my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Our Galaxy.......   » Leaving Orbit....   » Here We Go Again!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: Here We Go Again!
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-12-2000 11:09 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OK, folks, start watching the sky again! This morning the sun shot forth another spectacular full-halo coronal mass ejection (around 8:13 EDT); these lil protons, whizzing along at a rate of 986 km/s (which for you non-metric folk translates to about 2.24 million miles per hour) is due to hit the earth on Thursday, approximately 41 hours after being ejected from the sun's corona.

What does this mean? Another great chance for aurora in the midlatitudes (that's most of the United States! ) as well as a good possibility of radio and tv disruptions once again. Watch for aurora about midnight your local time this Thursday, September 14.

And on this note, I will report that today's latest piccie of the sun showed a mere one teeny tiny sunspot marring it's face: the lowest sunspot activity to date this year. But this doesn't mean that the solar sunspot max is over... it should in fact last another year.

I think she's just winding up for another big blast, hehehe!

------------------
[monger=000FFF,FF0000]"I Ride the Stormcloud and the Night!"[/monger]

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Graysith on September 12, 2000]

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 209.255.159.189
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 09-13-2000 09:30 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Would that be 12am on September 14th or 15th? Anyways, it's 9:30 and a lil earlier the radio was messing up...ahh!! There it went again!! I'll haver to go out side and have a looksie.....but could that be why the radio just went to dead air?

------------------
Anakin
[monger=ff0000,ffffff]Holonet Jedi Master[/monger]
Forum Administrator

-Have you mowed your lawn today?-
-Trying is the first step towards failure......-
-Mama always said life was like a box of chocolates.....-
-People bring out the worst in me-

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 166.62.43.93
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-14-2000 12:02 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The date I was given was the night of Thursday the 14th. But according to my calculations, and allowing for error, the ejection should strike the earth's magnetosphere 36-41 hours after it initially occurred. Which would put it closer to midnight tonight. If your radio was screwing up, that may be heralding it's approach. Symtoms usually include your normal station disappearing, and then receiving another, far more distant, station in its place.

The CME which occurred on August 12 was travelling faster than originally calculated. This one may be doing likewise. Can't hurt to look... and once again we have a blasted full moon!

We MIGHT get lucky and have a strong enough aurora to overcome the brilliance of that harvest moon. The "exploding" flare headed in our direction was a pretty spectacular one, according to what I've read. High proton density and fast velocity!

So anyway, go out and look. I'll keep everyone posted as to how things look here in the Midwest.

------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.207.198
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-17-2000 12:29 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Everybody, keep watching! Between Friday the 15th and Saturay the 16th, THREE full-halo mass ejections were erupted from the Sun, and are heading our way. We should experience aurora into the midlatitudes once again upon their arrival, sometime tonight (9/17/00) and tomorrow night.

Wow, is the sun active at the moment!

------------------

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Graysith on September 17, 2000]

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.204.179

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05