my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Our Galaxy.......   » Leaving Orbit....   » The end of the universe!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: The end of the universe!
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 09-20-2000 09:50 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The Subject could be two different questions, mine is: Well, I don't know how to phrase it, I don't think our minds are big enough to imagine it all. But the edge of the universe....is there one? I know people say it goes on forever, but how can It go on forever, most of us believe everything has a begining and an end, therefore the universe has to end somewhere, right? I doubt it will ever be proven, if there is an end, but whatcha think?

------------------
Anakin
[monger=ff0000,ffffff]Holonet Jedi Master[/monger]
Forum Administrator

-Have you mowed your lawn today?-
-Trying is the first step towards failure......-
-Mama always said life was like a box of chocolates.....-
-People bring out the worst in me-

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 166.62.165.74
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-20-2000 10:03 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Actually, Ani, there kind of is an edge to the Universe. Remember the expansion of all the primordial stuff, creating SpaceTime as it goes along? Well, I think all the stars, galaxies, planets, superstrings, molecular clouds, interstellar molecules, mysterious Dark Matter, the whole she-bang that comprises our Universe is in itself the "edge" of the Universe. The farther "out" we observe our universe, using better and bigger telescopes (the most recent, the Hubble Space Telescope), the farther back into time we look. In other words, we are thus looking back toward the beginning. Extrapolating backwards puts us where we are today: the "here and now," the current Universe, and thus the "edge." You have to quite thinking linearly, and begin thinking in "SpaceTime" mode. (Remember, space and time cannot exist independently of each other.)

------------------
[monger=000FFF,FF0000]"I Ride the Stormcloud and the Night!"[/monger]

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.205.31
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 09-20-2000 10:10 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
whoa...I was thinking the right way for a second but I lost it...I was thinking kinda like a picture, has sides and such, but I guess what you're saying is the Universe is a timeline, and it should be thought of like that...this is cool. But! This is a nice way to think, but as you travel through space, you aren't traveling through time...well, I guess it could be, ya know..but what you see go by you stars and such are all present time right? Then if you went far enough you wouldn't travel to the begining of time, but the edge of the Universe right?

------------------
Anakin
Forum Administrator

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 166.62.165.74
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-20-2000 10:26 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Actually, Ani, the light we see from all stars, including our own sun, is not "current" as far as a watch on our wrist would have it. Light travels approximately 186,000 miles per second; the earth is 93 million miles from the Sun. It's light takes 8 minutes to reach us. It is like looking back into Time by 8 minutes.

As we observe stars farther and farther away from us, we are really observing how they did look at some past time. For all we know the Great Andromeda Galaxy might not be there anymore! We won't know for another 2.2 million years; it is 2.2 million light-years away from us.

The farther "out" we look, really, the farther back in time we are seeing. Current placement, here and how, represents an "edge" to the known universe. I think it's probably another one of those "relative things."

Think of it this way: picture a balloon covered with spots. Blow up the balloon bigger: all the spots move away from each other, every one of them. It's the same thing with all the current "stuff" in the Universe: all the galaxies are moving away from each other (except those in local clusters, which are gravitationally attracted to each other, like us and Andromeda and the Magellanic Clouds and others)-- thus, we are all our own "edge" to the Universe!

------------------

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Graysith on September 20, 2000]

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.198.49
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 09-20-2000 10:33 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
We wouldn't know if the Andromeda Galaxy is there for 2.2 million years, UNLESS we went and looked, ya know take our lil space ships (pretend they have light speed) and see if its there. Now being literal, I guess, is there a physical end the the universe?

------------------
Anakin
Forum Administrator

Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-20-2000 10:41 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes. It is where we are, for us. It is where the Great Galactic Cluster in Virgo is, for those clusters. It is where each galaxy occupies the SpaceTime it does.

Maybe it would be easier to think of the "edge" as the "future."

------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.198.49
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 09-20-2000 10:44 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I guess the question I wanted an answer too can't be answered...oh well, maybe when we die we'll know everything...anyone else want to comment on this discussion?

------------------
Anakin
Forum Administrator

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05