my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Our Galaxy.......   » Leaving Orbit....   » AND THE SKY DID SING!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: AND THE SKY DID SING!
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 11-06-2001 12:06 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
WOWZA!!!

OK, tonight was THE NIGHT. Another big ol solar flare erupted yesterday which sent a major coronal mass ejection our way... and this time we were not disappointed here in Iowa. I wish everyone could have seen what I have been out watching for the past couple hours... and intend to keep on watching: MAJOR AURORA BOREALIS. We are talking apple green and deep, brilliant ruby red and yellow streaks and rays and streamers and curtains. The entire sky is lit it seems: at least the whole northern hemisphere right up to 90 degrees overhead. Simply AWESOME. Then toss in a couple meteors and a gibbous moon... sighhhhsssss I wish I could show everyone here this wondrous sight. I can only hope that those readers who live in the northern latitudes (40 degrees N and above) had a chance to go see them... although, to tell the truth, they were so active and bright I woudn't be surprised if peeps farther south got to see them as well.

And that is all...!

[ 11-06-2001 12:08 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.207.199
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 11-07-2001 10:32 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
We could see em here. Course, I couldn't, too damn close to the city. I heard you could see em as far down as San Diego.

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 172.130.223.4
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 11-07-2001 11:18 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes, I heard that as well. Also heard that parts of Florida actually got to see them, too. I'm checking into why it was so active: I don't know if it was the size of the flare (I don't know yet what class it was, but I have a sneaky suspicion it was a Class X one, the biggest) or the speed in which the particles travelled. Usually particles sent our way from a flare take about 3 days to reach us. This took only one! FA-AA-AAST moving babies! They had to be booking...(denotes high energy) because when they hit us they had enough oomph to get fairly deep into our atmosphere. That's why it was so red: the red aurora is the oxygen molecules being energized.

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.197.168

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05