my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Our Galaxy.......   » Leaving Orbit....   » Pink Harvest Moon??

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: Pink Harvest Moon??
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-11-2000 07:44 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OK readers, here's another bit of info for your edification!

This Wednesday, September 13, 2000, is the next night the moon rises as a full moon. But what makes this moonrise so special is that it will be what is called the "Harvest Moon."

What is that, you might ask? Simply the full moon rising closest to the September equinox, which is September 22. BUT, due to orbital relationships at this time, there is yet another way in which this particular moonrise is special: normally, the moon rises 50 minutes later each night. During equinox however, it rises only 30 minutes later, and does so during a window of a couple days on either side of the equinox. What this meant back in the days before brilliant headlights on tractors and such was that there was a lesser period of darkness between sunset and moonrise; farmers could see to harvest well into the night.

What might make this week's full moonrise particularly interesting is a large sandstorm in progress in the Sahara, as well as all the fires currently in the western U.S. There are a lot of aerosols floating about to scatter light; look for a "bloated" and possibly pink Harvest moon this Wednesday!

------------------
"I Ride the Stormcloud and the Night!"

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Graysith on September 11, 2000]

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 209.255.159.187
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 09-11-2000 08:04 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmm....what happened to the moon less then a year ago that I went outback to see it? All I remember is making sure I went to look, but I don't remember what it.....wait! It was a.....a...forgot the word, R2 took pictures of it, it was tight...

------------------
Anakin
[monger=ff0000,ffffff]Holonet Jedi Master[/monger]
Forum Administrator

-Have you mowed your lawn today?-
-Trying is the first step towards failure......-
-Mama always said life was like a box of chocolates.....-
-People bring out the worst in me-

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 166.62.165.86
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-11-2000 11:06 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmmm... could you possibly be speaking of a lunar eclipse?

------------------
[monger=000FFF,FF0000]"I Ride the Stormcloud and the Night!"[/monger]

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Graysith on September 11, 2000]

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.195.188
BobPalpatine

Foo Fighter

Member # 17

posted 09-11-2000 11:24 PM     Profile for BobPalpatine   Author's Homepage   Email BobPalpatine     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
LOL...I guess I missed it....

------------------
[monger=ff0000,ffff00]I'm from the Lou and I'm proud...[/monger]

BobPalpatine
Holonet Moderator

Posts: 681 | From: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  Logged: 204.184.55.178

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05