my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Our Galaxy.......   » Leaving Orbit....   » Ding-Dong...

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: Ding-Dong...
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-14-2000 10:39 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OK, as long as we've been on the topic of the Sun and all, I thought I'd just pass along this little bit of interesting information.

Compression waves have been measured in the convection layers of the sun. Ie: sound waves. Thought to be generated because of the motions of gases of different densities and temperatures. Because these gases have different densities and different temperatures, they act as a "confining" resonance chamber, like the metal tube of a flute acts reacts with the compression waves the flutist provides by blowing into it.

The net result? The sun is "singing!" From what I've read, the sounds it produces are in a deep bass range. Kewl, ey?

------------------
[monger=000FFF,FF0000]"I Ride the Stormcloud and the Night!"[/monger]

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.200.49
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 09-14-2000 06:04 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
get us a recording or something!!

------------------
Anakin
[monger=ff0000,ffffff]Holonet Jedi Master[/monger]
Forum Administrator

-Have you mowed your lawn today?-
-Trying is the first step towards failure......-
-Mama always said life was like a box of chocolates.....-
-People bring out the worst in me-

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 166.62.175.90
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-14-2000 11:07 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sorry, Ani, I don't believe this is possible. In order to get a recording, we would have to have the recording device in the convective layer of the sun itself: it's just a tad bit hot. We don't quite have the technology yet, I don't think. And the compression waves cannot travel through space to get to us. (Sound needs a medium through which to travel, unlike light.)

*heaves a sigh* But it's nice to know we have a stellar performer within our lonely lil ol solar system, isn't it?

------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.197.158
Gouyen Chee

Member # 31

posted 09-15-2000 01:46 PM     Profile for Gouyen Chee   Email Gouyen Chee     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmmm... I wonder what ol' Sol could be singing....

Sunshine Of Your Love?

You Are the Sunshine Of My Life?

You Are My Sunshine?

Sunshine On My Shoulder?

And on a more serious note (B flat), has anyone done a recreation of what the sun might sound like if we could actually hear it? Might be kind of interesting.....

------------------
Never underestimate the power of the dark side....
*Gouyen*

Posts: 69 | From: The Left Coast | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 209.178.129.177
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-16-2000 12:10 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Interesting question, Lady Chee! I'll grab the ear of my astronomy contacts here and see if anyone knows anything about this. If I can find a midi or something, I'll be sure to get it loaded into the Pod!

------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.207.196

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05