my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Our Galaxy.......   » Leaving Orbit....   » LYRIDS

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: LYRIDS
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 04-20-2005 01:41 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok guys, this Thursday night, April 21-22, the Lyrid meteor shower will peak.

This is an extremely unpredictable shower, which in the past has given us a show of up to 180 meteors an hour down to a mere 20 or so. No one can really predict it's activity; it's been around for over a thousand years.

The best time to view is approximately midnight CDT, 1 a.m. Eastern, 11:00 p.m. Mountain, and 10:00 p.m. Pacific times (0500 UT). Look to the east between the star Vega and the constellation Hercules; Vega is the brightest, "uppermost" star in the Summer Triangle, which you can't miss: IT'S BIG. Orient yourselves to the Summer Triangle by using Cygnus the Swan, also known as the Northern Cross. That too is self-explanatory; the "tail" of the swan, or the "top" of the cross is the star Deneb, which is part of the Summer Triangle. Look "upward" (ie: toward the zenith) to find BRIGHT Vega; this is a star in the constellation Lyra, which in turn looks like a tiny parallelogram.

Anyway, there you have it. A point between Vega and the constellation Hercules is the "radiant" of this particular shower (where they appear to be coming from); as with all meteor showers, one can usually see associated meteors a day or so surrounding peak time as they "straggle" in and out-- or to be more correct, as the earth approaches and enters into their orbiting "cloud."

WATCH THE SKY!!!

[ 04-20-2005 01:44 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.117.8
Lord of the Masque

Member # 615

posted 04-29-2005 09:34 AM     Profile for Lord of the Masque   Author's Homepage   Email Lord of the Masque     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I looked at the sky and saw nothing.... perhaps I missed it.

--------------------

"Truth has been sketched, fantasy stretched, and reality bounces off the wall inbetween!" -Madrigal: The Royal Wedding

Posts: 34 | From: | Registered: Mar 2005  |  Logged: 209.120.161.36

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05