my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Star Wars Discussion   » General SW Discussion   » Darth?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: Darth?
Aelly Ssyn

Mistress of Black Sun

Member # 698

posted 09-24-2005 08:08 PM     Profile for Aelly Ssyn   Author's Homepage   Email Aelly Ssyn     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was just watching Episode II and for some reason this question popped into my head. What exactly does the title Darth mean? Is it a rank status or what?

--------------------

It's nothing personal. It's just business.

Posts: 97 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 2005  |  Logged: 158.4.56.5
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-25-2005 05:47 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think it's pretty well known that "Darth Vader" meant "Dark Father." I think "Darth" is a title meaning "dark."

Darth Sidious = dark and insidious one
Darth Maul = dark one who rips and shreds you

I think Count Dooku was a Count in deference to Christopher Lee, who is famous for his role as Count Dracula in myriad Hammer Films Dracula movies.

So yeah, "Darth" is kind of a title, distinguishing a force user who follows the dark side.

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.116.199
Sa'kal'ishaalas

Member # 532

posted 09-25-2005 10:27 AM     Profile for Sa'kal'ishaalas   Author's Homepage   Email Sa'kal'ishaalas     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Actually, as far as I can tell, Darth specifically is a title for those who have been trained as a sith. There are many dark force users (the Dathomir witches for instance), but Darth is a title given to those who have been trained by a Sith and follow in the Sith traditions.

[ 09-25-2005 10:28 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Sa'kal'ishaalas ]

Posts: 173 | From: | Registered: May 2004  |  Logged: 69.233.49.126
Aelly Ssyn

Mistress of Black Sun

Member # 698

posted 09-25-2005 02:34 PM     Profile for Aelly Ssyn   Author's Homepage   Email Aelly Ssyn     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You know.. I honestly never thought of the Darths names as having actual meaning behind it. Like the ones you pointed out Graysith. Guess I just like watching the action and i don't really pay attention to everything else beneath it.

--------------------

Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-25-2005 02:59 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, Sa'k, you make a good point. Hehe... just what exactly IS or ARE the Sith is something Lucas kind of leaves us hanging with... it is assumed to be a vague sort of "dark Jedi force user whosis whatever..." that is never really distinguished from other dark ones, like the Dathomir witches.

THAT'S why we went off in the direction we did here (about the Sith being an ancient race) -- something I think Dark Horse comics alluded to once in a comic put out years and years ago (I THINK it was Dark Horse comics).

At any rate, Lucas's "Sith" are Dark Jedi, which makes more sense, and our Sith are an ancient magickal race who were destroyed by the Dark Jedi and then brought back to life as a civilization. The "Sith" according to Lucas are just force users who use their powers from a more personal, selfish point of view, while the Jedi use theirs selflessly for the good of others.

(That's why Jedi have no material possessions, by the way... er, one of the reasons. Jedi owning battle cruisers... no sense whatsoever!)

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.116.199
Aelly Ssyn

Mistress of Black Sun

Member # 698

posted 09-25-2005 03:07 PM     Profile for Aelly Ssyn   Author's Homepage   Email Aelly Ssyn     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So Dark Horse Comics mentioned something about a Sith race? I haven't read any of the comics. In fact I haven't read any of the books either. Just watched the movies and played/ing some of the video games.

--------------------

Nefrai Kesh

Member # 554

posted 09-25-2005 03:10 PM     Profile for Nefrai Kesh   Author's Homepage   Email Nefrai Kesh     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
I think Count Dooku was a Count in deference to Christopher Lee, who is famous for his role as Count Dracula in myriad Hammer Films Dracula movies.

Hey! Give some credit to Boris Karlof!

--------------------

"I have fought with the shadows on the edge of your vision. I have seen the faces that laugh at you in your nightmares." ~The Inquisition

Posts: 134 | From: | Registered: Jun 2004  |  Logged: 71.208.77.190
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-25-2005 11:45 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Boris Karloff never played Count Dracula in any Hammer Films production, I don't believe.

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 12.216.67.77
Arien

Broken Back Button

Member # 696

posted 09-25-2005 11:48 PM     Profile for Arien   Author's Homepage   Email Arien     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Not hammer, but he was the ORIGONAL. I don't know if that was the origonal or not, but you learn something from watching the movie after being in "old lace and arsenic" where the prime insult is: "you look like boris karloff!"

--------------------

"I swear daddy! A man came in here and started jumping on the bed, broke it, and ran out laughing!" ~B. Cosbey

Posts: 6 | From: | Registered: Aug 2005  |  Logged: 71.208.77.190
Cel

Really Nice Member

Member # 697

posted 09-26-2005 12:03 AM     Profile for Cel   Author's Homepage   Email Cel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
just somethings to point out Dathomir witches are not dark side per say, they are just a group of people who use the force just by accessing it in a way different then the jedi. the more correct term would be nightsister. nightsisters are trained like the dothomir witches but use the darkside of the force to accomplish their deeds not all dathomir witchs are evil for instance tenel ka's mother, is an example of a dathomir which who isnt evil.

also dark horse comics do refer to a sith race i can remeber the exact comic but i believe in the tales of the sith serries it explains how the cause of the great hyperspace wars and how the dark jedi came to korriban, if you want more information you should read the galaxy guides specificly the essential chronology

--------------------

Creator of Adrianna Joao (Cel, "Link"), Kyan Jetiis'ad (Deceased), Kani Jetiis'ad, Bes'in Skirata

Posts: 328 | From: Oregon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  Logged: 67.150.90.196
Aelly Ssyn

Mistress of Black Sun

Member # 698

posted 09-26-2005 12:12 AM     Profile for Aelly Ssyn   Author's Homepage   Email Aelly Ssyn     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wow soo much that I don't know. lol Thanks for aall the input everyone.

--------------------

Sa'kal'ishaalas

Member # 532

posted 09-26-2005 12:43 AM     Profile for Sa'kal'ishaalas   Author's Homepage   Email Sa'kal'ishaalas     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sorry. I know that. I forgot. The Nightsister are the evil ones...
Posts: 173 | From: | Registered: May 2004  |  Logged: 69.233.49.126
Aelly Ssyn

Mistress of Black Sun

Member # 698

posted 09-26-2005 12:45 AM     Profile for Aelly Ssyn   Author's Homepage   Email Aelly Ssyn     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have to admit. Nightsister sounds like a pretty cool title.

--------------------

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05