my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Our Galaxy.......   » Leaving Orbit....   » What are the chances...

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: What are the chances...
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 11-30-2000 04:03 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok, what are the chances, on another planet, or many other planets, things are the same exact way they are here? I mean, everything is made up of the same suff, so couldn't it be possible?

------------------
Anakin
[monger=ff0000,ffffff]Holonet Jedi Master[/monger]
Forum Administrator

-Have you mowed your lawn today?-
-Mama always said life was like a box of chocolates.....-
-People bring out the worst in me-

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 204.33.52.252
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 11-30-2000 06:03 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I won't give you any odds on this, but I believe chances are very good that there are other planets somewhere in the universe with a similar geomorphology and chemistry as the Earth. The stuff our solar system is made from originated in a supernova; these occur about once every few hundred years or so, I believe; there are many remnants of supernovae in the Galaxy. (Veil Nebula, Crab Nebula are but two.) So, material such as that which has made our solar system probably has likewise made other stars and planetary systems elsewhere.

Biologist have tackled this question, and have concluded that the "best" and most prevalent body type enabling an entity to "take command" of the world on which it lives, so to speak, would be one similar to us: bipedal, equilateral symmetry, opposable thumb. There might be minor variations. But all would probably be humanoid in appearance. To advance, one needs a manipulative appendage of some sort, and to use it, one must be at least bipedal.

BUT: to think of another planet identical to earth in every way, right down to the individuals upon it, is ridiculous. (This has been touted in sci-fi films, where exploring astronauts land on Planet X or whatever, and meet "themselves" and so on.) No two sets of circumstances will ever really occur simultaneously (statistically speaking, the odds are incalculable) and it is the environment that shapes the individual.
------------------
[monger=000FFF,FFF000]"I Ride the Stormcloud and the Night!"[/monger]

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Graysith on November 30, 2000]

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.198.42
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 11-30-2000 08:06 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yea, and if the environment is the same, then the people could be...

------------------
Anakin
[monger=ff0000,ffffff]Holonet Jedi Master[/monger]
Forum Administrator

-Have you mowed your lawn today?-
-Mama always said life was like a box of chocolates.....-
-People bring out the worst in me-

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 204.33.53.219

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05