my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Our Galaxy.......   » Leaving Orbit....   » The Pruny Grapes...

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: The Pruny Grapes...
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 09-21-2000 09:18 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Graysith knows what I'm talking about when I say Pruny Grapes, maybe she'll explain it to you. But this is a question for her since shes not on AIM/AOL right now.

Grapes have skin, our Universe has....?
And which way do we travel to reach it?

------------------
Anakin
[monger=ff0000,ffffff]Holonet Jedi Master[/monger]
Forum Administrator

-Have you mowed your lawn today?-
-Trying is the first step towards failure......-
-Mama always said life was like a box of chocolates.....-
-People bring out the worst in me-

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 166.62.175.135
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-21-2000 10:38 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Our Universe, I believe, does not possess a "skin" or an "outside edge" as you are thinking. That reflects linear thought; our spacetime is curved, and curves in on itself. If you travel far enough in the same direction, you will arrive back where you started from.

The expansion of the Universe due to the Big Bang is difficult to picture without thinking of the Universe as a "sphere." With the exception of galaxies gravitationally bound in Local Groups, everything is expanding away from everything in all directions. Everything is expanding from that "beginning point," which we are getting closer in determining by viewing celestial objects farther and farther away from us. Because of the immense distance involved, as well as the speed of light, we are actually looking "backward" in Time. Hence, we are looking closer and closer to the time when the Big Bang occurred.

For example, looking at the Great Andromeda Galaxy we "see" it as it appeared 2.2 million years ago. It is 2.2 million light years away from us. The most distant object we have been able to determine is approximately 15-20 billion light years away from us. Thus, we know the Universe is at least that old.

Back to the "edge" thing. Remember, spacetime is created in the Big Bang. Everything expands from everything. We look out and see things farther and farther away, which are farther and farther in the past Extrapolating backwards then: all celestial objects exist at their own local "edges" of the Universe. The "now" is the "edge." Beyond that? The Future. It's a relative, temporal thing.

------------------
[monger=000FFF,FF0000]"I Ride the Stormcloud and the Night!"[/monger]

[Edited 2 times, lastly by Graysith on September 21, 2000]

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.198.174

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05