my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Star Wars Discussion   » General SW Discussion   » People vs. Characters

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: People vs. Characters
Sarisa Ker

Really Nice Member

Member # 644

posted 08-29-2005 11:20 AM     Profile for Sarisa Ker   Author's Homepage   Email Sarisa Ker     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was just thinking about something and I wondered what others though.

With the new rule of only making "normal" characters due to the fact that there is an over abundance of "power" characters I thought of a question.

Does that mean that people who make "power" characters wish they had the powers that the characters do, or that they don't like to be normal and so they end up making "power" characters?

Or...maybe deep down we are all inately dark jedi and wish to have more power? lol

--------------------

Knowledge is power.

Posts: 259 | From: | Registered: May 2005  |  Logged: 64.136.49.226
Xenn

Member # 669

posted 08-29-2005 03:16 PM     Profile for Xenn   Author's Homepage   Email Xenn     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I always thought it would be cool to be a jedi, but i dont know if i could follow their lifestyle. its too strict. id most likley end up falling to the dark side, ha.
Posts: 127 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Jun 2005  |  Logged: 71.106.32.142
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 08-29-2005 04:11 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think everyone likes having the strength and power of these guys because in the real world we're really not that empowered. There is so much that runs our lives and outlooks -- that is, if we LET this happen, I don't but hey, that's me! -- and we kinda feel helplessly drawn along at the whims of others.

You know, "what does so and so think of me, what clothes should I wear because so and so wears this or that, sheesh I wish I had a better job/my boss was nicer to me/I was more appreciated..." Yadda yadda yadda, and so on and so forth.

So because life kinda rules our lives (no matter what the degree) it's nice to have (vicariously) the powers to do "whatever I want."

That too could be another reason: the kid buried down inside us all. "I wanna do this, wah wah wah..." and because I'm a dark guy with all this power I CAN.

Also, what with all the computer games and arcades and all that, the younger crowd is more hot-wired toward fighting; having powers sure makes you either a super hero or a super villain.

I don't know if everyone here reads the role play threads that they are NOT role playing in, but I want to state now that I am trying NOT to make Graysith a "super power" even though she has the All. She really does have weaknesses and is vulnerable (role players in her threads better know this by now!!!) -- I also try to "hold back" re my other "dark" characters so they are not such super-duper baddies.

It's reeeeally easy to FLAT OUT END a role play thread by having someone with dark powers just up and blast other characters into oblivion... which is why we have the rule that you cannot kill off another character without the written permission of the author of that character.

OK, I'm rambling.

Time to skedaddle!

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.116.199
Sarisa Ker

Really Nice Member

Member # 644

posted 09-03-2005 06:25 PM     Profile for Sarisa Ker   Author's Homepage   Email Sarisa Ker     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So you think like I do that everyone ( if given the power) would prefer to be powerful rather than a "normal" person?

I've met a few people who would prefer to be a "normal" person than have all the responsibility of having powers.

--------------------

Knowledge is power.

Posts: 259 | From: | Registered: May 2005  |  Logged: 158.4.56.5

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05