my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Our Galaxy.......   » Leaving Orbit....   » ISS and Atlantis

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: ISS and Atlantis
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 10-16-2002 07:30 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OK, tonight and tomorrow will be a great time to see the International Space Station travel overhead of NA, only over these two nights you'll also see the space shuttle Atlantis as well. It had gone up to carry a strut for structural repair of the space station, and undocked from the station this morning (Oct. 16).

You should see two dots rising from near the horizon in the NW, and traveling "up" and eastward. They will be the brightest things in the sky due to where they are in their orbit; the only brighter object would be the sun if it was up. The shuttle, while tiny, is bright because it is painted white and is more reflective.

Begin looking around 7:04 CDT, 8:05-ish EDT. They ought to be visible for nearly 6 minutes.

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 207.28.192.13
Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 10-16-2002 10:15 PM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, it was great... I went outside around 7:06... I saw it about a minute later, and it was gone by 7:10... I have one question, the first one seemed brighter, that was the space station... right?

--------------------

In the absence of light, darkness prevails

Posts: 1163 | From: Ardmore, OK | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 65.80.161.104
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 10-17-2002 01:47 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
From what I have been told, BY THOSE WHO SAW IT (clouds and rain here -- GLOOM) the bigger and brighter one was the space station, and the smaller one the Atlantis.

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.209.6
Smalleyjedi

Member # 149

posted 10-23-2002 09:55 PM     Profile for Smalleyjedi   Author's Homepage   Email Smalleyjedi     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I saw it.....pretty amazing. Im assuming the brighter one would be the space station. I couldnt find it even when i looked straight at it, until like 30 seconds later i looked back and it was above a star it had been below.

--------------------

The force is all, the force takes no sides. The only darkness is in your heart.

Posts: 22 | From: Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  Logged: 205.188.209.6

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05