my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Our Galaxy.......   » Leaving Orbit....   » Artificial Gravity

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: Artificial Gravity
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 05-08-2001 06:57 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Anyone know of any sites following the development of Artificial Gravity, or know anything about it? From the looks of it, it really doesn't seem that hard to accomplish, just wondering why it seems there have been no attempts to do it.

------------------
- Anakin
Head Administrator - Bow to me!

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 172.170.146.7
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 05-08-2001 10:44 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OK Ani, I've found a couple links and sent them to ya in an email.

From what I read in the sites I sent links for, artificial gravity has been theoretically possible for a long time. Experiments have been implemented studying spin-induced artificial gravity. But, due to the forces invoked by this method, a conflict between what the eye sees and the inner ear senses results in motion sickness unless the spin is kept low. To keep low spin and maintain a 1 g environment, it looks like you need a big radius. (Ie: you need a heck of a big ship or station!) Another factor is the one concerning "weight" gain and loss as you walk away or toward the spin axis. In an environment such as a spacestation, this loss or gain difference would be able to be felt by moving a matter of inches; that would be extremely uncomfortable, I would think....

At least that's what I got from the articles I read. Have fun wading through them... (and ignore the physics; it's just the mathematical substantiation.)

------------------
[monger=000FFF,FFF000]"I Ride the Stormcloud and the Night!"[/monger]

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.206.208

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05