my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Our Galaxy.......   » Leaving Orbit....   » Possible Aurora

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: Possible Aurora
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-26-2000 06:23 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OK, here we go again! The Sun let go another (if fainter) coronal mass ejection Saturday, which should arrive at the earth sometime the 27th of September, causing the possibility of aurora in the midlatitudes once again. That's the conterminous United States, folks! So Wednesday night start looking to the north sometime after local sunset this time. Let's hope for the best; the moon is approaching its new phase, so we won't have it's blasted light to contend with!

WATCH THE SKY!

------------------
[monger=000FFF,FF0000]"I Ride the Stormcloud and the Night!"[/monger]

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 209.255.158.208
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 09-26-2000 10:27 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Is it me or does the sun seem to have a lot of gas

Pun intended

------------------
Anakin
[monger=ff0000,ffffff]Holonet Jedi Master[/monger]
Forum Administrator

-Have you mowed your lawn today?-
-Trying is the first step towards failure......-
-Mama always said life was like a box of chocolates.....-
-People bring out the worst in me-

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 166.62.175.88
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-26-2000 10:46 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well--considering that the Sun IS a big ball of gas...!

------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.207.196
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-26-2000 11:31 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Chuckles

OK, let's get a little serious. The sun, as I believe I previously mentioned, rotates at different velocities at different latitudes, because it is a gas (which flows similar to a liquid). Because there is what is called "differential rotation," electric currents are generated, which in turn induce a magnetic field. The lines of magnetic force get sort of "twisted" since parts of the sun rotate faster than other parts (equatorial regions go faster than the poles) which finally intensify to produce sunspot pairs of opposite polarity.

Sunspots are areas of extremely intense magnetic force. It is from these areas that solar flares (or coronal mass ejections) erupt, which shoot tons of particles out into the solar wind (and eventually impact upon the inner planets.) These flares occur when the aforementioned twisted magnetic field lines suddenly "untwist." More such flares than usual occur during the sunspot maximum in the Sun's 11-year cycle.

We are now at the height of the Sun's solar activity cycle: we are at what we call "Sunspot Maximum." Thus we can expect quite a few CMEs to be shot forth, as indeed they have been!

So again, this is why the Sun seems to be "burping" so much lately!

Note: the full cycle of sunspots and solar activity is actually a full 44 years, but I will not go into that much detail here.

------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.207.196
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 09-27-2000 03:25 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh yea I remember talking about that in Science class last year. This is like year 11 in the cyclke thing or something.....

------------------
Anakin
[monger=ff0000,ffffff]Holonet Jedi Master[/monger]
Forum Administrator

-Have you mowed your lawn today?-
-Trying is the first step towards failure......-
-Mama always said life was like a box of chocolates.....-
-People bring out the worst in me-

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 166.62.175.110

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05