my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Our Galaxy.......   » Leaving Orbit....   » When the earth is gone....

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: When the earth is gone....
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 09-20-2000 09:54 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Do you think humans will live on? It's nice to think we will, but where would we go? And could we all go, or only the important people. We only have 2 billion years at most (only ) but, whatcha thinks gonna happen?

------------------
Anakin
[monger=ff0000,ffffff]Holonet Jedi Master[/monger]
Forum Administrator

-Have you mowed your lawn today?-
-Trying is the first step towards failure......-
-Mama always said life was like a box of chocolates.....-
-People bring out the worst in me-

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 166.62.165.74
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-20-2000 10:45 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I can imagine the following two scenarios:

1. Man goes on, but evolves into something we would not recognize as man in the least.

2. The earth would experience another Mass Extinction Event (which have been going on at regular intervals of several million years throughout Earth's history) and PFFT! We'd be history. Something else would evolve to fill the niche.

Man is transient, as is all other life on this earth. Until it's internal heat engine finally dies, the earth will survive.

------------------
[monger=000FFF,FF0000]"I Ride the Stormcloud and the Night!"[/monger]

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.198.49
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 09-20-2000 10:51 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, if you want to think of us as not being special, which is hard not to if you're an atheist (not sure what you are though) then number 2 could be it. But, we'll have to leave (if we're still around) in 1-2 billion years because thats when the Ozone Layer (or something) is gonna be gone, and if we stay we'll al end up like the aussie's, fried in the brain by the radiation . So we'll have to leave earth before the sun is gone, but we could always head on over to mars..

------------------
Anakin
Forum Administrator

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 166.62.165.74
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-20-2000 11:01 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hehehe-- unless we change our tune, and do so quickly, we may be gone sooner than we think! We will have used up all our resources; probably devolve into anarchy or something like that; heck, I'm no sociologist!

And hey, NASA is actually considering Mars as a next step, since we have evidence of water there....

And personally, I'm not a "deist" of any kind. I am a realist. In my humble opinion, Man has some sort of love of self, to place himself as being in the image of a god, for pity's sake!

This comment does not necessarily represent the opinion of this site, and is only the expression of one of its members....

------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.198.49
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 09-20-2000 11:10 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So, you think humans are no more special than dogs or bugs? And that we created this image that we are some sort of special being? I'm not saying its a bad belief or a good one, I just hope its wrong

------------------
Anakin
Forum Administrator

Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-20-2000 11:37 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hehehe... sorry, Ani, as much as we want to believe we are something special, I truly believe that as far as the Earth and the Universe in general is concerned, we are just another lifeform. Maybe a more manipulative and clever lifeform, perhaps not necessarily smarter in the long run! Possibly just an evolutionary "test" to see which works out best in the long run: brains or brawn!

------------------

Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 09-21-2000 03:36 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Then, how do you explain ghosts? People say they've seen them, and it's hard not to believe. And what about all the 'real' psychics? A lot of them can 'speak for the dead'. How do you explain all of that stuff? Just Lies?

------------------
Anakin
Forum Administrator

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 166.62.175.135
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-21-2000 04:08 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
*sigh*

Yep... albeit, perhaps unconscious lies at best.

It is my firm belief that people WANT to believe there is a life after death, they WANT to believe there is a "happy-ever-after," they WANT to believe someone older and wiser is looking out for our precious little selves; and so we create a myriad worlds ranging from alien abductions to seeing ghosts and psychic phenomena to religious doctrines promising us this rosy "future." (Of course in the case of the latter, we must all "pay our dues" in one way or another, in a manner of speaking!)

Until some sort of replicable proof of the existence of ghosts can be found, I'm afraid I am going to put it all down under the heading of "Wishful Thinking." People can say what they want; there's always someone somewhere who will listen....

This comment is merely that of one of the members of this site, and may not represent the opinion of the site as a whole.

------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.195.198
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 09-21-2000 04:24 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm not a strong believer in god, but I find it too hard (or I don't want to) to believe that there is nothing after this life...

------------------
Anakin
Forum Administrator

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 166.62.175.135
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-21-2000 05:07 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
How so? We are but matter, and primarily space and water to boot! Matter has organized itself into elements, which has formed into atoms and molecules within us. Electricity gives us "life," it operates our nervous system (I am being extremely general, here). We can replicate this (to a very lesser degree) in our computers.

We are nothing but a wonderfully culminating apex of physicality. Nothing mysterious about it. Even though we want it to be.

And at this point let me differentiate between "life ever-after" and our connections to life in the here and now. I do also believe there is a connecting "energy field" if you will, of which we are all a part. Or perhaps it is one we just radiate naturally, as a vibrant living being. I don't know what it is, I don't know if it can be manipulated or not (perhaps this is the source of such phenomena as psychokinesis and ESP)--however, what I do know is that I think it does exist, for I have felt it through Ta'i Chi.

It remains a mystery at the moment, but perhaps due only to our lack of advanced enough testing devices.

------------------

[Edited 4 times, lastly by Graysith on September 21, 2000]

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.192.52
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 09-21-2000 05:25 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, maybe there is more to what we know. We know we're all made of matter, but maybe there is something more, I don't know what. And people don't believe this, and they think the way you do, because there is absolutely no evidence to support it. And I'm not saying is all this religious mumbo jumbo, something...else.

------------------
Anakin
Forum Administrator

Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-21-2000 05:33 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hehehe... Ani, I fear these "mysterious ramblings of elseness" are simply falling into the category of "Wishful Thinking" once again!

Proof proves. All else is speculation.

------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.204.206
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 09-21-2000 05:57 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Or, I'm right and you're refusing to see what I'm talking about...

------------------
Anakin
Forum Administrator

Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-21-2000 10:24 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
*sigh

Ok, so you tell me. If there is absolutely no evidence to prove something exists, does it exist?

Thinking like this smacks of Medievelism. Give me the Age of Scientific Enlightenment.

I am not saying whatever it is you are talking about CANNOT exist. I am saying that at the present moment, we cannot prove it does. Science seeks truth; it does not close it's mind to new theories and hypotheses. But it does NOT exist on speculation alone. Many old theories have been disproven and new theories have taken their place throughout history. But in all cases, to justify the new, replicable experiments had to result in redundant data. Theories are NOT based on "maybes, ifs and wishes."

------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.198.174
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 09-21-2000 10:59 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You sound offended, don't be. I'm just saing it's possible, and you just won't consider it. Nothing wrong with that.

------------------
Anakin
Forum Administrator

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 166.62.175.97
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-21-2000 11:27 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey, no offense here. And I see where you are coming from.

BUT~

Where I do take offense is when the "maybe-ifs" are illogically jumped upon with no real, replicable proofs, and people sort of "talk themselves into believing" unproven so-called "facts" simply because someone says something happened. There is a razor's edge to walk here. It's easy to "believe" in something because we want to believe in it, especially if someone declares evidence exists to support it.

But if that evidence cannot be replicated in a controlled environment, it cannot be considered as data. Redundant data proves hypotheses, and helps create theories. In simpler words, data that can be tested positively over and over proves a former "speculation," and now we have a brand-new fact.

Again, otherwise all we have is speculation. And yeah, we can speculate until we are blue in the face, and consider all possibilities. That does not make something truly real. It has not been satisfactorily proven.

I repeat: proofs prove.

------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.198.174
BobPalpatine

Foo Fighter

Member # 17

posted 09-26-2000 11:29 PM     Profile for BobPalpatine   Author's Homepage   Email BobPalpatine     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Graysith: You go on about how you want proof but you beleive in the Big Bang theory and other evolution theory's? There is no cold hard proof in any of those either...

I have a question...I know some of you don't beleive in a god and I want to know how did the Universe start? Don't tell me the Big Bang because there was matter there too? What created that. How can something appear out of nothing? It has to start somewhere.

Another thing...I'm a firm beleiver in God and Jesus Christ. I beleive that after I die I will go to heaven. I beleive that there is a afterlife and there are forces that we cannot explain.

Um....thats all I really feel like saying right now...

Ohh and don't take offense to things so quickly Graysith...and be open to new things. Trust me...new isn't to bad

------------------
[monger=ff0000,ffff00]I'm from the Lou and I'm proud...[/monger]

BobPalpatine
Holonet Moderator

Posts: 681 | From: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  Logged: 204.184.54.200
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-27-2000 06:19 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I haven't seen anything "new" posted here yet. And obviously people are totally misunderstanding what I am saying here. Trust me in turn; I am the last person to take offense against anything new and radical. Indeed, it is the attempt to prove new and radical hypotheses that has led us to this stage in Scientific Enlightenment (as I like to put it!).

I am just saying unless there is proof, we cannot say with 100% certainty that something is true. Please note, this includes the Big Bang Theory as well! We have much supportive data, but this is not 100% proven. I just happen to personally believe in this.

Again, what I take offense to is when people believe in something out of wishful thinking. Without considering any evidence whatsoever. I believe in the Big Bang Theory because I feel what we have already discovered strongly lends credence to this theory.

As far as the Universe question, we can liken it to "God": Who created God?

In my humble opinion, Man did. And that's all I'm going to say on this touchy subject. As I mentioned before, cosmologists are working on where the matter in the universe came from; the sudden appearance of virtual pairs has been shown to be true. (You'd better be thankful; it's due to these guys that black holes are actually shrinking!)

Again, the comments posted in this reply reflect the opinions of Graysith, and do not necessarily represent the opinions of this site as a whole

------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.198.54

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05