, he'd said that before. "I want to take you to the medical wing and get you checked out. You passed out on me when we went into hyperspace after evading the Sith shuttle. That's where we were going before," he explained. She listened, and he hoped to goodness he was getting through. "I'm worried about you..."

He paused there and quieted, watching her every move with his deep blue eyes, searching for any sign of remembrance. At last, he thought he saw what might be a smile, and she began to speak...

[ 09-23-2001 05:03 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Terrin Danner ]

--------------------

~~Galen

Galen

Free Spirit

Member # 28

posted 09-23-2001 05:50 PM     Profile for Galen   Author's Homepage   Email Galen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
He knows me. This guy KNOWS me....

That revelation was enough to let me stand down somewhat from the high alert my body had put itself into the moment full consciousness had come back to me. I still didn't quite know who this man was, yet there was something familiar....

I slowed my breathing, feeling my hearbeat slow accordingly, as he cautiously held out his hands to me. Obviously he wasn't intending to do me any harm; acting on sudden impulse, I reached out before I could change my mind and took his hands in mine.

Khaandon, but his touch felt good... so warm, and somehow familiar....

I frowned a little, concentrating on what he had said. Something about...

"S-Sith?" I whispered, whether to this man who called himself Terrin or to myself I didn't know. "Sith? They really are here? Is that why I'm here? Did you hire Dad to help you with something about them? That's his field of expertise, you know.

"Where is he?"

Now I grasped this man's hands with renewed strength, looking eagerly into his eyes as I slowly stood up.

It was so terribly, terribly important to find Dad....

[ 09-23-2001 05:54 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Galen ]

--------------------

Posts: 1456 | From: | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.200.28
Terrin Danner

Member # 110

posted 09-23-2001 06:20 PM     Profile for Terrin Danner   Author's Homepage   Email Terrin Danner     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
He stood up with her, listening to every word.

She's back in time somewhere, he thought to himself. Then it dawned on him. She remembers the Sith, but she doesn't know that...

His eyes flashed with concern as she looked up at him hopefully. How the hell was he supposed to tell her, in this state, that her dad was dead?

Reality is important, the little voice inside his head reminded him. "Galen," he started, trying to figure out what to say and how to say it. He felt like eyes everywhere were boring into him. "You and I met on Ambria where I hired you to fly me off planet in return for taking you with me. The Sith...or rather one Sith has been here."

He paused. Should he mention that Sith was her sister?

"You told me on our trip out of Ambria that her name is Graysith, and she is your sister..." he managed, reading hurt in her eyes. He wanted to take her in his arms and console her, but it was too soon just yet. "She...is after you and she..." he stopped again, feeling her body tense. "She killed your father."

Suddenly, she jerked away from him, and ran from the command deck. He'd anticipated the move, with the shock of what he had to tell her. He glanced over at Matt who was still standing there frozen. "Get everyone back to their posts!" he ordered harshly. Then he headed off deck after her.

He walked only a short distance away from the command deck when he found her, huddled in a corner with her head down and shaking with sobs. He didn't even hesitate to sit next to her and place a hand on her knees.

She looked up at him with a tear stained face, the shock still evident. But she didn't seem thrown by his presence anymore.

Something told him she needed him to comfort her, even if she couldn't quite remember who he was.

Slowly, he wrapped his arms around her and pulled her in close. She didn't resist him doing so, which he took at least as a bit of a good sign. She buried her head in his chest, still occasionally shaking from the sobs.

After a few minutes, she looked up at him with those beautiful brown eyes of hers, examinng every feature of his face, probably still trying to figure out who the hell he was and why the hell he cared so much.

Heck, he'd even surprised himself.

She reached up and brushed her eyes with one hand, rubbing the tears away. She started to say something, but paused a moment, still looking him over measuringly.

"What is it, Galen?" he asked, turning a little towards her. And then, he waited...

--------------------

~~Galen

Galen

Free Spirit

Member # 28

posted 09-23-2001 06:52 PM     Profile for Galen   Author's Homepage   Email Galen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Dad... dead? No, no; that just couldn't be; this guy, whoever he is, he's trying to scare me... well he succeeded, Khaandon, oh dear Khaandon it can't be true, he has to be making it up... Dad...

DEAD.

The terrible words slammed into me with the heavy impetus of Truth. For a moment I felt as though an SSD had likewise slammed into me; slowly I began to shake my head from side to side, knowing somehow that if I did this enough it would make it not be true...

Please Khaandon, make it not be true!

And my sister? The one who killed him? Jharmeen? Ridiculous! Jharmeen wouldn't do this; not my sister! She was as incapable of this as much as she was incapable of looking the other way when anyone was hurt. She might be a little on the self-centered side, but deep down I know her heart was good, could not perceive of her harboring the evil necessary to do this terrible thing this man was claiming she did....

Evil.

In a miasma of black, it roiled before my inner eye. No, not merely black; rather the very definition of it: the absence of all Color. All Light.

Yet Color was there in the midst of it; deep and hideous crimson, like fresh blood, newly spilled. It continued to roil upon my inner lids, now taking on a deeper hue, now lightening up to that reflected in the heart of fire...

...and through it all, I saw Her. Jharmeen. No, not Jharmeen; what was it she called herself now? Graysith.

That was it; Graysith... she, the one who-- who killed...

I could take it no longer. Memories more than a year old slashed into my conscious thought in an unbearable flood, newly opened, as fresh and raw as if they had just happened yesterday. Uttering a little gasp, I let instinct give wings to my feet; in blind despair and anguish I took off running, away, far away, anywhere but here, where memories continued to mount and laugh and taunt me.

I didn't get far. Shooting through the nearest door, I got barely 20 meters down the corridor when I collapsed into a huddled ball, conceding to the strength of the inner turmoil that was raging within me.

That, dear Khaandon, She had implanted inside me!

Now an oddly shining darkness of my own rose from nowhere in defense. It reared in reflective and ebon splendor, seeking the roiling crimson-shot absence of light, and sought to cover it with its own essence. A portion of it touched the Black... and deep within my psyche, something even Darker and more Terrible yowled.

Not from fear. Not out of pain. Rather, from a sense of...

Betrayal.

Sobbing openly now, tears flooding unheeded down my face, I gave a final little shudder, finding this within me. Faced it openly myself for what it was, and where it came from. For what it truly represented.

And removed all the stopgaps and let it run amok in my psyche.

It reared the banner of Memories and charged.

That awful bloody Absence stood trembling but for a moment... and fled.

I came to myself, with the knowledge that a warm presence was beside me, a hand upon my knee, blue eyes full of concern and fright and love peering deeply into my tear-filled ones, seeking an answer, explanation...

I reached a hand up, brushed the hair from my face... and exploded into tears myself as I threw my arms around Terrin and held him as though I would never let him go. He responded immediately by wrapping me in his own arms and standing up, cradling me to his body. There he remained, crying a bit with me, seeking to calm us both, rocking me gently as though I was some kind of infant...

...which in a manner of speaking, I suddenly and quite terribly realized that I was. Oh Khaandon, I can't tell him this yet, he won't understand, I don't even understand it completely myself!

I buried my face in the hollow of his neck, hearing the sound of approaching footsteps as Matt came up, concern evident in his voice. I totally ignored his queries as to how we were; all I could do was hang onto Terrin like drowning man hangs onto a rope, and murmur against his neck, uttering those very words I so desperately did not want to speak...

"This is who we are up against, Terrin! THIS is what she can do! What I can do! Great Khaandon, don't stop loving me for what I can do...!

[ 09-23-2001 07:06 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Galen ]

--------------------

Posts: 1456 | From: | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.200.58
Terrin Danner

Member # 110

posted 09-23-2001 07:39 PM     Profile for Terrin Danner   Author's Homepage   Email Terrin Danner     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Terrin continued to hold her and let her cry.

Matt, who was obviously concerned, came from the main deck. "Are you allright?" he asked quietly.

Terrin couldn't snap at him, not now. After all, Matt had been his assistant and he had always been one to listen. But still, he was sure Galen needed time to sort things out, away from prying eyes and ears.

"We'll be allright, I think," he replied quietly.

Matt acknowledged, and headed back for them main deck, seeming to understand that Terrin needed him to fill in more than anything right now. He'd probably check back later, which was fine.

As he left, Galen whispered in a panick, "This is who we are up against, Terrin! THIS is what she can do! What I can do! Great Khaandon, don't stop loving me for what I can do...!"

He frowned, and pulled back from her only slightly, still keeping his arms around her but providing enough distance so that he could see her face. "Never," he said firmly. "I said I loved you, and I meant it regardless of what happens."

He wondered if there was something more, something she wasn't telling him just yet. He wouldn't be surprised, but suddenly it felt very important to him to understand everything that she was going through, no matter how horrifying it was. It was an odd feeling to him, one he'd never experienced and really couldn't explain. But even in the horror of past few minutes, nothing had felt better than having her at his side.

He WANTED to understand everything that she was.

Then something else occurred to him. What did she mean, what she could do? She hadn't done this...what made her think she had? Or was there, again, something else that he didn't know or didn't understand just yet?

Damn it all, he wanted to understand!

"Galen," he started, realizing that he was pretty much doing all the talking. "Can you explain to me...what this is...that you think you can do? And why?"

She seemed hesitant, but he let the question hang in the open for a moment. Then he added. "If you can't just yet, I'll understand. But I want more than anything to know what it is that is troubling you so."

She nodded, and he began to lead her back to the Red Level living quarters, where he and she both could at least freshen up. Sleep didn't seem to be in the picture for the night.

"You...scared me," he continued. "You didn't have the first clue who I was there for a few minutes. It was like..."

He stopped, frowning. What was it like?

"Like something had taken hold of you. Was it her? And..." he started, hesitating, but knowing he had to ask. Something didn't quite fit still. "Why, if she is so angry at you for killing her child, did she come in and demand you in exchange for Shayla instead of just blasting my shuttles where they sat?"

--------------------

~~Galen

Galen

Free Spirit

Member # 28

posted 09-23-2001 11:30 PM     Profile for Galen   Author's Homepage   Email Galen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I sat on the couch where-- Khaandon, had it been yesterday? Or had it been mere hours earlier?-- Terrin and I had professed our new love for each other. I was so happy then, so filled with warmth and security, and... assurety.

Now....

I looked down at my feet, pursing my lips as my thoughts ran rampant through my head. Terrin's last words to me accompanied the dull feeling inside me, ringing in my head like some kind of solemn knell.

Oh Terrin, I didn't want you to know, not yet...

Directly on the heels of that thought: Who in Hells Seven Circles did I think I was kidding?

I sighed; felt the cushion depress next to me as Terrin sat down upon it. His gentle touch came to me like the kiss of a Kessel bogey: light, almost incorporeal, but most definitely there. I smiled a wan little smile, and leaned into his solid warmth. Bless his soul, he didn't press. He just put an arm around me and encouraged me to trust in him.

Trust. Khaandon, I trusted him; would trust him with my life... and that of my baby's. It was myself I was worried about.

Suddenly angry at the hand Fate had dealt me, I got to my feet. Hot tears brimmed in my eyes, blurring the concern in Terrin's face. I began to pace his quarters, my undirected anger growing in leaps and bounds.

Then I thought of that... Darkness I had discovered inside me... thought of it in connection with my mounting rage... and squelched it with a little sob. My legs went suddenly rubber, and I dropped where I stood, sitting cross-legged on the floor, my face in my hands.

Sheesh, girl! a very effronted part of me snorted in disgust. What in Hell's Circles are you acting like this for? This isn't like you at all; Sorben wouldn't stand for it, Terrin oughtn't to either...

...you know Dad never liked your occasional histrionics....

I threw back my head, swallowing my tears with a choked garble, and from my position on the floor looked at Terrin. He was watching me, concern etched deeply in lines that had suddenly appeared on his strong face. Dear Khaandon... I had placed them there....

At last I quieted, drawing in a deep breath. For a moment I could only look down into my lap, my mouth and hands working nervously. How in all that existed was I gonna begin?

Just do what Dad always told you to do. Just say it.

With a sudden resolve that surprised me, I looked Terrin squarely in the eye.

"I'm pregnant," I began, not a little touch of defiance tinting the tone of my voice. "Th- the baby is Sorben's, yes. But it's not going to be just any baby."

I paused for a moment, flashing back to the day when Du'bus had divulged the secret of my pregnancy, of the glorious strength in the child I carried... as well as within the one carried by my sister...

...and how that strength had come into being.

Now I lowered my head a bit. My voice lowered as well as I continued.

"Some- something happened that day when... when Jharmeen was... changed," I faltered. "Something made her into what she now is; something ancient and evil; something I cannot understand, and really have no wish to ever understand. But something I have to understand, for it's in me too."

I jerked my head back to pin Terrin's widening eyes with my own. Once more his image was dissolving into a watery blur; thank Khaandon, for I don't know if I even wanted to read the expression I could imagine was on his face. Somehow I found the strength to continue, to say it all, to open up and lay out all my fears.

Please don't let this drive him away from me!

"Today, my sister... I mean, Graysith was in my mind. I could feel her there, taking me over, taking my personality, wanting to destroy that part of me before she would later come to kill my physical being. To kill the baby? Maybe; probably not. Her's was to be just as strong; I think she wants mine to replace hers.

"But she had me, Terrin. Squarely. And with a strength and... evil I can't even begin to describe it. Dark Black. All the nasties in the Universe rolled up into one package and stuck into my head."

I paused another moment, blinking back tears. "Bu-but something within me saved me, Terrin. Something I didn't know was there. Something just as dark; Terrin, I wanted to kill her for what she was doing to me, for how she is threatening us! And- and this, this evil came from nowhere, just came along and drove her out of me!

"Terrin, I'm afraid I'm going to become like her...."

--------------------

Posts: 1456 | From: | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.199.33
Terrin Danner

Member # 110

posted 09-24-2001 12:49 AM     Profile for Terrin Danner   Author's Homepage   Email Terrin Danner     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Sure, the news shocked Terrin. People in other people's minds...babies with Force abilities...

But the anger and hurt he usually would have felt just wasn't there.

So she was pregnant. So? Deal with it. You said you loved her no matter what, and you meant it.

Finally, he arose and wandered over to where she was sitting on the floor. Instead of pulling her up from it, he plopped down right next to her--he'd done too much standing for one night.

What time was it anyway? he wondered, yawning. He hoped she didn't think he was yawning because he was bored of listening to her. It was anything but that. Suddenly, he just felt very tired. But he pushed that thought aside for the moment and focused his eyes on her.

Sitting on the floor, legs crossed, made him feel like a kid again. He smiled at that thought momentarily, but then, as he looked her over, he realized how very upset she was. "Galen," he said at last. "All I've seen from you is a good person. We all have our weaknesses, sure. I'm no Jedi and have no Force sensitivity at all, but I would believe that the need to stomp out evil is natural and acceptable. And your sister is, after all, after your child, so it makes sense you would be extra defensive."

He stopped there for a bit, wondering what else he might should add. Then the little voice of his demon-on-the-shoulder piped up, saying something that he'd been keeping closed off in the far corners of his mind. What do you think you can offer a kid with Force ability anyway?

Terrin fought the urge to roll his eyes and say "Not you again."

It didn't matter what he had to offer. All that mattered was that he loved Galen, and she loved him. Everything else was beside the point.

Besides, the last thing he wanted to do right now, when Galen needed him to listen to her, was to try to bring himself back into the center of attention by mumbling about how he could and couldn't help this child.

THAT was an accomplishment.

Suddenly he had the urge to hide Galen away and protect her from this insane sister of hers, but the wandering thought was stopped dead in its tracks when he realized there was no way he could do that. Galen wouldn't have it anyway. He'd have to trust her to know what to do, as she already had, even at her own expense.

"I will do everything in my power to help you and the baby," he said finally, realizing he'd been musing for at least a minute or two. "All you need do is tell me what you need me to do, and it will be done."

[ 09-24-2001 12:53 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Terrin Danner ]

--------------------

~~Galen

Galen

Free Spirit

Member # 28

posted 09-24-2001 01:10 AM     Profile for Galen   Author's Homepage   Email Galen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
He would do anything to help me and my baby. All I had to do was tell him, and it would be done....

I sniffed, blinked, stared at the floor. My mouth opened; no words came out.

I didn't dare let them.

I want you to make this all go away. I want you to tell ME what to do. I want us to be ANYWHERE but where we are heading... I want a future with you.

Great Khaandon, I want this baby to be yours....

Finally I lifted my head to face Terrin, and stared him straight in the eye. The sudden thought of how ridiculous we probably looked flashed into my mind; I smiled a little at the incongruity of it all. Then I leaned against him, laid my head against his shoulder.

"Ok, love," I began, stifling a yawn myself. "Here's order number One. I think we'd better go to bed...

"AND--!" I drew back and fixed him with a look straight out of the "old Galen" repertoire. "Get some sleep. We're gonna need it."

I let him stand up, drawing me up and into his embrace as I finished the words. His arm around me, we headed off to his bed. I savored in the luxurious and totally natural feeling of that mere moment, going off to sleep with my beloved.

And in doing so, fought down the rising terror that strove to intervene in this quiet moment. He doesn't understand, the insidious voice whispered silkily. He cannot see.

It is not a part of you that defeated Graysith's attempt to commandeer your mind. It was a part of the evil which made HER, planted in you... and only now becoming incorporated into your very being.

Isn't it?

I shuddered a little, smiling and pretending to be cold when Terrin inquired... let him deposit me upon his bed and settle himself beside me. Soon the room filled with his gently stentorian snores as he passed off into slumber.

I knew it would be quite some time before I joined him.

--------------------

Posts: 1456 | From: | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.199.33
Terrin Danner

Member # 110

posted 09-24-2001 09:05 AM     Profile for Terrin Danner   Author's Homepage   Email Terrin Danner     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Beeping.

What the hell was that beeping?

Terrin rolled over from his back to his stomach, forcing one eye open to glance at his nightstand.

You gotta be kidding me, he thought, realizing the source of the noise was his comlink on the nightstand beside him. The noise didn't seem to have woken Galen up, and he wanted to keep it that way. He knew she'd had trouble getting to sleep even though he had dropped off pretty easily.

Damn it all, he didn't want her disturbed. HE didn't want to be disturbed.

Irritated, he grabbed the ever-beeping comlink, stumbled out of the bed, and managed to quietly trip his way into his living area, where he plopped down on the couch and thumbed the comlink on. "What the hell are you doing, calling this hour?" he snapped, not really caring who it was.

"But Terrin, it's noon!" Matt answered from the other end.

Oops.

But Terrin didn't care. They'd be in hyperspace for a few days, so they could certainly afford a day to rest up after hopping off Ambria and having such a strange night full of so many different emotions...ranging from love to terror...

Terrin stifled a yawn. "Sorry, Matt," he said finally. "Did you need something?"

"No," the other one replied. "I just wanted to check on you...and Galen. After last night and all."

Terrin smiled a little. Typical Matt.

"Yeah..uh...we're fine."

We? That was really subtle. Not that everyone on deck last night couldn't figure it out.

"Glad to hear it," Matt said.

"Matt, did you get any sleep last night?" Terrin asked, suddenly wondering.

"Yeah, a little. Not much though. Oh-I also wanted to check in and see if you still wanted to have some sort of planning meeting."

Poor guy, he's probably pretty tired. "Uh...yeah. But later. It's been a long night. I'll let everyone know when I'm ready to do that. Meanwhile, you have someone else take command and get some more rest yourself. Got it?"

"Okay. I'll do that. But let me know if you need anything."

"Sure," Terrin said, yawning. "I'll catch up with you later."

With that, Terrin flicked the comlink off, set it on the couch and got up. For a moment, he thought of leaving it there.

After what happened last night, that probably wasn't a good idea.

Reluctantly, he picked it up and carried it back in the bedroom, where Galen laid in a little ball still fast asleep.

Sleep...I could use some more sleep.

Quietly, he laid back down, nestled in close to her warm body, and closed his eyes.

One more hour of sleep would be good...

[ 09-24-2001 10:01 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Terrin Danner ]

--------------------

~~Galen

Galen

Free Spirit

Member # 28

posted 09-24-2001 12:14 PM     Profile for Galen   Author's Homepage   Email Galen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I lay in a little ball, jarred awake by the commlink's insistent buzz, keenly aware of Terrin's movements in response to that buzz. I felt the bed shift as he stumbled from it, heard his footsteps retreat with the sound of his voice as, talking to Matt-- it had to be Matt-- he left for his living area, his desire to prevent me from being disturbed an obvious one.

Too late. Too much had been suddenly revealed this night. Disturbed I was; I had every right to be. Great Khaandon's Ghost; he'd be disturbed as well had he discovered within himself that which I had found newly lurking within me.

I shivered a little, and hunkered into an even smaller ball, considering. Tried to find Truth amidst my inner turmoil; truth about myself so I would not have to worry about what I was offerring to my new love. Let the floodgates of my recently slashed yet newly strengthened Memory open, and likewise considered all that happened to me since that terrible day on that hidden little dustball of a world....

Once again, before my inner eye, I watched in horrified and helpless pain as my sister's arm rose and fell, rose and fell, the rock in her hand hammering relentlessly against Dad's gentle face, hammering the life from it...

Once more I watched myself, grief narrowing my thoughts and all logic to a laser beam's intense focus as, discovering the Sith ship, I entered, annihilated the surrounded country rock in which Time had imbedded it, and departed to seek vengeance...

Once more I relived the times with Sorben: my rescuing him and K'kihl from certain death at Darth Wicked's hands; our flight but manipulatory landing on yet another Sith planet; combat with that yellow-eyed Hunter, Gravin Dark; our escape from his grasping clutches and the even more cloying grasp of Wicked...

Being followed to Gravin's lair, where once more we managed to escape with our lives.

Our return to the Bounty Hunter's Guild world, a wonderful dress of Kaladorian blue... Quee giving us yet another mission, and our departure upon it, with me an accepted member of that guild as we did so....

The awful events thereafter: Sorben's capture; K'kihl's rescue of me; going back to Quee to return the woman we had rescued at the expense of Sorben's capture... gaining approval, at last, as well as a ship... to return yet once more to that hidden Sith world for yet another ship...

Scouring the Galaxy for Sorben, finding him on Khar Delba... my capture and torture at Her hands, and the eager hands of her Noghri...

Her unexpected release of us....

I rolled onto my back suddenly, a dim little part of me overhearing Terrin's quiet conversation in the other room. The majority of my focus was on the Memories which continued scrolling through my brain, faster and faster, like a runaway battalion intent on the destruction of... something....

The incidents on Rhyll'Argon, my capture there by Gravin Dark, my being taken to H'Del...

My escape, yet again, killing at least two Imperials with my bare hands....

Finding the mysterious D'ubus M'ikilawba; finding sanctuary with him; on the trail with him seeking Desolist, so as to hopefully be reunited with Sorben...

Capture yet again, captivity in Darth Desolist's dank lair on Ploatius; unexpected rescue by D'ubus in the nearly-simultaneous ignition of the Khym Magroo device...

Return to Dalius, there to learn of my pregnancy...

From there to flee, alone again, fleeing Graysith who yet once more hunted me down, fleeing with my unborn child after causing her to lose her own....

I shuddered as that thought rose to taunt me, shying from it and trying to focus now on the rest of the memories, which were in turn downsliding and seguing into more current events. Yet something inside me stood firm, forced my thoughts squarely back to what I was shying away from:

It was all too easy.

Terror and pain and fighting aside; all the evil circumstances I had been thrown into up until this point I had managed to escape with an ease that was almost ridiculous. I was always a good pilot; anyone could ask Dad; he'd be the first to vouch for me. But when in the name of Hell's Seven Circles did I ever become a fighter?

When and how did I ever come across the ability to read Sith?

I sniffed back a tear that slowly leaked from my eye, turning and hunkering back into a little ball as my acute hearing told me of Terrin's imminent return. I felt the bed press down a bit as he settled back beside me; felt his warm body nestling around me. Waited for him to quiet; then carefully disengaged myself from him and climbed out of bed.

I went into the outer room, and sat on the couch. Tried to delve further into my very being, to separate parts of myself that I had been taking for granted for over a year.

Finally decided with a great inhalation of discovery that, though fringe elements of this Blackness might indeed exist within me, it was still up to me, Galen, to determine how it would be used. My eyes hardened and my teeth clenched at the thought which followed directly on the heels of that one.

My baby will be born, no matter what. And I'm gonna kill this "Graysith" for what she has done... and somehow, some way, destroy what Evil she is trying to let loose in the Galaxy....

Something was released in the rush of that rather grandiose plan; the fact that I hadn't much sleep at all finally won out as, unthinking now, I lay back on the cushions where I was sitting, and fell asleep.

[ 09-24-2001 12:53 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Galen ]

--------------------

Posts: 1456 | From: | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.199.161
Terrin Danner

Member # 110

posted 09-24-2001 12:57 PM     Profile for Terrin Danner   Author's Homepage   Email Terrin Danner     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
The next time Terrin awoke, it was due to the fact that there was an empty hole in the spot where Galen had been laying. He frowned and rolled over, glancing at the chrono on his nightstand.

1400 hours, it read. Terrin knew that was late, and suspected that Galen had already gotten up. Still, even with the lateness, he knew he'd probably not slept even eight hours. Besides, his crew knew he was anything but an early riser if he could get out of it.

Finally deciding it was time to get up, he shuffled over to his closet, changed into a clean light blue jumpsuit, then wandered to the 'fresher. He washed his face and wet his hair down a little, not caring too much what he looked like for the moment. Figuring a nice strong cup of caf would really come in handy, he walked out of the bedroom and spotted Galen on his couch, dead asleep.

He frowned again. Had he woken her earlier? Sithspawn, he hoped not.

Quietly, he proceeded into the kitchenette that was connected to the living area, making sure to be extra silent when walking past Galen on the couch. She didn't stir, so he hoped he hadn't roused her yet again.

In only a few minutes, he had a pot of caf brewing, and leaned against the counter thoughtfully. Crossing his arms, he wondered what exactly they were going to do about this Sith. Obviously, Galen knew the most about her, but he wasn't sure after last night how ready she was to deal with all of this. He decided it was best to wait before making any plans.

As he daydreamed, he hadn't noticed Galen sit up in the other room, rub her eyes, and look over at him. Before he knew it, she'd gotten up and wandered over into the kitchenette where he was. In fact, he didn't even notice her til she was a few centimeters away from him.

She smiled up with him, seemingly feeling alot better after her ordeal from the night before, although he was certain she was probably still a bit tired.

He smiled at her. "Hey, stranger," he teased, "How you feeling?"

[ 09-24-2001 01:01 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Terrin Danner ]

--------------------

~~Galen

Posts: 1187 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 139.62.161.207
Galen

Free Spirit

Member # 28

posted 09-24-2001 07:03 PM     Profile for Galen   Author's Homepage   Email Galen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I smiled up at Terrin, inhaling the aroma of the freshly brewed caf. Normally I'm not one for stimulants of any kind, but considering all the events occurring over the last 24 hours, I felt I could give in just this once.

"Is there a cup of that for me?" I asked, indicating the pot with a quirk of my brows as I leaned against Terrin's lean form. He smiled down at me, quickly poured me a cup, and handed it over. I took a sip of the hot caf; mmm, pretty good stuff, tasting better than it had smelled. I bet he served this to all his friends and--

"Stranger?" I queried suddenly, setting the cup down as his teased greeting finally sank home. For a moment I looked up at him, frowning a bit; then my demeanor lightened as I raised the cup to my lips once more.

"Oh, you mean that," I said, smiling around the caf-cup as I indicated the couch with a tilt of my head. "I- uh, I had some thinking to do, and I didn't want to disturb you. You looked pretty spent after what-- after what had happened."

I faltered to a close, closing my mouth around the cup's rim as I took another sip. The frown creased my features again, as I waited for him to say something, to do anything.

A long moment passed which was strangely awkward. Then I heard the small snick as he set his cup down, felt warmth and comfort once again flooding into my body as he placed his arms around me in silence. I leaned into him further, closing my eyes, refusing to let Memory take over as it had earlier.

"I'm- I'm ok now, really Terrin," I whispered, setting my own cup down and turning in his embrace to look up into his eyes. "Whatever it was inside me... I think it's gone."

At least you have it hidden well, ol girl, a grim little voice whispered wickedly in my mind. I did my utter best to ignore it, and continued on.

"We're going to have to devise some kind of battle plan, something, if we're going to get Shayla back, and..." Khaandon, I hoped he didn't catch the pause I couldn't help but put here "...capture Graysith. It's going to be extremely dangerous... but for some reason I think we're gonna succeed."

Nevermind the fact, ol girl, how but mere hours ago you were panicking, utterly terrified by the certainty that indeed, we WOULD NOT, could not ever succeed in this....

"I've had plenty of... experience..." Here I couldn't help but wince strongly, gakk; I KNOW he caught that one! "...in fighting these guys. They're strong, they're powerful, but they're arrogant. If we can get the right weapons, maybe we can beat her after all.

"And stop whatever it is she is planning on doing."

I quietly wound down, realizing there was nothing more I could possibly say at the moment. I merely waited to see what Terrin would say. Was he soon to call for a plan of action... and was I indeed going to be allowed to be part of that?

I had damned better well be! that dark part of me vowed. No matter what he might end up saying or doing, I'm gonna be.

This has gotten to be way beyond personal....

--------------------

Posts: 1456 | From: | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.206.197
Terrin Danner

Member # 110

posted 09-24-2001 10:23 PM     Profile for Terrin Danner   Author's Homepage   Email Terrin Danner     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
"Stranger?" she asked him, a frown evident upon her face. For a moment he tensed.

What does she THINK I mean? He knew exactly what she thought he might have meant. Yikes.

Then she understood, and explained that she'd been doing a lot of thinking.

That really didn't surprise Terrin much. And she didn't want to disturb HIM? After what happened?

"...after what happened," she ended, strangely echoing his thoughts.

What the hell had happened?

Sure, she'd explained some, but he had the distinct feeling that he still wasn't getting it, that there was more to it. He hated how that felt.

Still, some things take time to understand. Time that, for once in his life, he was willing to spend to understand. He wrapped his arms around her, feeling strangely yet wonderfully complete with her near him.

He knew she said she was allright, but he also knew she didn't seem the kind of person to openly admit she was not quite feeling herself until she was ready. Therefore, he dared not press the issue. Not now, anyway.

"We're going to have to devise some kind of battle plan, something, if we're going to get Shayla back, and capture Graysith," Galen stated. "It's going to be extremely dangerous... but for some reason I think we're gonna succeed."

Could they succeed? he wondered. Only mere hours ago Galen had seemed certain they couldn't. But she had said that she thought they could get Shayla. Maybe while thinking about it something else came to her mind?

Again, that was something he'd have to trust her on.

She also said needed to make a plan. Good, she was on the same track with him now. Terrin knew, without even having to check on him, that Matt was ready and waiting for the call to gather everyone for a meeting.

A plan was precisely what they needed.

As she continued to talk, he noticed a clear hesitation...no, more of a wince...when she mentioned the experience she'd had with fighting these types.

Damn, he thought, She's been through a lot. More than he had ever been, even when he thought he was at the worst of times.

He unconciously drew her in closer to him.

"They're strong, they're powerful, but they're arrogant," Galen explained. "If we can get the right weapons, maybe we can beat her after all. And stop whatever it is she is planning on doing."

There she stopped, and he waited a moment just in case she still had something else to say. In the meantime, he began making some mental connections.

Right weapons...

Aaron would be of help for that. Terrin didn't know if any of the things they might need could be made, but if they could they would be. He'd see to it himself if he had to.

Finally, he decided it was time he said something, as Galen was clearly waiting for him to do so anyway.

"We definitely will get on the plan, today," he promised, suddenly shifting to his 'I'm in charge' mode. "Matt's on standby waiting for me to say the word.

I think we'll keep this meeting small--you, me, Matt, and Aaron. Aaron can build just about anything in the way of shuttles you can imagine, and besides, he's the one who knows what weapons and parts to order for the shuttles we already have if we should need to do so. Matt has a good eye for tactics, and besides, he's my assistant and he's earned that position because I trust him to know what I know.

After we have at least a framework of a plan, I'll bring in some of the command crew, just so they'll know the tactics. We have to have some base as to where we are going and what we are planning to do first, though."

Terrin paused there, and bit his lower lip, running through what he'd said and checking to make sure there wasn't anything else that needed to be considered for the moment.

No, I think I got it all.

Suddenly, he realized that he hadn't eaten anything since early the evening before, and that he was starved.

"Before the meeting though, I think," he said, giving her a lopsided-grin, "that we should get something to eat. I might be a whiz at fixing caf, but aside from that and micro-dinners I'm a pretty lousy chef. Maybe, unless you have some other idea, we should get ourselves looking a little more presentable," he said, glancing at her in her nightgown and running one hand through his short blonde hair which had most likely gone wild after drying out, "then get something in the dining hall?"

[ 09-24-2001 10:33 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Terrin Danner ]

--------------------

~~Galen

Posts: 1187 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 66.20.156.245
Galen

Free Spirit

Member # 28

posted 09-24-2001 11:49 PM     Profile for Galen   Author's Homepage   Email Galen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I looked down at myself in automatic reflex to Terrin's last words.

Gakk. Still in my nightgown, and it was... I cast a quick glance to the chronometer... entirely too late in the day to be still in sleeping garb. Nevermind that ships don't experience "days," per se; still, a smoothly operating vessel adheres to planetary time plans. And in this, I heartily agreed with Terrin. I said as much to him, my words punctuated by a loud and somewhat embarrassing growl as my stomach threw in its two-cents-worth.

"Let me run and change, ok? It shouldn't take me more than, oh, thirty standard minutes to get ready.

"I promise, I'm not one of those kind of females who primps for hours in front of a mirror!" I ended with a little laugh, trying to lighten an atmosphere I sensed had somehow darkened a bit. I let the smile broaden into a more genuine one. On impulse, I suddenly rose up on my tiptoes, threw my arms around what part of Terrin's torso I could reach, and planted a big kiss on him. It landed somewhere in the vicinity of his chin.

Before he could respond, I broke away and headed for the door. "Thirty minutes, and no longer, I promise!" I vowed over my shoulder. Then, keying the door open, I left his quarters and headed to mine.

Oh Great Khaandon's Ghost! Who would have thought there were so many people out and about in the middle of the afternoon?! SHEESH; doesn't anyone have a POST or anywhere they're supposed to attend?

Wrapping my integrity around me--such as it was-- I planted a "hey, I always roam around in my nightgown; it's ever so comfortable" look on my face and faced the busy corridor that lay between Terrin's quarters and my own. Most of the people I encountered, if startled by my unusual attire, were either too polite, or too well trained to say anything, or to even look as though they would. While a part of me wanted to believe it was due to the fact that rumor had already spread with the speed of a hungry Gungan's tongue-lash, and everyone knew me as being "Terrin's Significant Other," in all honesty I really put their consideration down to the fact that Terrin only had the best of the best for his crew.

Roon's Treasure, but I just might make it to my quarters... The thought had barely formed when I saw... her. That older woman introduced over dinner yesterday; what was her name? Sykes something... yes. Tarna Sykes. The one who, although she tried to put forth an air of polite coolness, struck me as something I'd rather like to see placed before a Hutt.

My instincts had yet to let me down. She waddled my way, her hair a quite hideous shade of green that matched her manicured nails, which raked over and over upon the quivering hide of the Duroonian Ball Creature she carried like some kind of trophy.

I don't know who I felt sorrier for... the poor defenseless critter in her arms, or Terrin's poor partner Aaron, destined to marry this woman's daughter.

Or, for that matter, me.

Her air of hauteur grew with each approaching step as she rolled on toward me, her green lips *shudder* splitting into the kind of smile a Noghri gives you before he slices you in two. In her arms, the ball creature let forth a little protesting yowl of discomfort as her hands dug into its flesh.

"Ahh, Miss Jhin-Darr!" she purred blackly. "How good to..." Here she paused, and literally gave me the once-over, her beady little eyes raking me as her nails continued to torture her poor pet. "...see you!" She continued giving me that false smile, obviously pleased to have found me in my obvious faux pas.

It was all I could do to keep from laughing out loud. That she had just come from the messhall was quite evident by the piece of something limp and wet that adhered just below her bottom lip. Between it's yowls of pain, the creature in her arms persisted in trying to reach this taunting little snack.

Time to liven things up, ol girl! I thought to myself wickedly. I merely paused in my tracks, and gave her the sweetest and most sincere smile I could manage.

"Why, Mrs Sykes!" I gushed with impeccable timing. "Why aren't you ready? The pajama party is due to begin in about fifteen standard minutes. I understand Terrin is throwing it in the effort to lighten the atmosphere aboardship, before we go off in the defense of the Galaxy, as we are of course planning on doing. The quite obvious disparity of having this in the middle of the day is also going to help raise everyone's spirits.

"Or hadn't you been informed of this?"

I paused there, bringing my little fabrication to a close before it seemed too false. Wait... one more....

"We're meeting in the messhall, and going from there," I added in my most sincere tone of voice. Then I just stood there, smiling.

Tarna stood there, fidgeting. The fact that she didn't know exactly how to handle the situation was evident by the sudden series of caterwauls her pet began blatting. Finally she seemed to realize what she was doing, as well as acqcuiescing to my relationship with the Captain of the Hornett.

She turned an equally false smile on me, although it seemed to waver a bit at the corners of her mouth. "I'll look forward to seeing you there, Miss Jhin-Darr!" she burbled. Then, every bit the prima donna, she brushed past me.

I refrained from watching her as she headed down the hall; I could tell her intentions just by listening to her steadily increasing footsteps.

Heh.

Whistling a little tune, I continued on to my own rooms, and leapt into the 'fresher. Then, donning another dress of Kaladorian spider-silk, this one a deep and rich emerald green, and sprinkled with Krayt dragon seed pearls, I waited for Terrin to come take me to lunch...

...and then hopefully on to the meeting where something really could get accomplished.

[ 09-25-2001 12:38 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Galen ]

--------------------

Posts: 1456 | From: | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.207.196
Terrin Danner

Member # 110

posted 09-25-2001 12:30 AM     Profile for Terrin Danner   Author's Homepage   Email Terrin Danner     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Terrin was had just taken a quick shower and and had half-decided what to wear when someone began pounding on his door.

Force sensitive or not, he knew that kind of knock meant only a few things. Trouble, or just plain irritation.

And Terrin didn't like either.

After putting on his casual uniform, which consisted of a one piece black jumpsuit...a lot nicer than the old beat-up blue one he'd been wearing around...and with long sleeves and pants legs that fit in close but comfortably.

Terrin purposefully took his time, as the pounding persisted. No one interrupted him like this without his fully showing how much he didn't appreciate it first.

After slipping on his boots, he finally decided he should answer the door.

The door slid open, revealing Tarna Sykes, green hair and green lips, with that horrid pet whatever-the-hell it was in her arms. And she was boiling mad.

"Danner! I don't know where you picked up this girl, but she's impertinent. I don't like her," she hissed.

Terrin rolled his eyes, not caring if she saw him do so or not. Tarna had a tendancy to think people actually cared what she thought. In fact, the only thing anyone cared about was the money she put into Eagle Enterprises.

"You don't roll your eyes, you...you overgrown five year old! She has the nerve to run around this shuttle in her PJs, like she's at some sort of pajama party. Then she tells me there IS a pajama party? What in the universe are you young idiots doing?"

With every last word, Terrin had to fight the urge to laugh in the woman's face. No one liked her, not even Aaron. Heck, Renee was marrying out of the family to GET RID of her. Her money was important to the company, sure. But she was an idiot, and would believe anything that she was told.

Terrin decided he'd go with it.

"Yeah, you know how we are," Terrin commented, grinning. "Just having all the fun around here, wandering around in pajamas and playing stormies and rebels. Galen was just wanting you to join in on the fun. She doesn't know you that well and hasn't realized yet that you are too old for such things," he quipped.

Tarna gave a loud snort, and stomped her right foot so hard Terrin could feel the vibration. "I NEVER! I pay you all to keep this company decent, and you go and ruin it by hiring morons!"

She really needed to get over the fact that she'd ever put money in the business. Truth be told, she hadn't paid them one red cent in at least a year. They just let her hang around to pet her ego.

If her ego got any bigger, they'd need a bigger shuttle, Terrin thought to himself.

He thought about saying so, but he figured he might as well tone this down a little. "If you think the pajama party is a bad idea, I'll call it off," he told her, fighting to keep a straight face and act the part of the responsible adult.

She eyed him curiously, as though wondering if he was really telling the truth.

What a complete waste of space she is! A rather large space at that... Terrin couldn't bear to keep the smile pulling at his lips covered anymore. She saw it immediately and frowned at him scoldingly, like he was some sort of two-year old.

"You promise nothing of the sort will be happening?" she insisted.

Sithspit, she really believes this pajama party nonsense!

"You have my word," he confirmed, taking her right hand in his left and kissing it. She hated that. And that's precisely why he'd done it.

Irritated, she jerked her hand away. "Grow up!" she growled. "I best not hear anything about this ridiculous nonsense later, or it'll be your head!"

With that, she turned and stomped away. Terrin sighed with relief.

Good riddance, you old bag.

Making sure he'd placed his comlink on his wrist, Terrin closed off the lights, left his quarters, and headed off to meet Galen once again...

[ 09-25-2001 10:26 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Terrin Danner ]

--------------------

~~Galen

Posts: 1187 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 66.20.156.245
Galen

Free Spirit

Member # 28

posted 09-25-2001 12:59 AM     Profile for Galen   Author's Homepage   Email Galen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I had just finished dressing, and was in the process of running a comb through my hair...

Sheesh, why did my hair always look like I had just removed some sort of helmet? I hate helmet-hair....

...when there came a rap on my door. Followed by another. And yet a third, this one a peppy triple-play.

I smiled to myself, floating to the door and keyed it open. Standing there just as I knew he would be, with the same lop-sided grin planted on his face that I knew would be there, was Terrin. His fist was raised for the fourth assault upon my door.

I shot him a sultry smile, and leaned against the doorframe, letting the dress frame me to our mutual advantage. My smile broadened to see the look reflecting back at me from Terrin's deep blue eyes.

"Why, Mr. Danner," I murmured, tilting my head to the side a little and actually batting my eyes. "You're not dressed for the party!"

--------------------

Posts: 1456 | From: | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.207.196
Terrin Danner

Member # 110

posted 09-25-2001 01:24 AM     Profile for Terrin Danner   Author's Homepage   Email Terrin Danner     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Terrin tilted his head slightly in a similar fashion to Galen and grinned.

He couldn't get the thought out of his head that Galen looked damned better in green than Tarna ever could. Of course, she wasn't running around with green hair and lips to "match" either. And he suspected Galen could be wearing a sack and he'd think she looked good in it.

"Yeah, well," he replied, putting on his mock-mature voice, "I thought I'd retire my sleep shorts and robe for attire more...fitting for the Captain of the Hornett," he mused. Then he added, "Tarna has an overdeveloped sense of importance."

She laughed lightly and waved him in, signaling she'd be ready in just a minute.

"I don't think my lady is quite dressed for the pajama party either," he stated as he sat on the bed waiting for Galen, who was combing her her through.

She turned momentarily and smiled, first micheiviously then with a little more warmth. Finally sitting the comb down on the vanity and giving herself a "once over" in the mirror, Galen slipped on some shoes from the wardrobe then turned to face him.

"You look beautiful," he told her, smiling roguishly. She grinned back, and blushed just a little.

Standing up, he wandered over to her, and offered her his arm. She took it, and within a few moments they were heading down the corridors of the Red Level once again.

Off to make big plans...

But first, off to dine, and to be blissfully unaware of anything in the universe around them except each other...

[ 09-25-2001 01:35 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Terrin Danner ]

--------------------

~~Galen

Galen

Free Spirit

Member # 28

posted 09-26-2001 12:39 PM     Profile for Galen   Author's Homepage   Email Galen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I considered Terrin over the rim of my glass of Wistrillian pale-water, smiling to myself as I thought of how quickly we had gotten so close. It seemed the most normal thing in the Universe to be sitting here across from him, sharing this moment of quiet dining.

I tried to think back to the last time I had enjoyed a moment such as this one. Hmmm... well, there was the time with Sorben on B'racus 7... only he had been under the influence of glitterstim at the time, and we really hadn't had much time to talk. In fact...I don't think he and I ever really had a chance to go out and just enjoy each other's company; maybe this kind of thing wasn't in his psyche or something.

Amazing how each time the thought of him comes up before that of Terrin, there just wasn't any comparison....

My smile turned even sappier, and I was just about to mention something when out of the corner of my eye I saw Tarna Sykes enter the messhall in a cloud of self-importance. That hideous little creature was still planted firmly in her chubby arms; it proceeded to emit a series of wailing moans as the woman waddled to a table not too far from us and seated herself.

There she imperiously ordered something, and turned her beady little eyes directly upon me. The heat directed from them could have fueled the entire Rogue Squadron; I batted my eyes sweetly in her direction, then turned my full attention to Terrin.

"There's my friend," I murmured with a little smile, well aware of the fact that the ridiculousness of the entire pajama-party joke was in simple rebound from the earlier hideousness I had experienced. I also noticed the woman was most definitely not garbed in sleeping attire; my teeth clenched a bit involuntarily at the mental picture that presented.

Terrin turned his head to the side a little, then smiled and directed his full attention upon me again. "The old hag," he announced in a whisper, lifting his own glass of ale in a salutory manner to me. I raised mine in response, and grinned broadly. "Let's not let her spoil our lunch," he continued, finishing with, "or anything else for that matter."

This latter, seemingly innocent comment sent a wave of happy shivers coursing up my spine. I was well aware that this woman's daughter was to marry Terrin's partner, Aaron; one way or another, I knew I'd probably be seeing her more than I ever wanted to for quite some time.

I didn't care. I knew I could win her over... eventually.

But now was not the time to think of such things. I put down my glass and, propping my elbows on the table and resting my chin in my cupped hands, I stared intently into Terrin's face, imprinting every feature, every line and crease and angle and plane firmly in my memory.

Khaandon, but it would be nice for this to be just an ordinary lunch, after which we would go about our ordinary business! I mused to myself. Then I sighed a bit, knowing that quite the opposite was soon forthcoming. I don't know what Terrin and the others might be coming up with as far as a plan of action went, but quite suddenly I found a possible one cementing itself within me. One very different from my first thought, and one which could prove to be wonderfully stealthy and sneaky, allowing us a modicum of power as well as the equally powerful element of surprise...

[ 09-26-2001 12:40 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Galen ]

--------------------

Posts: 1456 | From: | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.197.48
Terrin Danner

Member # 110

posted 09-26-2001 12:46 PM     Profile for Terrin Danner   Author's Homepage   Email Terrin Danner     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Before lunch—or whatever you called it at that hour of the day—Terrin had talked to Matt and told him to notify Aaron that he wanted a meeting at 1700 hours. So, after a good meal, Terrin and Galen made their way to the conference room.

With Galen’s right hand in his left, Terrin lead her into the room where Matt and Aaron already sat at the conference table, waiting.

Oops, Terrin thought, checking his chrono. Are we late?

After allowing Galen to sit down, Terrin sat next to her, across from his partner and beside his assistant.

Aaron was the first to speak up. “I see you forgot your pajamas,” Aaron commented somewhat sarcastically.

“Uhhh...sorry,” Terrin managed. Okay, I’m really not that sorry, but Aaron probably already knows that. Truth be known, he thinks it funny himself.

Aaron waved a hand, dismissing the apology and shooting a semi-amused grin at Terrin and Galen, confirming he wasn’t all that worried about it. “Tarna deserves what she gets. Just don’t send her my way next time you offend her. My ears are burning after all of her whining. I’m sure Renee will get much the same when they meet up in the dining hall too, poor thing.”

Terrin nodded. “I wouldn’t be surprised.”

“So,” Aaron said, clasping his hands together, sitting them on the table, and leaning forward a bit. “What do you propose we do about this Sith who showed up last night?”

Anything it takes to get rid of her, Terrin wanted to say. Instead he replied “We need to go after her and stop her. And attempt to get Shayla back.

“And how do you propose we do that?” Aaron asked.

“Well, Galen knows more of the statistics and necessities on this, so I’ll let her be the judge of what we need to start this campaign. We’ll be needing some extra weapons aside from what we have, I’m sure, so be ready to do what it takes to get those.”

Aaron frowned. “Terrin, we don’t have the money to be ordering new weapons left and right,” the other countered. “I understand...” here, Aaron hesitated slightly, “...that this matter has personal significance to you Terrin, but we still have a business to run. I’m all for going after this Sith and finding Shayla, but the Moff still owes us alot of money. We can’t afford that much til we get at least some of his payment.”

“You honestly think the Moff will ever pay us back?” Terrin asked, clearly getting angry with his business partner. “I’ve been working for him, remember? He doesn’t have the money to pay us back, the shuttles we built for him have been confiscated by the Imperial Remnant...even if he did get a hold of Shayla and her corporation they don’t even have enough money to cover his expenses to us and his loses elsewhere.”

“Well,” Aaron shot back, “You should have thought of that before you made a deal with him.”

Terrin hated to be arguing like this in front of Galen, but she might as well get used to he and Aaron occasionally clashing. Matt had seen the two of them go at it before, so he was sitting back, listening, and basically staying out of it. Aaron tended to take things one step at a time, while Terrin went for anything he was extremely passionate about. No one bossed him around much when it came to the business, which was, consequently, why Terin generally dealt with the negotiations. The Moff had been the only one they’d seen boss Terrin around alot, and they really were happy to see him go. The only concern was that Terrin had aligned the company with the Empire in dealing with him, and Aaron and the others tended to want to keep it neutral if possible.

“I realize the mistake, now,” Terrin growled. “At the time I thought it was the best thing. Now, I know it wasn’t. If you’ll give me a little credit, I’m trying to fix the situation. I know you are worried about irritating the Moff further, but the Imperials don’t even like him for what he did. They won’t even give him a measly shuttle. And I know Eagle Enterprises has the parts and the credits to afford a substantial amount of weaponry still, so don’t go there with me,” he ended, leaning forward with almost every word.

“But...Terrin...” Aaron started hesitantly, “The weapons STILL cost money...”

“Buy them, make them, or steal if you have to!” Terrin spat, this time leaning so far forward he was out of his seat and nearly in Aaron’s face. He realized this only after he’d done it, and sat down, hoping he hadn’t made too much of a scene. “I told you to give me some credit. I think Galen has an idea of how to bring some money into the company while we are at this. Besides, you can continue to sell shuttles and parts for profit while we are at this, Aaron.”

Finally, Aaron seemed to be coming around. “I guess I’m a little oversensitive about the money after what the Moff has done,” Aaron commented. “And it’s true enough that we can always keep selling. I shouldn’t have made the comment about this being a personal issue.”

“Your hesitation is understandable,” Terrin answered, calming down and sitting back. “As for it being a personal issue...well, it is,” he added, looking over to Galen, who was probably wondering what she’d gotten herself into after seeing him and Aaron fight. “Sorry about the testosterone overload,” he told her.

Aaron nodded. “Yeah, ditto. I didn’t mean to sound so jerky, Galen,” he told her. “What’s important to Terrin is important to us and to Eagle Enterprises. So...tell us about our oponent and, more importantly, what weapons, shuttles, and ammo we might be needing?”

--------------------

~~Galen

Galen

Free Spirit

Member # 28

posted 09-26-2001 01:12 PM     Profile for Galen   Author's Homepage   Email Galen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Dad had taken me to a lot of faculty meetings and dinners in the course of his tenure, so all this bickering about money and weaponry really wasn't anything new to me.

Heh. These guys think this is a spat? Just try listening to a flock of greybeards debating the issue of whose current theory holds the most water. Those ol' boys go for the throat; makes this little disagreement look like a session in diplomacy...

I merely sat there, quietly directing my gaze from Aaron to Terrin and back again, gradually letting my eyes narrow and my body language speak a bit more forcefully. At length the pair seemed to sense my incorporeal influence upon their little tete-a-tete; they wound down with quick apologies and round-about compliments in my direction.

I let their final words hang in the air for a bit as without speaking, I turned my look once again from one to the other. It finally settled on Terrin's assistant, Matt. Throughout this little disagreement, he hadn't spoken one word, wisely choosing to keep what thoughts he had about it to himself. I thought he might be the more... neutral of the group, and so when I finally spoke it was in his direction.

The words, however, were clearly meant for everyone in the room.

"You know, " I started, calmly. "You might have the assets of old Palpatine himself, and it isn't gonna be near what you'd need to build the ships and weapons you think are gonna beat her." I stopped there, letting my words now hang in the sudden silence. Their import grew with the feeling of discomfort I now quite easily felt flowing from the three men. "In fact, all the money in the Galaxy couldn't begin to touch it."

Now that I had their undivided attention, I continued on. I leaned forward determinedly, sweeping them with an equally determined look. The words I was about to speak were beyond serious; they simply had to believe me.

"You gentlemen keep referring to my- to this Graysith..." Once again I couldn't help the catch in my throat with the mention of her name. Oh, Jharmeen...! "...as being a Sith," I managed to finish. Then I firmed. "What you are missing, and keep missing, which is apparent by this discussion of bigger weapons and better ships, is the fact that Sith she might be...

...but not the kind of Sith you are aware of."

Now all eyes were riveted upon me. I paused involuntarily, as sudden tears welled up in my eyes and blurred the figures in front of me. For a moment I could only sit there, not seeing them, but rather seeing Her and Her Beast, as well as seeing the power she wielded and what she could do with it...

[ 09-26-2001 01:17 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Galen ]

--------------------

Posts: 1456 | From: | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.197.48

All times are CT
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Topic Closed  Topic Closed
Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e