my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Our Galaxy.......   » Leaving Orbit....   » Black Holes?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: Black Holes?
LumbiaSith

Padawan

Member # 250

posted 04-15-2003 03:22 PM     Profile for LumbiaSith   Author's Homepage   Email LumbiaSith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Where do you think the black hole resides in our galaxy? Do you think that like amny other scientist that it is in the center, or what?

--------------------

"I am here to redeem myself. See, The Fate of the universe lies in my hands! I will take up the challenge!"

-Lumbia Whitfield

Posts: 1143 | From: In space... | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 12.213.76.134
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 04-15-2003 04:13 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh I could go on and on about this one, hehe...

There is a STRONG X-ray source in the constellation of Cygnus, Cyg X-1, that is now commonly accepted as being a black hole. There are many heavy "gravity lens" effects throughout the galaxy as well, as well as other localized X-ray sources...

...but as far as the center of the galaxy goes, yes. It is also commonly believed that there are super-massive black holes in the centers of all galaxies.

[ 04-15-2003 04:14 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.188.199
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 04-16-2003 02:23 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh yes, just to clarify for people who may be interested in these rather exotic "critters":

Black holes DO NOT "suck you in." They are merely the stellar remnants of a collapsing, super-massive star. They still have the same mass as they did before the collapse (well, after the outer parts were blown off in supernovae, that is; the mass remaining is that of what was left after that event occurred). Having the same mass, they have the same gravitational effect: gravity acts as a point source in any body having mass, and weakens inversely with the square of the distance you get away from it. Now, black holes are essentially singularities (point objects) with all the mass they had leftover smushed into that point. Gravity is still acting in regards to that amount of mass, which is the same whether or not the remaining stuff is the leftover star before or after its final collapse. Gravity doesn't care; but the effects are misleading. An object approaching the singularity would appear to be "sucked in," while in actuality it is just being attracted toward the point of gravity just like a satellite above the earth would be attracted back to earth if its orbital velocity slowed.

The difference is that in one instance we would see ourselves "falling toward" a surface, rather than "being sucked into" a something that we cannot see. It's all gravity. (And actually, in the case of the satellite, it is being attracted toward the point of mass at the center of the earth, but the surface of the earth gets in the way. We call that a "crash." Heh.)

And speaking of gravity, this brings me to another misconception. Black holes do emit radiation. It just can't leave. If you think about it, any body has an escape velocity that a ship taking off has to reach in order to escape from the surface. The more massive and dense the body, the greater "oomph" you need to get away. (The faster you have to go.)

Black holes are so massive and dense that the speed of light is not fast enough to escape its surface. (If it has a surface, heh). Thus we don't "see" it, but we sure do observe it's effects.

By definition, a black hole is a severe warpage of spacetime, which essentially is closed off from the rest of the universe. That's as easy as I can make it without diagrams and such.

[ 04-16-2003 02:27 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.209.6
Dash Kelderon

On the Road to Redemption

Member # 427

posted 06-08-2003 11:17 AM     Profile for Dash Kelderon   Author's Homepage   Email Dash Kelderon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Come on GRAY. Let's see some diagrams!!!

--------------------

Those 2 guys may be IDIOTS... but they think the same way I do!

Posts: 655 | From: M.I,A | Registered: Feb 2003  |  Logged: 63.88.67.230
Rykounagin

Son of Conflict

Member # 531

posted 12-05-2004 09:05 PM     Profile for Rykounagin   Author's Homepage   Email Rykounagin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't think she needs that much effort required. I think I got it, unless I'm delusional.

--------------------

"I'm not afraid to keep on living, I'm not afraid to walk this world alone;" -Black Parade

Posts: 869 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  Logged: 70.56.6.223
Major-Konig

Idealistic Jedi

Member # 597

posted 02-16-2005 08:06 PM     Profile for Major-Konig   Author's Homepage   Email Major-Konig     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I beleive that they reside in the center of most galaxies, also (probably) wherever strong x-ray radiation is "present" or being "emitted"

--------------------

The Force is what gives a Jedi his power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together.

Posts: 241 | From: Pennsylvania USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  Logged: 24.238.38.10

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05