my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Our Galaxy.......   » Leaving Orbit....   » The Planet of War

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: The Planet of War
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 06-18-2003 07:28 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OK folks, now is the time to drag out the 'scopes if you've got 'em, or to go to your local observatory if you have one. The Earth and Mars are approaching each other. Ok, not really "coming" at each other; orbital mechanics is approaching a point where the two will be the closest they will be to each other in many, many years. This approach is called a "convergence." The day when the two planets will be closest to each other is August 27.

But even so, right now we will be able to see the southern polar icecap of Mars through backyard telescopes...

...and it can only get better and better as we come up on August 27!

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 64.12.96.79
LumbiaSith

Padawan

Member # 250

posted 06-19-2003 04:29 PM     Profile for LumbiaSith   Author's Homepage   Email LumbiaSith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Heh, even if I do manage to get a telescope by then, I'll be in Las Vegas partying underaged!

--------------------

"I am here to redeem myself. See, The Fate of the universe lies in my hands! I will take up the challenge!"

-Lumbia Whitfield

Posts: 1143 | From: In space... | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 12.213.76.134
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 06-19-2003 05:01 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
2003 is a great year for viewing Mars.

It's not as if that is THE only night to see the convergence. August 27 happens to be the night when the two planets are at their closest to each other.

However, as I mentioned, you can see the southern polar icecap of Mars right now; it will just get a bit better the closer we get to August 27. And of course you have the "window" on the "other side" of that date, as the planets slowly pull away from each other. So probably from now until perhaps early October you'd be able to see the icecap.

At any rate, it shouldn't be difficult to just go outside and LOOK UP. Mars is bright right now; it is just that it will be at it's absolute brightest in late August.

[ 06-19-2003 05:05 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 64.12.96.79
Dash Kelderon

On the Road to Redemption

Member # 427

posted 06-30-2003 05:02 AM     Profile for Dash Kelderon   Author's Homepage   Email Dash Kelderon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So what general region of the sky should I be looking at? What constellation is Mars near?

--------------------

Those 2 guys may be IDIOTS... but they think the same way I do!

Posts: 655 | From: M.I,A | Registered: Feb 2003  |  Logged: 63.88.67.230
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 07-02-2003 02:32 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OK, Mars is in Aquarius. On July 15 Aquarius will be on the eastern horizon at latitude 35 degrees north at 10:00 p.m. DST... which is about midnight in New Brunswick. According to my almanac, on July 11 Mars rises at 10:58 p.m. EDT in Boston, and at 10:53 EDT in Bangor, Maine... again to the east, of course, and in (read here "with") the constellation of Aquarius.

Hmmm... how to recognize Aquarius... look for the "teapot" shape of Sagittarius which will be more to the south and a bit higher from the horizon at that time. And more to the south of Sagittarius is the distinctive scorpion shape of Scorpius. When Aquarius is on the eastern horizon, Cygnus the Swan is high over its location; you can easily find Cygnus by it's distinctive cross shape. And it's fairly large, too. Move to the east from Cygnus and you'll see an itty bitty constellation that looks like a kite; that's Delphinus, the dolphin. The three, Cygnus/Delphinus/Aquarius line up with each other, with Cygnus high at that time and Aquarius on the horizon... and low to its "right" would be Capricorn, then Sagittarius and then Scorpio. Hopefully you'll be able to find the right location by triangulation.

So wait until later in the night, or before sunrise, and go out and look to the east/southeast. (The later in the night, or the closer to dawn, the more towards the southwest you will be looking, of course.) You will see a BRIGHT planet with a distinctive reddish cast.

That's it. Oh yes, you can tell it's a planet and not a star because it won't be twinkling. It's not a point source of light; it's merely reflecting. And one more thing to remember: these constellations are zodiacal; they follow along the ecliptic. (That's the plane of our solar system.) What this means is that as the constellations rise in the east, they rise up and arc over to set in the west; they don't just "roll" along the horizon. So the later you go out, look more toward the south and west, and HIGHER above the horizon.

[ 07-02-2003 03:00 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.252.135
Dash Kelderon

Member # 427

posted 07-03-2003 07:38 AM     Profile for Dash Kelderon   Author's Homepage   Email Dash Kelderon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thank you! That was quite informative. But unfortunatly the onlt constellations I can find are the BIG DIPPER and ORIONS BELT.

Is Mars close to them???

--------------------

Posts: 655 | From: M.I,A | Registered: Feb 2003  |  Logged: 24.233.122.164
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 07-04-2003 12:43 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ummm... no.

But this should make it easier. It is now approximately 1:33 a.m. by my computer, Central Daylight Time. I just got in from looking at Mars.

It is approximately 20+ degrees above the horizon, practically due east by southeast. AND IT IS BIG AND DISTINCTLY ORANGE.

Just GO OUT and LOOK IN THAT DIRECTION at whatever time it is in your location when it is the above time Central. Or, to see it better, wait another hour; it will rise higher and probably be pretty much south by then.

But you just can't miss it if you just GO LOOK.

And Dash, go look at constellations online. Sagittarius, like I said, looks just like a teapot. Scorpius looks just like a scorpion. Cygnus looks just like a big cross. Go out and LOOK UP and you'll begin to learn.

Mars is worth it guys. And the best is yet to come!

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.252.135
Dash Kelderon

Member # 427

posted 07-04-2003 08:20 AM     Profile for Dash Kelderon   Author's Homepage   Email Dash Kelderon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What's next? What is yet to come?

I found Mars... Thanks for the help. I really wasn't trying to be all retarded about finding it. It just bugged me that I didn't know where to look!

--------------------

Posts: 655 | From: M.I,A | Registered: Feb 2003  |  Logged: 63.88.67.230
LumbiaSith

Padawan

Member # 250

posted 08-02-2003 04:43 PM     Profile for LumbiaSith   Author's Homepage   Email LumbiaSith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's August now, so everyone run out and look in the sky, but what way?

--------------------

"I am here to redeem myself. See, The Fate of the universe lies in my hands! I will take up the challenge!"

-Lumbia Whitfield

Posts: 1143 | From: In space... | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 12.213.76.134
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 08-02-2003 06:58 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just as I said: to the east/southeast.

Mars, like any other object in the sky, will rise in the east and set in the west (ok, circumpolar stars don't set, but we won't go there now, hehe). It rises about four minutes earlier each night; now it is rising closer to 10:00 p.m. CDT. You can see it plainly around 11:00 p.m.

Honestly, you can't miss it. It's the only object up there that is such a definite orange color. This may be washed out a little in the city, though.

--------------------

Padme of Hidden Lake

Really Nice Member

Member # 107

posted 09-05-2003 07:23 PM     Profile for Padme of Hidden Lake   Author's Homepage   Email Padme of Hidden Lake     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
On the 27th my camera zoom lens was strong enough to see the polar icecap through - I sooo hope these pics come out well....

--------------------

A friend once told me "The Turtle Moves" I think we should all remember that right now...
Don't dance to live, live to dance!

Posts: 319 | From: Wandering the planet | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 204.168.82.9
LumbiaSith

Padawan

Member # 250

posted 09-06-2003 11:27 PM     Profile for LumbiaSith   Author's Homepage   Email LumbiaSith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I never got the chance to really really see it, I only managed to see it as a bright dot in the sky with some strong goggles.

Bah..

--------------------

-Lumbia Whitfield

Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-08-2003 02:36 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Link to Mars Info

Here is a link to information about Mars. While it is receding now, it is more easily seen as it is rising earlier and earlier each day.

Hurry to check it out... by the middle of this month its brilliance will be greatly reduced, and by the end of the month down to 20% of what it is now.

Padme, GREAT about the zoom!!! Lumbia, try viewing it with binoculars if you can.

But even naked eye, it's simply great. So bright and orange!!!

[ 09-08-2003 02:37 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.208.165
Padme of Hidden Lake

Really Nice Member

Member # 107

posted 09-12-2003 02:17 PM     Profile for Padme of Hidden Lake   Author's Homepage   Email Padme of Hidden Lake     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah jsut going out and looking at it normally is fun too, but I just had to take advantage of that zoom to photograph it... It jsut wouldnt have been right to let that excellent technology go to waste...

--------------------

A friend once told me "The Turtle Moves" I think we should all remember that right now...

Posts: 319 | From: Wandering the planet | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 204.168.82.9
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-25-2003 01:52 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You must have a HUGE zoom lens! Normally it would take a 'scope to resolve such detail, even at the planet's closest approach.

It was only covering a few minutes of arc in the sky; from my observations I would estimate maybe 5-7 minutes of arc?? The full moon covers about 30 minutes of arc, for comparative purposes.

Maybe you were seeing lens abberration, or reflection???

--------------------

Padme of Hidden Lake

Really Nice Member

Member # 107

posted 09-25-2003 05:18 PM     Profile for Padme of Hidden Lake   Author's Homepage   Email Padme of Hidden Lake     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I got super camera for France - I wanted to be able to capture the most minute details on the very tops of the buildings from across town... Like the people on the Eiffel Tower from Notre Dame... Unfortunately the Tower was closed for repairs when I was in France BUT the pictures I did get were able to capture all of that - like the COMPLETELY open gothic steeple on the cathedral in Roeun - it is 90% open with exquisitely, ornate stonework... it also happens to be the tallest cathedral in the world.... so yeah I would call my camera a super camera...

--------------------

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05