my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Star Wars Discussion   » General SW Discussion   » Evaluating Darth Maul

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: Evaluating Darth Maul
Ravage

unregistered

posted 05-23-2002 01:56 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok, I know it's a little late since he's been dead for 10 years now, but what does everyone think of the man they call Maul?
Logged: 65.30.66.171
MASTER_THON

Broken Back Button

Member # 191

posted 05-23-2002 02:31 PM     Profile for MASTER_THON   Author's Homepage   Email MASTER_THON     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I liked Darth Maul, every thing about the Sith apprentice was pure evil, from the way he looked, to the lethal way that he wielded his lightsaber spoke of complete dedication to the dark side. However,I feel that he was killed off too early.

--------------------

RULE IN FEAR OF THE FORCE, AS WELL AS IN THE FORCE ITSELF

Posts: 10 | From: HOUMA,LA. | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 209.62.196.27
BobPalpatine

Foo Fighter

Member # 17

posted 05-24-2002 06:07 PM     Profile for BobPalpatine   Author's Homepage   Email BobPalpatine     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The thing I've been thinking lately is how much short work would've been made of by Yoda.

I mean think about Dooku beat the crap outta Obi-Wan, and Obi-Wan killed DM, so Yoda should be able to just make short work of Maul right?

--------------------

"Can't you hear my motored heart? Your the one that started it!"

-Foo Fighters "Generator"

Cogito ergo sum

BobPalpatine
Holonet Admin

Posts: 681 | From: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  Logged: 204.184.55.152
Narcolm

Member # 222

posted 05-29-2002 09:53 PM     Profile for Narcolm   Author's Homepage   Email Narcolm     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well actually, Maul Man-Handled both Quigon and Obi. It was only because Obi got pissed off and caught him off gaurd that Maul died. I think that He was at least as Powerful as dooku if not moreso.

--------------------

Rathal

(I AM turning to the Darkside)

"There's room at the top they're telling you still, but first you must learn how to smile as you kill."

Posts: 74 | From: See Rahthal | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 64.12.106.32
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 05-31-2002 08:01 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sorry, gang. Sithette though I might be... I think Maul was all glitz and flash. Yeah, he could whale with that double-blade, and whirl it around nice and pretty, but... as it was proven in EP1, long staff against shorter weapon no-so good. It got cut in half on him, and then he seemed a little less "spectacular."

Not to mention that in one scene he clearly wobbled off-balance on the walkways they were leaping about on. And about him getting himself killed: no way was he taken off-guard. He just stood there like a big Gandy-Rak watching Obi-Wan leap up and out and nail him, sheesh, how ridiculous can you get?

Personally, I think another great character was suffering mightily from "bad writer's syndrome...." or else they were running over-budget and had to cut corners somewhere.

As you can tell, I never thought it realistic when he was killed, even though he had lost his apparent advantage by then by having his double blade whacked in half.

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.206.207
BobPalpatine

Foo Fighter

Member # 17

posted 05-31-2002 11:13 PM     Profile for BobPalpatine   Author's Homepage   Email BobPalpatine     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yea, definitly...

Another thing you have to remember about Darth Maul is that he was just a lowly apprentice and probably about the age of Obi-Wan or so. Dooku is a much more powerful Sith Lord. While he may still be an apprentice under Darth Sidious he is still VERY strong in the Dark Side. I think Dooku could've taken Maul just for the fact that he seemed so much more powerful than Maul did.

I mean the only use of the Force I saw Maul do, was haul a battle droid at a door and do some flips and stuff. Dooku, was...yea he was strong...

Maul was definitly mauled by the less than par writing skills of Lucas. I wish Lucas would go back to the formula he used on ESB, have someone else direct and write for him while he supervised....

--------------------

"Can't you hear my motored heart? Your the one that started it!"

-Foo Fighters "Generator"

Cogito ergo sum

BobPalpatine
Holonet Admin

Posts: 681 | From: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  Logged: 204.184.55.110
Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 06-01-2002 04:36 PM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree that dukoo was way more powerful, him and yoda were equal in force power. And pluse dukoos lightsaber is way better then mauls... And besides, He is just an apprentice because sidius(probably spelled wrong) Doesnt let go of apprentices very easaly, just look at vader, he was a sith master in my eyes, the power he commanded was awsome,yet still an apprentice, even when look was going to become is apprentice(in his own mind that is.)
In my opinion though, the best villian of all times has got to be!.... that guy in Return of the jedi that was in the movie two seconds when the people were trying to destroy the death star. You know the guy that was commanding the star destroyer...that guy was just evil

--------------------

"Insert Snappy quote here"

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.225.96.95
Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 06-01-2002 04:37 PM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ok, sorry, screwed up... Dooku,
and the "even when look was going to be his apprentice" look= Luke...i kinda wasint thinking straight...

--------------------

"Insert Snappy quote here"

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.225.96.95
PloKoonII

Broken Back Button

Member # 232

posted 06-04-2002 10:29 PM     Profile for PloKoonII   Author's Homepage   Email PloKoonII     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
yeah i agree with thon, darth maul was killed too early. there wasnt enuff to prove whether he was really good or not. and yes i think he was caught off guard cuz he didnt expect obi wan to jump up and slice him in half. but since lucas likes messing things up i guess theres no way to bring him back
Posts: 8 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 65.136.61.82
Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 06-18-2002 12:29 PM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tell me if I'm wrong, but I heard he is not dead. His upper body comes back in episode 7. He has a jet pack hooked up under where Obi-Wan sliced him in 2...
Posts: 1163 | From: Ardmore, OK | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 65.80.160.247
Rykounagin

Son of Conflict

Member # 531

posted 01-24-2005 05:56 PM     Profile for Rykounagin   Author's Homepage   Email Rykounagin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ok, well the jetpack theory is bullrubish. It's almost definately someone playing off of one of Jerik's dark jedi who used the force to keep himself up. But anyway, Maul in the movie (if that's your ownly source) was horribly portrayed. In any (non kid book) portraying him (shadow hunter is an excellent example), he could have easily, almost without effort, held his own against several jedi masters. Unlike all the others, he was only raised to kill jedi from birth.

--------------------

"I'm not afraid to keep on living, I'm not afraid to walk this world alone;" -Black Parade

Posts: 869 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  Logged: 70.56.6.223
Sa'kal'ishaalas

Member # 532

posted 09-10-2005 11:56 PM     Profile for Sa'kal'ishaalas   Author's Homepage   Email Sa'kal'ishaalas     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I loved Darth Maul, but I think that Lucas's terrible writing skills of late made him suffer. I did read some of the Darth Maul books, in which it displayed how amazing he was. I have two theories on how Obi-Wan beat him. One is that power, that power that all good people have, the one I went on a rant about in my other response today. The other was that Obi-Wan was angry. But wait, isn't anger of the dark side? And Luke in ROTJ was mad at Vader for considering going after Leia. And we all know the example of Anakin. But that doesn't count in a way. But still, something seems a little to similar to be coincidental.

Oh, an intersting fact about Darth Maul. When the person who came up with his design for him, they asked him to draw up the the scariest thing of his dreams. What he came back with was so scary, they had to come up a new drawing that wasn't as scary. My question is, what did his orginal drawing look like? THAT is something I'd want to see in special features on a DVD.

[ 09-10-2005 11:57 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Sa'kal'ishaalas ]

Posts: 173 | From: | Registered: May 2004  |  Logged: 69.233.49.126

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05