my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Our Galaxy.......   » Leaving Orbit....   » AURORA ALERT

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: AURORA ALERT
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 01-16-2005 03:29 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok, guys, I missed letting you all know about the last big one, but I'm not going to miss again.

Over the last week a HUGE sunspot group has been forming on the sun, and it has let out two CMEs ("coronal mass ejections"), both of which are headed toward Earth. A CME is a mass of fast moving particles which have been blasted off of the sun from a solar flare -- and the impact of those particles on our magnetic field are what cause auroras on Earth.

Well, depending on the polarity of the incoming CME, that is.

Anyway, there are three categories of flares, each with 7 sublevels: C, M and X. "C" is pretty small, "X" are most active and most disruptive to us here (can cause blackouts, electromagnetic disruptions, tv and radio jitters and all that kind of thing).

The two incoming CMEs came from an M-8 and an X-2 flare, respectively.

So, keep your eyes peeled guys, if your skies are clear. They are due to hit us on the 16th-17th, so the aurora possibilities would be for tonight and tomorrow night.

The last flare of comparative strength hit us last November, and auroras were seen clear down into Utah and California. I personally was out watching the sky then in the city, and could clearly see bright, green aurora even with city lights! (Of course I took off driving into the country to see it better, hehe...)

Just a head's up.

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 65.103.180.175
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 01-18-2005 02:00 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
WELL.

While I haven't seen any aurora associated with those two CMEs, it appears we may yet have a chance. Sunspot 720 (as wide as the planet Jupiter) has been a busy lil ol spot, and has shot out another solar flare (this one an X-3!) which has in turn produced another CME that is en route to us.

Look for possible aurora on January 18-19.

For further information, go to www.spaceweather.com.

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 64.12.116.196
Padme of Hidden Lake

Really Nice Member

Member # 107

posted 01-20-2005 06:36 PM     Profile for Padme of Hidden Lake   Author's Homepage   Email Padme of Hidden Lake     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I would love to see them - too bad its been to cold here to be safe to go out and look... below 0 and major windchills most of the time... YUCK

--------------------

A friend once told me "The Turtle Moves" I think we should all remember that right now...
Don't dance to live, live to dance!

Posts: 319 | From: Wandering the planet | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 67.136.222.102

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05