my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Star Wars Discussion   » General SW Discussion   » Yin/Yang or a Drop of Oil...

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: Yin/Yang or a Drop of Oil...
Selah

Member # 201

posted 09-10-2002 11:53 PM     Profile for Selah   Author's Homepage   Email Selah     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Was inspired by comments in a Yoda/mistake/liar thread by BobPalpatine & Graysith.

Here's my question: What do you all believe--that the Force cannot exist Light w/o Dark (Yin/Yang)? Or that the Force, in it's purest state is Light, and is only spoiled/clouded by the Dark, like water polluted by a drop of oil?

--------------------

This too shall pass...

Posts: 32 | From: | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 216.65.185.86
Mara1Jade

Expanded Universe Goddess and Corran Obsessor

Member # 68

posted 09-11-2002 12:18 AM     Profile for Mara1Jade   Author's Homepage   Email Mara1Jade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Can I answer a question with a question?

In the absence of Darkness, how would we know what light is?

I think you have to have one to have the other. And although I definitely do believe in absolute truths (absolute good and absolute evil) I also think alot of what we think of as "good" and "bad" can also be considered subjective, on a personal basis.

*puts her two cents worth in the bucket*

--------------------

Small minds think in small terms!
~~CMH, creator and writer of Shayla Petrolu, Erik Kartan, Shawn Petrolu, Terrin Danner, Jasyn Lancaster, Matt Stanza, Aaron Barnes, And Taylor Garrison~~

Posts: 972 | From: Jacksonville, FL, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  Logged: 66.20.157.94
Taehun

Dark Jedi

Member # 290

posted 09-11-2002 12:20 AM     Profile for Taehun   Author's Homepage   Email Taehun     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OK, I'm going to use a little D&D speak here...

I guess I would say that the force would be in a neutral good alignment. The evil must coexist with the good, but they coexist together to produce good things, if that makes any sense at all.

--------------------

All in all it was just another brick in the wall,
all in all you were just another brick in the wall.

Posts: 248 | From: USAFA, CO | Registered: Jul 2002  |  Logged: 198.81.16.186
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-11-2002 01:06 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
How about they coexist to produce just plain events, such events being then viewed in whatever manner they will be due to the subjectivity of the viewer.

And here is where Mara and I do part ways. I don't believe in absolute evil or absolute good. Nothing is absolute...

...except zero. So far.

Heh.

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 64.12.96.79
LumbiaSith

Padawan

Member # 250

posted 09-13-2002 08:52 AM     Profile for LumbiaSith   Author's Homepage   Email LumbiaSith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I must say that these questions is very spirtual, but now I must state the answer to this question.

Well I certainly believe that you can never have no darkness what-so-ever, for the simple fact that their are to many people in the galaxy. Their are people like Jabba Hutt, who is part of the darkness of the galaxy, and all these pirates. The light can be certainly idenitified without Darkness, for the simple fact that their abilities and actions.

Thats how I view it, but I dont know about your answer...

Peace

--------------------

"I am here to redeem myself. See, The Fate of the universe lies in my hands! I will take up the challenge!"

-Lumbia Whitfield

Posts: 1143 | From: In space... | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 12.213.76.134
Narcolm

Member # 222

posted 09-13-2002 05:10 PM     Profile for Narcolm   Author's Homepage   Email Narcolm     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There will always be dark, if all the bad floks were eliminated than those who were less good and ritous than others would become bad. Not because of any change but because everyone isnt the same. a balance will always exist, its just how high the standard is.

--------------------

Rathal

(I AM turning to the Darkside)

"There's room at the top they're telling you still, but first you must learn how to smile as you kill."

Posts: 74 | From: See Rahthal | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 205.188.209.6
Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 09-14-2002 01:34 AM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ok, it is yin and yang, in the basic's, good is only viewable by the nature of evil, and light simply creates more shadows, shadow's give way to be filled by light. everything is completly equal. I dont know if anyone has ever studied a Yin/yang simbol, but it is a very balanced thing, even more so then some thing, no matter what you change on it, it stay's equal... that is, unless you totaly mess with the design and such, and make it not a yin/yang simbol, but if you make one circle bigger, the space around it, that is oposite, gets less, so it remains balanced... if you move one more to a sid,e the other creeps in on the oposite side... its a brillitn design...

Anyone, the more good, the more evil, and each are only viewed as such in comparison to ones inner beliefes, and views.

--------------------

"Insert Snappy quote here"

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.219.51.1
Selah

Member # 201

posted 09-17-2002 04:14 PM     Profile for Selah   Author's Homepage   Email Selah     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Am interested to see that most believe that the Force is a thing of balance, not something inherently good, tainted by some invasive evil.

Entaris, your comment is verra insightful. I didn't know that about yin/yang. Have a link, by any chance?

--------------------

This too shall pass...

Posts: 32 | From: | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 216.65.186.160
11:33 AM

unregistered

posted 03-24-2005 04:22 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'll use physicZ
Logged: 000009

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05