my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Our Galaxy.......   » Leaving Orbit....   » Orion The Hunter

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: Orion The Hunter
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 10-07-2000 02:03 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OK folks, thought I'd drag myself out of cold storage and get to posting in this forum once again!

Now rising in the east, easily seen now around midnight, and being seen earlier and earlier in the night as we go on from autumn into winter, is the constellation of stars known to the ancient Greeks as Orion the Hunter.

According to Greco-Roman mythology, Orion was a mighty and boastful hunter, claiming he was so good that no animal could kill him. This angered the goddess Hera, and she sent a tiny scorpion to sting Orion and kill him (but not before the hunter managed to in turn smash the scorpion). Orion and the scorpion were then placed in the Heavens together, but at opposite ends of the sky. Thus when Orion is rising in the east, Scorpio is setting in the west. The two will never be seen in the sky together!

The shape of a man is easily imagined in the group of stars making up the constellation of Orion: it consists primarily of a large rectangle of four stars, with a slightly slanted line of three smaller stars forming the belt of the hunter, and from which in turn "hang" three tinier stars yet that form his sword. The middle "star" in the sword is no star, but actually a molecular cloud in which new stars are being created. This celestial object is called the Great Orion Nebula, can be discerned faintly by the naked eye on a dark night as being a tiny fuzzy blob, and is wonderfully seen through an ordinary pair of field binoculars.

Orion is a useful celestial pointer to other stars in the nearby heavens: from him, using pointer stars, one may "navigate" to the constellations of Gemini, Taurus, Canis Major and Canis Minor (the Big Dog and the Little Dog respectively, Orion's two hunting dogs).

This is one of my personal favorites as far as constellations go, although I hate to see it rising in the east. I know when I see it, that winter is just around the corner!

------------------
[monger=000FFF,FF0000]"I Ride the Stormcloud and the Night!"[/monger]

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Graysith on October 07, 2000]

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 209.255.158.122
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 10-14-2000 02:30 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OK, yours truly has finally dug up some piccies to post here. Courtesy of "astropix.com," here is the first of two:

1. This first one is a wide angle photo of the constellation Orion. The orangey-red star about upper middle is the red giant Betelgeuse; this is a star that is a good candidate for going supernovae. It fluctuates in brightness over a period of I believe 18 months or so.

The bright blue star lower right is Rigel, a young, hot blue-white giant. In the middle, and laying horizontal in this picture, are the three stars making up Orion's belt. Hanging from the belt is his sword; you can clearly see the nebulosity in the 2nd "star" of his belt. This is the great Orion Nebula, M42.

------------------
[monger=000FFF,FFF000]"I Ride the Stormcloud and the Night!"[/monger]

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Graysith on October 14, 2000]

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 209.255.158.221
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 10-14-2000 02:40 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
And here is the second picture, again courtesy of astropix.com:

2. This is an astrophoto of the beautiful Great Nebula in Orion, otherwise rather mundanely known as M42. It is a region which is a star nursery, where new stars are being made. It is about 1500 light years away from us. (That means anything travelling at the speed of light ~186,000 miles every second~ would take 1500 years to get to us. Multiply 186,000 x 60 x 60 x 24 x 365 x 1500 and that's how many miles away from us this is!) The gases here are primarily hydrogen.

Below M42 is a blue splotch, NGC 1975. This is an area of dust clouds and gas lanes. The blue is produced by reflected starlight upon the dust which is there. The faint red is actual light being emitted by stars hidden within.

Of all the celestial objects in the heavens, this is one of my absolute favorites. And I want to remind you again, it is clearly seen with ordinary field binoculars (the color is not as vivid, however; you need sensitive film to catch that.)

------------------

[Edited 2 times, lastly by Graysith on October 14, 2000]

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 209.255.158.221
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 10-14-2000 04:31 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I like the second picture better

------------------
Anakin
[monger=ff0000,ffffff]Holonet Jedi Master[/monger]
Forum Administrator

-Have you mowed your lawn today?-
-Trying is the first step towards failure......-
-Mama always said life was like a box of chocolates.....-
-People bring out the worst in me-

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 38.31.224.92
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 10-14-2000 07:56 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes Ani, those big ol molecular clouds are really quite impressive! To see another one, go to "Baby Star Nursery," and see the molecular cloud that is the Trifid Nebula, another place where baby stars are being born. This nebula, though, is destined not to produce as many new stars: it is fairly close to another massive star whose gravitational attraction is "stealing" the matter of the nebula! It is slowly being torn apart!

Anyway, I posted both pics: one to show the actual Orion Nebula, and the other one to show the constellation it is in, so you can find it yourself with binoculars.

------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.199.157

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05