my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Our Galaxy.......   » Leaving Orbit....   » Pictures!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: Pictures!
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 08-28-2000 10:52 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Can we have some pictures of other planets outside our solar system? Are there any really good ones?

------------------
Anakin
[monger=ff0000,ffffff]Holonet Jedi Master[/monger]
Forum Administrator

-Have you mowed your lawn today?-
-Trying is the first step towards failure......-
-Mama always said life was like a box of chocolates.....-
-People bring out the worst in me-

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 206.148.195.95
BobPalpatine

Foo Fighter

Member # 17

posted 08-28-2000 11:09 PM     Profile for BobPalpatine   Author's Homepage   Email BobPalpatine     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
As far as I know...there are other planets...but we don't have good pictures of them...hell we barely have a good photo of Pluto so we don't have pics of other planets...um...but I think some Nebula pictures would be cool...just suggesting...

------------------
[monger=ff0000,ffff00]I got the rap industry clock clock on lock![/monger]

BobPalpatine
Holonet Moderator

Posts: 681 | From: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  Logged: 204.184.55.156
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 08-28-2000 11:15 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Are you referring to such "nebulosities" as M47 in Orion, or the Ring Nebula or such? I think our club has some; I'll see what I can do. I can also scout out some astronomy sites and bring pics here from other places if you want....

Oh yes, we do not have any pics of any planets outside of our system. They are too far away.

------------------
"I Ride the Stormcloud and the Night!"

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.206.196
BobPalpatine

Foo Fighter

Member # 17

posted 08-28-2000 11:25 PM     Profile for BobPalpatine   Author's Homepage   Email BobPalpatine     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have seen the best picture we have of Pluto and Charon(sp?) and I'm wondering how they got as much info as they have from it...They look like 2 bright dots...I don't remember the name of the artist but he is an astrnomer and he did some painting of how a planet would look like if you were on it...my astronomy teacher really liked it..I'll get the name of the guy from him.

------------------
[monger=ff0000,ffff00]I got the rap industry clock clock on lock![/monger]

BobPalpatine
Holonet Moderator

Posts: 681 | From: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  Logged: 204.184.55.156
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-01-2000 10:22 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Bob: we can extrapolate the nature of a planet by its reflectivity as well as by sending satellites behind it, then analyzing the spectral shift of the light these satellites emit as this passes through the planet's atmosphere; its rotational velocity using redshifting or blueshifting of light, and its period of revolution around the Sun using Kepler's Third Law. Knowing the period (and from this, it's orbital "width") we can determine its mass. We can also determine its general temperature by determining it's albedo, (that light reflected, not emitted from the planet)~ once this is known, we then know it's true luminosity, and can calculate how much heat there ought to be to make it as bright as it is.

------------------
"I Ride the Stormcloud and the Night!"

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.195.208

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05