my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Our Galaxy.......   » Leaving Orbit....   » Space Tourism and the Future of the Program

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: Space Tourism and the Future of the Program
Bidlo Kwerve

Broken Back Button

Member # 109

posted 05-05-2001 06:48 AM     Profile for Bidlo Kwerve   Author's Homepage   Email Bidlo Kwerve     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
First off, if you've paid any attention to the news recently, you've heard about Dennis Tito (sp?), the American multi-millionaire who paid 20 mil to go aboard a Soyuz space rocket with the Russians. I think this is a good idea, if anything, it gets us doing new things in space, which is something we haven't done since the Space Shuttle 20 years ago. I don't think in our lifetime we'll be able to go into space as tourists, (the sheer expense is still too great), but who knows, one day there might be a McDonalds on the Moon.

Also, this raises the issue of what we're doing in space right now. I see absolutely NO reason why we haven't gone back to moon in what, almost 30 years? The single greatest accomplishment of mankind since Prometheus gave us fire (well, then I guess we didn't do that ), and we've made it almost a footnote. I think 1-We should go back to the moon. Number 2, I think within 30 years, we should devote all of our resources to go to Mars. Why? Because it's there. At this point, it would be impossible, of course, but the same thing was said about SPACE travel in the 1930s, and by the end of the 1950s, we were nearly sending men into low orbit, by 1960, the Soviets had a satelite, next Gagarin went up, etc. In 1880, they thought airplanes would be hundreds of years away.

So, you with me on this, or do you want our money spent on some social programs?

------------------
[monger=dc143c,708090]Whenever the shades of night are falling...it's Skyline time[/monger]

Posts: 6 | From: USA | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 152.163.205.81
Padme of Hidden Lake

Really Nice Member

Member # 107

posted 05-05-2001 12:14 PM     Profile for Padme of Hidden Lake   Author's Homepage   Email Padme of Hidden Lake     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm with ya Bidlo - I would love to go into space some time - it would rock - I'd pay just about anything to be a space tourist (can you tell who wanted to be the astronaut when she was a little girl??)

------------------
A friend once told me "The Turtle Moves" I think we should all remember that right now...
Don't dance to live, live to dance!

Posts: 319 | From: Wandering the planet | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 204.168.82.9
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 05-07-2001 08:10 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm with you as well... although for perhaps a more practical reason. At the rate we are using our natural resources, we will be running out... There is a wealth of ore floating about in the asteroid belt, and Mars itself is one big iron oxide lump. Undoubtedly there are other minerals just waiting to be utilized. It would be best, I think, to devote our energies toward finding ways to use the "space junk" that is out there, and save our mother earth from further rape.

Now if we could only get people to see the practically of manmade materials over wood... and if everyone and their mother would only just RECYCLE EVERYTHING....

------------------
[monger=000FFF,FFF000]"I Ride the Stormcloud and the Night!"[/monger]

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 64.12.104.29
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 05-07-2001 08:24 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The only problem with that is the rest of the world has it in thier head that it won't matter to them in thier lifetime, so why should they worry about it......ignorance.

------------------
- Anakin
Head Administrator - Bow to me!

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 172.139.166.127
Shayla Stargazer Petrolu

Adept

Member # 123

posted 10-28-2001 10:21 PM     Profile for Shayla Stargazer Petrolu   Author's Homepage   Email Shayla Stargazer Petrolu     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Biddy has posted on this board before???

And yeah, by the way, space tourism would be awesome. My mother doesn't understand why we have the need to explore space...she thinks it's too much of a risk and all.

But we have had many a great thing arise from the space program that benefits us even here (PLASTIC, ETC.)

And we have to keep in mind the possibility of needing natural resources from other planets, etc.

--------------------

"Small minds think in small terms!"
~~CMH~~
(I am NOT turning to the Darkside...)

Posts: 1711 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: Jun 2001  |  Logged: 66.20.157.210

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05