my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Star Wars Discussion   » General SW Discussion   » The Last Jedi

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: The Last Jedi
Mara1Jade

Expanded Universe Goddess and Corran Obsessor

Member # 68

posted 06-09-2019 08:06 PM     Profile for Mara1Jade   Author's Homepage   Email Mara1Jade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, I thought I’d add a few non-RP threads to maybe get some talk going. TLJ was a widely debated ientry into the Star Wars movies. Personally, I enjoyed it. Especially the after the second and third watches....I caught more nuances then.

Things that seemed to bother some people that didn’t bother me in the least:

1. Luke’s whole attitude/presentation. I mean, I know some were really hoping for him to be all big and bad. And apparently, he really DID try to teach others the Jedi ways. But if you think about it...he kinda exactly what his teachers modeled for him. Things got sucky so he pulled back and retreated. Granted, when Yoda and Obi-Wan did so....they knew there was hope out there in the forms of Luke and Leia. Luke, in this particular scenario, appears to have no fall back. Aside from that he’s already turned and lost his father, Yoda is gone, and Obi Wan is gone. His family line keeps failing over and over again. I think he perceives that perhaps this is a hint that the Skywalker family line isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. Hmmm....

2. Everyone is complaining about Kylo Ren still. Yes, he’s whiny, at some points really rather annoying...

...but again, he’s part of that Skywalker line. Anakin had that same tendency, and so did Luke. Quite frankly, Leia was the only kick ass member of the family who just did what needed to be done and sucked it all up. (Girl power, yo!). And I still think in terms of baddies Kylo is, like his grandfather before him, a puppet who seems unaware of this...at least until the end of the film when Snoke pretty much tells him so. So we’ll see how that develops in the final entry. And how Kylo develops, too.

3. I saved the best for last. Rey may not be a Skywalker. Uhhh....so what?!? I guess I’ve done so much role play and read so many expanded universe books that I’m quite OK, even PLEASED, that she could be a NOBODY. It’s a big universe in Star Wars. Everything shouldn’t begin and end with the Skywalker line. THERE SHOULD BE OTHERS.

Soooo....now that I’ve stated my piece...anyone out there want to chime in?!?

--------------------

Small minds think in small terms!
~~CMH, creator and writer of Shayla Petrolu, Erik Kartan, Shawn Petrolu, Terrin Danner, Jasyn Lancaster, Matt Stanza, Aaron Barnes, And Taylor Garrison~~

Posts: 975 | From: Jacksonville, FL, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  Logged: 108.71.141.62
Cel

Really Nice Member

Member # 697

posted 06-14-2019 12:49 AM     Profile for Cel   Author's Homepage   Email Cel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I’m sort of on the fence with TLJ, I mean I enjoyed it overall but I had some… lets say concerns with Disney’s handling of the franchise. In regards to Mara’s point those actually pose no or little problems for me. I can accept a bitter Luke, he has the expectation by everyone to rebuild the Jedi and his most promising student ends up destroying it largely from Luke’s own mistakes. Likewise I think Kylo Ren’s attitude makes sense, his own uncle tried to kill him or at leastr made it appear that was the likely outcome. What was he to do at that point? Who could he trust? And likewise with Rey is her not being a Skywalker an issue? I think not, some of the most interesting characters from the EU turned out not to be Skywalkers.

My concerns I’m having are with different things.

1. I feel the background knowledge required is a bit high. I feel the Original Trilogy or Prequel Trilogy can be watched in any order, either trilogy not individual movies. Core themes, relationships, even motivations are explained. With the new movies I keep getting the feeling that I needed to have watched the past movies, tv series, or book to truly understand what exactly is happening. By contrast with the OT or Prequel the EU enhanced the experience.

2. Threat of the First Order. It might just be me but the First Order seems less threatening or competent than the Empire. In the OT the Empire was fighting an enemy well versed in Guerrilla warfare, so it made sense the Empire could only bring a small fraction of its Forces to an engagement before the Rebels could escape, why the Rebels were able to escape from Hoth but why the battle at Endor had overwhelming numbers. Once again I feel the background knowledge is required to understand the current state of galactic affairs while the OT did a good job of framing the situation.

3. Technology, specifically the Hyperdrive. In TFA Han Solo uses the Hyperdrive to bypass a shield, in TLJ it is used to destroy a capital ship. Now I might be missing something about the interaction between hyperspace and real space, once again an extra source may explain it but that is more required knowledge. Ignoring that for a moment the idea that hyperdrives capable of such destruction should be exploited more often if that is a thing. Astronomic droids can plot and execute jumps, as a strategy would render large (SSD or bigger) obsolete. To expensive to produce vs how easy they are to kill.

Overall I enjoy some aspects but others draw me away from the immersion, idk about the future of the franchise. But I will say that originally I thought the Prequel fell well short of the OT. Since then I have grown to like the Prequel as part of the Franchise. Given time I might feel the same about the new movies, who knows? Just some of my thoughts.

--------------------

Creator of Adrianna Joao (Cel, "Link"), Kyan Jetiis'ad (Deceased), Kani Jetiis'ad, Bes'in Skirata

Posts: 329 | From: Oregon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  Logged: 208.67.203.169
Mara1Jade

Expanded Universe Goddess and Corran Obsessor

Member # 68

posted 06-24-2019 10:49 PM     Profile for Mara1Jade   Author's Homepage   Email Mara1Jade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cel I totally get what you are saying. I definitely think the newer trilogy, especially TLJ, requires the viewer to have a certain understanding of things that went on in prior movies, books, and even perhaps some of the TV series. I’m pretty well versed in the books and have read some of the “new” cannon...but that being said, I haven’t watched any of the new TV stuff like Rebels. I do think it’s an interesting point here to that even Rogue One was clearer after I read Catalyst. A lot clearer, in fact.

I completely agree that the First Order, at this point, is not nearly as intimidating as the Empire. I think it has something to do with the fact that the First Order doesn’t seem to have a strong “villain” front. Both Kylo and General Hux are young, and don’t have the dark “presence” that Sidious and Vader did. I think Kylo still has potential to “grow” into this even with only one more episode left. We will see.

I am the first to admit I’m not as knowledgable about i all the technology. I generally keep reminding myself that this is a “new” cannon created by Disney, so they are kinda turning upside down some things that we who were used to the old cannon accept as truth such as how hyperspace works. I’d have to watch the specific scene you are referencing, but I do agree that a ship being able to destroy a capital ship from hyperspace seems unrealistic. I’ll have to rewatch and let you know what I think too, now I’m curious...

--------------------

Small minds think in small terms!
~~CMH, creator and writer of Shayla Petrolu, Erik Kartan, Shawn Petrolu, Terrin Danner, Jasyn Lancaster, Matt Stanza, Aaron Barnes, And Taylor Garrison~~

Posts: 975 | From: Jacksonville, FL, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  Logged: 108.71.141.62

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05