my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Our Galaxy.......   » Leaving Orbit....   » One of Our Neighbors

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: One of Our Neighbors
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 08-26-2000 09:17 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This is a picture of M31, affectionately known as the Great Spiral Galaxy in Andromeda, or, the "Andromeda Nebula." Nebula is a term that means "cloud;" before our telescopes got very good, most things we now know to be clusters of stars or galaxies were called "nebula" because they looked blurry and fuzzy. This one is the largest of the "Local Group" of which the Milky Way is a part: it is approximately 2.3 million lightyears away from us. On a clear night you can see this with the naked eye, and with a really dark sky it is about as large as the length of your hand held out at arm's length. You can view it best on a dark, clear and cold winter's night (in the Northern Hemisphere).

------------------
"I Ride the Stormcloud and the Night!"

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.195.184
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 08-26-2000 09:46 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So, thats a star?

------------------
Anakin
[monger=ff0000,ffffff]Holonet Jedi Master[/monger]
Forum Administrator

-Have you mowed your lawn today?-
-Trying is the first step towards failure......-
-Mama always said life was like a box of chocolates.....-

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 166.62.44.75
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 08-26-2000 09:53 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nope, this is another galaxy, a spiral galaxy like our own. It is made up of billions of stars!

------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.195.184
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 08-26-2000 11:23 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i knew that

------------------
Anakin
[monger=ff0000,ffffff]Holonet Jedi Master[/monger]
Forum Administrator

-Have you mowed your lawn today?-
-Trying is the first step towards failure......-
-Mama always said life was like a box of chocolates.....-

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 166.62.44.75
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 08-27-2000 05:43 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I knew you knew, you know...?

------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.200.33

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05