my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Our Galaxy.......   » Leaving Orbit....   » Ever See Armaggeddon?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: Ever See Armaggeddon?
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-01-2000 09:50 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OK, so it's not a comet. BUT! a small celestial body going by the name of 2000 QW7 is interesting in its own right: today it passed less than 3,000,000 million miles from the earth.

What is 2000 QW7, you ask? It is a half-kilometer wide asteroid, a little smaller than the one thought to trigger the KT dinosaur extinction, and probably originated in the belt between Jupiter and Mars. Being in an orbit that brings it this close to the earth places it in the category of Near Earth Objects, sub-heading "Potentially Hazardous Asteroids,"... along with about 266 others that we know of!

2000 QW7 is a relative newcomer to this elite group: we didn't discover it until last Saturday. But in it's near-miss trajectory (by astronomical standards) it is not alone: last month, four such NEOs came within spitting distance of us.

It happens quite often, folks. Sleep tight!

------------------
"I Ride the Stormcloud and the Night!"

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.195.196
Gouyen Chee

Member # 31

posted 09-07-2000 04:22 PM     Profile for Gouyen Chee   Email Gouyen Chee     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Er, Graysith, are you sure about the distance you quoted? As I read it, you said it was three million, million miles, which is a long way off. Now, three million miles is a lot closer -- only twelve times farther away than the moon by my reckoning. That would make the QW designation stand for "Quite Worrisome."

------------------
Never underestimate the power of the dark side....
*Gouyen*

Posts: 69 | From: The Left Coast | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 209.178.128.99
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-07-2000 07:50 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oops! hehehe *blushes*

Major typo, kekeke... lemme fix that! It should read a mere 3,000,000 OR 3 million miles!

That's what I get for writing these too fast!

------------------
"I Ride the Stormcloud and the Night!"

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.195.206

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05