my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Our Galaxy.......   » Leaving Orbit....   » The REAL "Lord of the Rings"

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: The REAL "Lord of the Rings"
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 12-16-2002 12:15 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OK folks, this week on the dates of December 17 and 18 Saturn is going to be awesome to view. Not only is it in opposition with the sun (we are between it and the sun) but it is at perihelion in its orbit-- the closest to the sun it gets in its 30 year long orbit. Furthermore, it is tilted toward the sun -- and therefore us as well -- and so its rings are "fully open" right now.

In a nutshell it's the best it's going to be for another thirty years, so if you have a telescope or can get to one, and if the weather complies go out and take a peek.

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.209.6
Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 12-16-2002 08:32 PM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
errr...its going to be raining for the entire week here, sorry, and we will be having vast amounts of endless wind... *doesnt feel safe at school* heh, today a piece of...something almost hit us.

--------------------

"Insert Snappy quote here"

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.225.96.119
LumbiaSith

Padawan

Member # 250

posted 12-16-2002 08:37 PM     Profile for LumbiaSith   Author's Homepage   Email LumbiaSith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Over here it will be rainig as well at night, and possibly wet on the streets, and I dont even got a telescope. Bah

--------------------

"I am here to redeem myself. See, The Fate of the universe lies in my hands! I will take up the challenge!"

-Lumbia Whitfield

Posts: 1143 | From: In space... | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 12.213.76.134
Padme of Hidden Lake

Really Nice Member

Member # 107

posted 12-19-2002 11:35 PM     Profile for Padme of Hidden Lake   Author's Homepage   Email Padme of Hidden Lake     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
All we've had is clouds and snow lately... What is it supposed to be winter already in the great Northeast....

--------------------

A friend once told me "The Turtle Moves" I think we should all remember that right now...
Don't dance to live, live to dance!

Posts: 319 | From: Wandering the planet | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 216.238.140.1
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 12-21-2002 10:32 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sheesh, this thread was not intended for the discussion of one's current weather conditions!

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.209.6
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 01-16-2003 11:09 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just FYI... Saturn will remain in great position to observe for a couple more months. It was just that on the dates mentioned above it happened to be at opposition AND at its absolute closest approach to us.

It's still great viewing; go out and take a gander if you can.

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.188.199
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 01-16-2003 01:17 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
When can we see mars at night?

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 12.220.185.199

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05