my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Our Galaxy.......   » Leaving Orbit....   » Mars Mission

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: Mars Mission
Alannidala

unregistered

posted 07-05-2002 03:13 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Anyone else interested in a mission to Mars?
Logged: 65.66.218.109
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 07-06-2002 11:35 AM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Everyone but those who could make it happen, it seems.

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 172.174.159.11
LumbiaSith

Padawan

Member # 250

posted 08-07-2002 11:17 PM     Profile for LumbiaSith   Author's Homepage   Email LumbiaSith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If we do, we are only one step closer ot Uranus, so we can see those incredible cracks that'll weild other planets

--------------------

"I am here to redeem myself. See, The Fate of the universe lies in my hands! I will take up the challenge!"

-Lumbia Whitfield

Posts: 1143 | From: In space... | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 12.213.76.134
BobPalpatine

Foo Fighter

Member # 17

posted 08-11-2002 09:06 PM     Profile for BobPalpatine   Author's Homepage   Email BobPalpatine     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'd really like them to start terra-farming Mars in my lifetime, but somehow I doubt that is going to happen. It can be done, but the amount of resources that would have to be shipped to Mars would prolly cost a whole heck of a lot of money, but I think it'd be worth it.

--------------------

"Can't you hear my motored heart? Your the one that started it!"

-Foo Fighters "Generator"

Cogito ergo sum

BobPalpatine
Holonet Admin

Posts: 681 | From: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  Logged: 204.184.55.141
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 08-24-2002 06:30 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ummm... Lumbia, Uranus is a gas giant. There are no cracks on it that we can see, at least!

Yes, it would be awesome to terra-form Mars, but that's going to take a LOOOOOONG time to do so. I mean, it would take forever to terra-form it to human standards once we began the process. Might not be feasible; since the planet doesn't have a strong enough gravitational field to naturally hold a decent atmosphere, it's going to take many, many years using some kind of plant growth (low light, low pressure, cold temp, little water plants) to increase the oxygen percentage in it. (Most of earth's oxygen came from plankton in the seas, and still does. Terrestrial plants provide some but the majority comes from the oceans.) The air pressure would never be earth normal, but it might get high enough to support a man without an environmental suit on. Then there's the matter of warming the planet up due to greenhouse effects, which would take longer than it does on earth since the planet is so far from the sun.

However, I have hopes that eventually we'll at least send a mission there. There are plenty of resources on the planet to use once we set up an initial base: tons of iron ores, and probably other metals, not to mention water. (OK, so the water is ice at the moment, that can be melted!) I'd envision us setting up protected colonies rather than try to actually terra-form the planet entirely.

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.207.182

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05